Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #1

1992 34' Excella
West Liberty , Kentucky
rivit leaks

I have been noticing a small amount or moisture build up around pop rivet in the ceiling thru the length of my 92 34. Could this be just condensation or Could it be a bad leak?
chunk257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
It could be either. As for the possibility of a leak, I would concentrate on sealing the roof seams and those around vents, plumbing pipes, and the AC.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
More likely is thermal transfer from the outer skin to the rib to the inner skin then the pop rivet. If it is cooler outside, any moisture inside the coach will condense on the cooler rib lines and rivets.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk257 View Post
I have been noticing a small amount or moisture build up around pop rivet in the ceiling thru the length of my 92 34. Could this be just condensation or Could it be a bad leak?
Water leaks from the rain would almost always be in a small location.

Water on rivet heads thru out the trailer would most likely be simple condensation.

The easy fix, contrary to some opinions, is real easy.

Run the AC in cooler weather along with the furnace. It takes a little time to learn where to set each thermostat, but again, it's a simple task.

Once you have them set correctly, the interior air will be warm and the interior humidity will be lowered to the point that the moisture on the rivet heads will disappear.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunk257 View Post
Considering it's along the length of the trailer just on top then most likely condensation as atomic 13 suggests warm moist air rising to ceiling cold ribs transferring heat
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Airstream didn't add a thermal barrier along the ribs until the latter 90s. It only cured the condensation along the rib lines, did nothing for the dripping pop rivet heads!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:34 AM   #7

1992 34' Excella
West Liberty , Kentucky
Thanks all the replies,I can't run the AC at this time but I will when I get home. I feel sure now, after hearing for you folks and some of the guys in our unit that it's condensation. Lowering the humidity will certainly remedy the problem.
chunk257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Water leaks from the rain would almost always be in a small location.

Water on rivet heads thru out the trailer would most likely be simple condensation.

The easy fix, contrary to some opinions, is real easy.

Run the AC in cooler weather along with the furnace. It takes a little time to learn where to set each thermostat, but again, it's a simple task.

Once you have them set correctly, the interior air will be warm and the interior humidity will be lowered to the point that the moisture on the rivet heads will disappear.

Andy
Andy, could you expand on that idea of running the AC and the furnace at the same time to reduce condensation. We are going to be traveling in our 310 for a few weeks this winter and need all the info I can get on winter camping. So does the AC continue to dehumidify even when its not cooling??

Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Pretty standard idea, I think. In my wife's Honda, switching to windshield defrost turns on both the heater and the AC at the same time.

Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Andy, could you expand on that idea of running the AC and the furnace at the same time to reduce condensation. We are going to be traveling in our 310 for a few weeks this winter and need all the info I can get on winter camping. So does the AC continue to dehumidify even when its not cooling??

Mike
Old 10-03-2015, 07:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Right, I know that but I guess I never thought of applying it to the heating n air in my 310. For instance, I wouldnt run the AC and the furnace in my home. Soooo, I am wondering, if I turn on the AC but leave the thermostat down low enough that the unit is still running but not cooling, is the AC still dehumidifying the air. Sounds like a great idea if one can get the balance right. Like you said in a car, the AC kicks on when you turn on the defroster but the air thats blowing is still warm from the heater. So its dehimidifying but not cooling the air.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Wouldn't it be easier cheaper to either leave a window or vent cracked open, or use a dehumidifier?
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Maybe, I dont know. Andy from Inland is "da man" when it comes to Airstreams so I guess thats why Im interested. Plus we are going to be on an extended cold weather trip in a few months so I want to gather as much info as I can. I know I dont want to carry a dehumidifier if the AC will do the same thing and its mounted on the roof and doesnt take up storage space. I think most folks DO crack a window to help with the condensation, of course youre introducing cold air.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Maybe, I dont know. Andy from Inland is "da man" when it comes to Airstreams so I guess thats why Im interested. Plus we are going to be on an extended cold weather trip in a few months so I want to gather as much info as I can. I know I dont want to carry a dehumidifier if the AC will do the same thing and its mounted on the roof and doesnt take up storage space. I think most folks DO crack a window to help with the condensation, of course youre introducing cold air.
Set the furnace to 78 degrees.

Set the AC to 79 degrees.

Then, go from there.

CAUTION: Those temps are an example only.

Always set the AC just a degree or two above the furnace temp.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Andy has the right idea. This same technique is used in buildings as well. If the air outside is dry then vent in some outside air. If it is cold and wet you have no choice but to run the AC and the furnace or get a dehumidifier which really amounts to an AC unit.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
So, i dont have a thermostat with settings by degrees, its the old Coleman Mach with a rotary sw to set temp. Is the objective to get the AC to run but not have the compressor kick in? (My AC knowledge is pretty limited)
Old 10-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
The goal is to get the ac to run once in a while to act as a dehumidifier but not overwhelm the furnace. Compressor will run. You end up cooling and heating thectrailer at the same time. A dehumidifier would be the better option if you have room.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thanks, that what I was looking for. Thank you for the explanation.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #18
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I had a hard sided popup. It sweated alot inside during damp, rainy conditions. I often ran a heater and the AC to keep the air dry.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote