Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Anti Seize is never a bad idea with heat and corrosion environments.

Perry

Old 05-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
If anti-seize is used it should be zinc based anti-seize with no copper content according to the builder of my aluminium jet boat. Loctite product number 39901 is zinc based and will minimize galvanic corrosion.

Also, I would not use zinc plated washers or any zinc plated fasteners because the zinc acts as a sacrificial anode and after a few years the underlying carbon steel will come into contact with the aluminium resulting in corrosion.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The double dip galvanized steel washers are made for corrosive environments and that is why the coating is so thick. Stainless steel is fine as well but it might tend to corrode the aluminum since it is cathodic to aluminum.

Perry
Old 05-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
If anti-seize is used it should be zinc based anti-seize with no copper content according to the builder of my aluminium jet boat. Loctite product number 39901 is zinc based and will minimize galvanic corrosion.

Also, I would not use zinc plated washers or any zinc plated fasteners because the zinc acts as a sacrificial anode and after a few years the underlying carbon steel will come into contact with the aluminium resulting in corrosion.

All these products minimize galvanic corrosion--that's what we're talking about here. I personally don't buy your jet boat builder's no copper story since original Permatex has been used on aluminum in the saltwater/aluminum boating industry, with no problems, long before Locktite ever produced an anti seize product. That said, if one is afraid of copper, use a copper free product. Heck, use the food safe stuff if you want, just use Stainless and some anti seize--done deal.
Howard

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-24-2015, 01:20 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
All these products minimize galvanic corrosion--that's what we're talking about here. I personally don't buy your jet boat builder's no copper story since original Permatex has been used on aluminum in the saltwater/aluminum boating industry, with no problems, long before Locktite ever produced an anti seize product. That said, if one is afraid of copper, use a copper free product. Heck, use the food safe stuff if you want, just use Stainless and some anti seize--done deal.
Howard

My North River Commander 21 is nine years old without any signs of corrosion so I'll go with what the builder recommends. In the late 80s I owned a marine repair business and we drilled out many corroded bolts from out drives and out boards. Preventative maintenance has come a long ways since then so I'll go with what the guys recommend that build the high dollar aluminium toys today. All we can do is post recommendations for the original poster and from that, he/she can make a decision or seek more competent advice.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Absolutely, to each his own. Just use something