Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
screwed and riveted

We've noticed alot of screws on our "all riveted" '52 Cruiser. On the exterior they appear in repairs to the belly pan and around many of the window frames. Is it correct to assume that the screws around the windows were originally rivets, and is it good idea to replace them (no leaks currently, but most are rusted/ corroded)? On the interior there are also alot of screws, mainly on the lower panels. The heads are covered in the original Zolatone finish, which makes me wonder if they are original? Sure makes it easier to remove the panels, but should we replace with rivets?
Doug
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
That is a tough call. The screws have probably enlarged the holes. They also will not leave the good clean hole you need for a rivet to seal properly. OTOH leaving them in will cause future problems, they are already beginning to rust. The reaction between the steel and aluminum will eventually destroy both metals and cause leaks. You could replace the screws with stainless ones, the reaction between the metals will be less severe.

If you replace them with rivets you will have to use a larger size (redrill all the holes) to get a good flat surface beneath the head for a good seal or again risk leaks.

The interior ones I would leave alone. If they are sealed beneath the Zolotone the corrosion should be less severe; water will accelerate the corrosion and hopefully they are sealed well enough that they aren't as severe as the outside. You could peel a little back in an inconspicuous area to see how bad it is.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
John,
It makes sense, what you wrote. I noticed that some screws in the belly pan have corroded through the alum. sheets. I think we'll replace exterior screws with stainless steel ones and leave the interior alone. Thanks for helping us think about this.
Doug
Old 05-14-2003, 05:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Nutty.com has a good selection and price on stainless fasteners. I would get large washers for under the head also, especially those on the belly.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003, 06:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Thanks, John. I'll check out the link.
Doug