Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Sharp Sheet Metal Screws!!

The screens on my 25' Classic are screwed to the window frames using 3/4" #8 sheet metal screws with a white painted head. If you leave your windows open at camp grounds, eventually you'll be cleaning the sills of your windows, which you have to do from outside. Well these sheet metal screws are way to long for the job that they do. They stick out a good 1/2" past the frame and will cut your hand if your not really carefull. I went to the big box hardware store and bought the same #8 screws only 1/2" instead then I cut off the points with a pair of snips and ground the points flat using an abrasive wheel on a Dremel tool.. The screws are now only 3/8" long ;big difference. Tighten them down and they only protrude about 1/8" past the frame at the most and the holding power is just as good. Now you can get a cleaning rag in there with out fear of cutting yourself. Don't look for these screws in the hardware section instead you'll find them in the section with down spouts and gutters. Seems like a lot of work but it really isn't. You only need to change out the bottom row and I did the first screw up either side also. I also changed out all the exterior rusting steel screws on the exterior of the trailer with stainless steel.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Thanks

Great tip Craftsman2.......I have wondered if those screws were only in my AS since none of the screws used are sized properly throught my unit. Either too long or too short or too fat or too thin. And of course, there are the rusty ones. Basically, we have been screwed as far as fasteners go, pun intended.

Airstream needs new engineers to improve screwing procedures.

Time
Old 05-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I had that problem on the Excella, so I guess they've been doing that same dumb stunt for years and years. I replace the screws with truss head SS 8/32 machine screws and aluminum rivet nuts made by Gesipa.

http://www.gesipausa.com/olympic.htm

I bought the tool from McMaster-Carr. I use it all the time and have replaced fasteners all over the rig. You can get aluminum or steel inserts in various sizes. It gives a much more professional result. I'll post some pics of the tool and the screen modification.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
_

. , .
yea those screws are part of the airstream security system...

when a bad guy tries to enter via an open window...

he gets poked or ruins a fresh manicure!

i've considered using a dremel to cut off the current screws and soften the tips...

every time i clean those channels...

good tip craftsman...

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
I like your replacement idea - I have a few nicks from cleaning windows too.

I got a new Dremel tool as a premium for a hotel/travel club I belong to because I travel a lot for my job. Its second use (the first was to sharpen lawnmower blades) will be to smooth the corners of the 'gutters' above each window. I've Walbernized our AS four times already and all four times managed to peel many layers of skin off my fingers as I ran into these babies.
Shame on me for not learning the first time, but I'm SURE there are others of you out there who have done the same.

I'll try the Dremel on the screws as well!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you prefer not to cut the screws off. Take a small paint brush and cover the tip of the screw with this stuff. It comes in clear and will cushion the sharp edge.

Clear Plasti Dip Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating, Dipping Can, 14.5 Fluid oz. - PLD-11609-6
$7.99
Description | Warranty
Clear Plasti Dip Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating, Dipping Can, 14.5 Fluid oz.

Plasti Dip multi-purpose coatings allow you to rubberize just about anything! Plasti Dip is a flexable synthetic multi-purpose coating that exhibits excellent moisture, acid, alkaline, and abrasion resistance.
  • Flexable - Won't crack, chip, or become brittle
  • Insulates - Electrical shock, vibration, and heat
  • Grip - Provides safe non-slip comfort and control
  • Durable - Resists weather, chemicals, impact, and abrasion

Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Riv-nuts! Great idea... thanks now I have an excuse to have bought another tool
Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Here are some shots of the Gesipa riv-nut system. They come in various sizes and grip ranges. These are 8/32. One nice thing is that these nuts are serrated, so that they grip wdhen they are set with the tool and wont work loose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	36623   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0011.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	36624  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0013.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	36625   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0005.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	36626  

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Old 05-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Actually from a manufacturing standpoint all screws the lenght of the longest necessary for the trailer makes it so the people assembling do not have to worry about which screw for which hole.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Be careful with rivnuts. We use them in airplanes and I hate them. It is very easy to over stress them putting them in and is the nut gets loose the screw is nearly impossible to remove or insert.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
How True !!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Be careful with rivnuts. We use them in airplanes and I hate them. It is very easy to over stress them putting them in and is the nut gets loose the screw is nearly impossible to remove or insert.
I'm with ya Michelle!!!! Been There....Done That!!! I used Riv-nuts extensively when I built my Lexan hurrican shutter system. They work great until they don't........then they are a royal PIA to remove. If they are loose and spinning, it's really hard to get the drill bit to bite.

Other than that.....they're great!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I also hate rivnuts for the same reasons stated by Lewster and thecatsandi. I.ll put in a nutplate anytime over a rivnut. Once a spinning rivnut is removed the nole is so big nothing can be done with it. We don't use them at all on either of our aircraft.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Rivnuts definatly have their place but with the screens and frames it's not only the sharpness of a sheet metal screw sticking past the frame it's the length. The idea was to not only eliminate the point but to reduce the length to the shortest possible so that you can actually clean the sills with a minimum of obstruction. My wife has the digital camera in Holland and I'll take some photo's this weekend when she returns.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
So now I need a MIG welder to tack down the riv-nuts, bonus tool!

Maybe Screendoor insert panel clips into liners and do away with through-bolts into window frame all together... There are myraid flavors of little clips available - one of them surely could be adapted?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
I'm with the other airplane folks! Down on rivnuts! altho in this application when one starts spinning you can get to the back side and clamp on a pair of vicegrips so you can drill it out. I pull my screens every so often to hose them off do a good cleaning, while they are off I then detail the frame work with no screws to cut me up. As I'm redoing my window treatment I'll be tapping out all the holes that hold the screens in place and replacing with truss head machine screws, and a dab of loctite. Just my input. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Back in 2003, replacing these ghastly screws with stainless bolts was described here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f164...ment-8426.html?

Nick.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

And, in 2004:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/92706-post5.html

Nick.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Deja vu-all over again?

Old 05-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Nick, good detective work. I actually thought about nuts, washers and bolts but I thought it may just be to much work if I ever had to remove the screens for cleaning. It' is a good option though.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
Deja vu-all over again?
Yes, unfortunately. The current method of using the sharp screws is certainly the least skilled, quickest, easiest and most horrible way to install the screens.
Nick.