Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
rolling out

I belive the interior skin would need to be removed to "roll it out" not sure what can be done. I called several local dent removal guys, not a one would touch the Airstream for the dent this thread was started for. On the plus side, I have now located and bought an NOS panel for replacement, plus two other panels. Now I need to shop for panel repalcement places/prices. Good uck with your Tradewind. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlchk1 View Post
I have a question about "rolling out" dents. I'm assuming this requires removal of the skin, right?

From what I've read, it seems that we'll be able to pull out the large shallow dent on the top, but that front curbside panel looks pretty crunchy. Don't know if it is even a good candidate for rolling out, but you guys have posted a lot of inspiration.

Any estimates on what it would cost to replace? It's a '73 Tradewind.

(And while we're at it, can I get an "M"?)

Thank you!

Alana
The top dent looks a lot like the one I pushed and rolled from the inside. See my forum blog. Link is under my user information to the left of this post.

I would protect your window with a rock guard. The rock guard will sort of hide your damaged window until you get it replaced. When you get the damaged window replaced, you'll want the rock guard anyway.

Your lower panel is damage I would cover with two lower panel Wrap Protectors until the damaged panel is replaced.
After the repairs are made the protectors will be nice to have installed to prevent or minimize future damage.

Those are made for older trailers as well as newer ones.

My .02 :-)

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #43
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
suck it up! or out!

this past summer, I met quite a few-new to me-streamers. One, and I wish I could remember his name, had used a plastic tub with an appropriate hole/hookup in the bottom; placed over the dent and a vacuum cleaner attached. His dent was barely noticeable, and the dent had crowned the edges (a crease)-looked really good. rolling is good, but I suspect very light pressure is used. Bill G. out here in Oregon, showed me some dents he relieved (pushed out) with smoothed end wooden pieces-from holes he made in the inside panel(s) -the holes were either behind something easily removed, or something new used to cover them after the repair-saved removing interior panels. I also met a north bound tree with the south end of my trailer, and ended up selling the trailer-no, not because of the dent....well, maybe. Going back to the tub, a seal can be made with lots of materials-from water (poor) to vulkem (ugh) with poli-dent in between (notice the name, please). even a dense foam rubber "gasket" could be made. pretty cool idea.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #44
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Dent Fix. Before during and after.

Airstream Dent Repair

Click the above link.
I set up a blog site that goes into some detail on my dent problem and repair. It's mostly stuff that I have gathered from the Airstream Forums, but kind of linked together to offer some hints. Hope the link works.
cheers, bill b.