Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

victoria , british columbia
rivets

i am new to the forum have an airstream 22cd 2005 and live in bc canada have found some rivits missing, could some kind person tell me which rivits i should purchase and what type of rivit gun, i also have some water leaks and was told to seal all the lights as these are the main culprits, but what happens if a bulb blow

thanks

david
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
With a 2005 trailer, shouldn't these things still be covered under your warranty?

If you do a search using "rivet(s)" you will find several threads that may help. Also, try "parabond", "silkaflex" & "vulkem" for the caulking threads.

Shari

P.S. Welcome to the forums, you'll find all kinds of friendly, helpful members who have "been there, done that" that are willing to help.
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Do you not have warranty service available to you in BC? Those sound like very valid warranty issues, you shouldn't have to do it yourself.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
If your trailer is still under warranty, they (the dealer or factory) will replace the rivets. I had some missing inside and they (the factory) took care of it.

They use different types of rivets inside the trailer than outside, so one type of rivet won't work in all instances.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

victoria , british columbia
rivets missing

i live on vancouver island the only airstream dealer is in vancouver it would cost us $250 just for return ferry ride, so i will have to do some things myself, i just phoned airstream and they are sending me a tube of acrilar which they use to seal the outside seams with before they rivet, and they told me they use silkaflex on the roof, thank you all for a prompt reply

david
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Shari and David -- I think that's Parbond and Sikaflex 221 you want to be searching on. Many of us like the latter. It forms a skin in 12 hours or overnight -- where Vulkem is much lumpier and is messy for days and days.

Now ... markdoane and others have mentioned a thinner material that Airstream uses for sheetmetal lap joints. Though I've had success injecting Sikaflex 221 I was very intrigued with what markdoane was saying here 2-4 months ago. Anyone recall what that was or clues to the thread??

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Shari and David -- I think that's Parbond and Sikaflex 221 you want to be searching on.
You're right...I was in a hurry and didn't check my spelling. My guess is that a fair amount of threads will show up with the mis-spelled names to though!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
If you need some rivets for the outside ,you can order these from INland RV.
They"re not too expensive. There is also a special tip that shaves the head of the revit to the proper shape.Your normal electric drill with this tip will do the job!
However your trailer is probably still under warranty
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/ formerly Airstream Dreams is a good place to get rivets and sealants.

The 1/8 white rivets for the inside you can find at many home improvement places.

For outside, bulb-tite 5/32 rivets are usually used. The stem on these is designed to break outside the rivet so it can be shaved off to look like a bucked rivet. I find a dremmel works well for a small number of rivets. The official rivet shaver is rather expensive.

As noted, there are a lot of good discussions on these topics and enough information to cover about any contingency and really get you confused if you aren't careful.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I do what Bryan does to neaten the job.

The exterior large diameter domed rivets are solid rivets, which a 2nd worker bucked with a heavy tool inside as they were driven. Olympic is a common name for what Bryan is calling the 5/32" replacement -- these should be used for exterior major skin joints rather than 5/32 pop rivets. I certainly can recommend Vintage Trailer Supply! I feel most secure with the tiniest amount of Sikaflex around the rivet shank before I insert it. Don't use Olympics with the rubber O-ring (not usually sold through Vintage Trailer or InlandRV) -- remove it first if so.

Note the smaller rivet head diameter used inside -- you will find some places where they are used on the outside too. A conventional 1/8" all aluminum pop rivet is used for many interior and exterior applications. Be sure to buy the ones with the aluminum center shaft, not steel. These are available at hardware stores & home centers. The tool to drive pop rivets will be in the same display; it also works with the Olympics.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 03-05-2006, 08:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
By the way David -- Put some coins and plastic dinnerware on your CCD's counters. Drive down the road a ways. Check to see if things are getting bounced around. I'm wondering about your wheel/axle balancing if you've lost a number of rivets. Let us know...

It is not illegal to ride in a trailer in Minnesota, though it is not advised. Every state has a unique policy. Putting a real person in the trailer to report on the ride could tell you the same thing.

5 meter Langford Nahanni