Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
Second skin

Okay, I've been pondering since I got my AS but can't decide the right answer. My streetside outer skin (above the belly pan and mostly below the windows) has probably been replaced. The rivets don't quite match. I'm inside today finishing removing the interior skins (again) and realize that the curbside exterior skin has two layers...noticeable because the interior layer has a big ragged hole in it. Then I see that the streetside also has two layers...there's small holes in the inside layer and I see the second, outside layer. The length of the trailer is double, so almost the full 30'. It's only that section, though - not at window height or above.

So, is this normal?
ltenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
That is how they are sometimes repaired,it`s easier to throw on a new skin over the old one ,instead of taking off the old.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Post some pictures that will show what you are talking about.... But from your description it doesn't seem "normal". There is traditionally a outer skin then wiring and insulation then the interior skin and endcaps. Does the double skin go above the windows? Is this double skin on both sides? Does the banana (trim) wrap look the same on both sides?

Very interesting ... Please post some pics!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
If I am not mistaken, this is a clear indication that the exterior skin has been replaced by scabbing it over the original skin. While not "normal", it is probably not "unusual" either!

Flyncld
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Lorton , Virginia
I'll post some pictures tomorrow - it's raining and very dark out by the old girl...and if it helps to clarify it's a double outer skin. The interior skin is off, the insulation is out, I see the ribs and the shiny exterior skin...atleast the inside of the first layer of exterior skin...see? Look for pictures in the morning!
ltenbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltenbrink View Post
I'll post some pictures tomorrow - it's raining and very dark out by the old girl...and if it helps to clarify it's a double outer skin. The interior skin is off, the insulation is out, I see the ribs and the shiny exterior skin...atleast the inside of the first layer of exterior skin...see? Look for pictures in the morning!
Leah.

The second sheet of metal really doesn't hurt anything, "IF" it was properly installed.

Since you have the interior metal off, I would suggest that you put a liberal coating of Vulkem sealer on the back side of all the rivets holding those two sheets together.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
double skin, exterior skin