Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #1
@steadystreamincashios

1968 28' Ambassador
1964 26' Overlander
1976 Argosy 26
Heber Springs , Arkansas
Rivets, rivet guns.. need answers

So, I know the difference between pop and solid(buck) rivets. But what I do not know is if they could somehow use the same gun? My dad was able to get me an Astro PR14 air riveter. I had sent him a picture of the kit VTS has on the website and a link from northern tool of a buck riveting gun. He said Amazon had the picture of the same kit from northern tool but what was shipped was obviously the Astro PR14.. now I know they look totally different. But is there anyway I could buck rivet with this gun, or do I need to go ahead and get another gun?? Thanks for your help. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7154.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	290429
Zcashio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcashio View Post
So, I know the difference between pop and solid(buck) rivets. But what I do not know is if they could somehow use the same gun? My dad was able to get me an Astro PR14 air riveter. I had sent him a picture of the kit VTS has on the website and a link from northern tool of a buck riveting gun. He said Amazon had the picture of the same kit from northern tool but what was shipped was obviously the Astro PR14.. now I know they look totally different. But is there anyway I could buck rivet with this gun, or do I need to go ahead and get another gun?? Thanks for your help. Attachment 290429
No way to buck rivet with that, pop rivets only. Bucks need a gun like an air hammer.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
@steadystreamincashios

1968 28' Ambassador
1964 26' Overlander
1976 Argosy 26
Heber Springs , Arkansas
Ok thanks for the quick response. I figured it couldn't work. Was making sure before I bought one.

Thanks again
Zcashio is offline   Reply With Quote