Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Sealing rivets

While working on sealing a seam on a 73 Streamline I noticed a few small bubbles coming from under a rivet head. Any suggestions on weather sealing old rivets?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Clean around the rivet and then use parbond around it.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Or it's an excellent application for Captain Tolleys Creeping crack cure. Available at VTS or west marine. It's clear and a water like consistency. You put it on and if it wicks in you have a leak, you keep applying small amounts til it no longer wicks in. I like it because its invisible and you know when the leak is gone.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
A second for Captain Tolleys. I've used it and it works great.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
And... a third. Rivets are a perfect application for Captain Tolley's Creaping Crack cure.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't have any Parbond, but I have a tube of Alcoa Gutterseal. If I remember right, I was told it can be substituted for Parbond. Anybody know?

I'm thinking mainly for overlapping panel seams. But I can also try it on the rivets.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
You can use it around the rivets...smear it in with your finger & then clean it up with mineral spirits. I've also started using the Capt'n Trolley, but in the past have used Parbond, which is pretty much like the Alcoa stuff.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
How durable is the Captain Trolley's? I know the Trempro Polyurethene is rated for about 10 years.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You really want something that does not leave a big ugly blob like the Trempro. The Trempro is not as great as people think. I used some on the skylight of my house to seal some leaks and the stuff has dried and cracked in about a year. To be fair, the skylight housings get really hot because they are almost black. The stuff holds up better on the trailer. Parbond or the crack cream stuff above is what I would use.

Perry
Old 09-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You really want something that does not leave a big ugly blob like the Trempro.

Perry
Yeah, I tried the Trempro because it was what I had on hand at the time. I cut the smallest hole I could to leave the smallest bead. Then wiped the surplus away while trying to force it into the seam. No neat way to do it.

By the way, what do you think about drilling a few drain holes through the floor at the bottom of the walls while I have the interior panelling off in the areas that were prone to leaking to prevent future water damage if the leak reoccurs?

Did I mention I found the side wall of the trailer was somehow pushed in an inch or 2. This corresponded with some PO's feeble attempt to silicone the sucker. I figure whatever caused the deformity popped the seam, and maybe others in the front end. I was able to push it back out with a hydraulic jack and some lumber. There is also a 4" strip of fabric with some black roof flashing type sealer. Looks intact and like it might be factory, but I may go over it with some kind of sealer.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If you have the walls out I would seal any gaps in the C-channel and put in some drains that are tubes that won't let the water soak the floor as it leaves. Seal any penetrations in the C-channel. I would put drains at both ends of a section of C-channel so water will run to the drain that is the most downhill. I used 3/8" stainless steel tubing with a flare on one end and then parbonded the flared in where it hit the C-channel. The newer Airstreams put drain holes on the outside edges of the C-channel which came out under the rub rail trim. This only works where the C-channel also has a lower lip that covers the edge of the floor. Older trailers don't have this lip or they have it only on the straight sections like mine does. So if you don't have that lower c-channel lip for the floor a drain hole is just going to soak the floor so that is why I used a tube with the top end glued to the c-channel and the bottom end goes into the belly pan. I did a post on this a while back. Here is that post.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...e-87457-7.html

Perry
Old 09-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I've had Capt. Tolley's exposed to the GA sun for 4 years now with no apparent degradation.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
If you have the walls out I would seal any gaps in the C-channel and put in some drains

Perry
To my surprise the inside of the Streamline outside skins have a layer of spray foam insulation that extends down to what I assume is a C channel. Also a couple of mouse nests. I will have to clear a section out to check the C channel. The spray foam is about 1" thick and there is no other insulation. It is possible that a leak may run down behind the foam and the outer skin. While I have the walls out I figure I might as well add some 2" fiberglass for good measure.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Capt. Tolley's

We took everyone's advice and ordered some Capt. Tolley's on Sat. from John Millen Hardware. They had the lowest price we could find online and also offered the 8 oz. size. So we bit the bullet and ordered it. If it works as great as you folks say and as great as John Millen Hardware's customer service, we will be more than pleased! We received it today (Monday)! WOW!
pattydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The thing that is nice about Capt. Tolleys is that it wicks deep onto the rivet hole and fills the empty voids. Thicker sealers can only provide a "cap". I decided to seal all my roof rivets while doing spring maintenance last year. All but 3 rivets "puddled" immediately, indicating no porosity. Three rivets displayed the Crack cure being "absorbed" below the surface. I had never seen or suspected a leak, but there was most probably a seep.

After 2 - 3 applications of Tolley's, the rivets were sealed and the last application pooled up on the surface.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1966 24' Tradewind
Franklin , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
While working on sealing a seam on a 73 Streamline I noticed a few small bubbles coming from under a rivet head. Any suggestions on weather sealing old rivets?
I have replaced the rivets that have any movement, but have used captain tollys creating crack cure for now while I have the exterior stripped to rewire and refinish my tradewind. I am wire brushing the interior side of the rivet where corrosion revealed the leaks.
geodazed is offline   Reply With Quote