Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2002, 08:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Riveting photos!

I don't know if it was just old age or maybe vibration, but the side trim popped off by the heater and the side of the door. So I drilled some new 5/32" holes and riveted with long Arrow rivets. Next time, I'll probably get medium rivets as the fit wasn't totally tight. Here's the side.
By the way - when I opened the furnace, I found the flame access door vibrated off, as did the knobs for the oven. All seemed to fit tightly, so the freq of vibration seems to be small but intense. I'll be looking into wheel/hub balancing soon!
Attached Images

3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Arrow rivet gun

I bought a swivel head Arrow rivet gun from Home Depot - $25.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2002, 08:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
All done!

Kind of fun! The rivets are aluminum to aviod galvonic rusting of dis-simular metals (but not Olympic Rivets They're not very noticably down low. Again, next time I'd use medium length rivets.
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2002, 08:59 PM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Did you use the 1/8" rivets with a 5/32 drill hole?
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Had to check!

Peter, I just ran down to the garage to check. I first used the 5/32" diameter "short" rivet with a 1/4"depth, but the trim panel was just a bit too thick to bite past the skins. When I returned to Home Depot, I couldn't remember what size depth I had, so I went with the "long" which has a 1/2" depth (worked nights, working on the trailer with 19hrs awake time and 5 hrs sleep time fades the brain at the end of the day/night ). "Medium" would be perfect.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:30 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Arrow rivets

I have used Arrow rivets on some modifications on my Overlander.

I now have purchased Olympic rivets.

Why, you ask?......... The old school of hard knocks!

The Arrow rivets merely swell at the aft end of the rivet. The original rivets pulled out due to vibration and twisting. You can minimize this vibration but pulling any trailer will induce vibration inherently. Roads are not like glass.

The point is, that my experience with Arrow rivets and the way that they work is that they will hold in the driveway but the "swell" of the rivet will literally vibrate and make the hole larger and larger with vibration. The hole will eventually get large enough thet the "swollen" rivet will come loose.

Olympic rivets actually work like a toggle bolt. The more tension that is pulled on the stem the more that the "wing" will spread out. The working part of the rivet is actullay the "wings" that are pulled against the back of the metal plate and not the pressure against the "hole" as in the Arrow rivet.

I have literally seen a good looking job that I done with Arrow rivets come apart on the first road trip due to this effect. I now use olympic rivets with no failure.

I am not necessarily promoting "Olympic" but if there is another brand of rivet that works the same way, I would buy them before I bought Arrow. Arrow rivets work great on stationary objects but not on objects that are subject to vibration.

I have attached this photo so you can see how the "wings" spread out and provide for extra backing against the rear of the plate. The hole would have to get VERY large for an olypic rivet to pull out.

Smily
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	olympic rivets.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	969  
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 09:34 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Can you get these rivets in different sizes? I have a supply of "olympics", but the source only had them in one size. I've got a couple of small holes I'd like to patch w/ rivets, but the holes are small (had an arrow pop-rivet holding something on in the past), and there isn't quite room for the chunky olympic rivet head. (you'd have to see it; the hole is really close to the lock for the fresh-water filler neck. a big fat olympic would bump up against the lock, which isn't flush w/ the skin.) drilling a bigger hole would allow the stem of the rivet inside...but the head wouldn't fit up against this obstruction.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Chuck,
The Olympic shaveable head rivets are not available smaller then 5/32. If I visualize your situation correct, couldn't you first trim or grind a flat edge on the side of the head to make it seat flush and then set it? You might have to enlarge the hole first with a #21 bit. The next problem lies in what is behind the skin. For the Olympic to work correct and leave the mandrel (stem) exposed for shaving, all three of the legs must be able to retract without hitting an obstruction or the mandrel will come out when you set it, leaving a hole in the rivet head.
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:45 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
Ken,

What do you use to shave the head of the Olympic rivets? I've seen a power shaver, but the cost seems high.
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 10:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Pepper,

If you don't have a lot of rivets this is something that seems to work well for me. I cut the stem as flush as possible with a set of dikes and then use my little right angle air grinder on them. It uses small abrasive pads which spin on with a little twist and are made by 3M. They come in different grits, differentiated by color.

My brother turned me on to them and he uses them on aluminum engine parts to remove gaskets, etc.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:00 AM   #11
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Proud

I am not the proud owner of a shaver but I have a Unit member that may loan one to me. It is really a simple tool but for some reason it is ridiculously expensive.

I have read where some folks shave it down with Dremel tool.

Depending on how many you have to do, I would consider this option but it is obvious that one might incur some damage with a runaway Dremel tool.

Sounds like grinding or polishing the head down some would be the solution to your fix.

I can assure you this, an Olympic will not give way to typical vibration.

Smily
Old 12-04-2002, 12:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
You guys are right, they are ridiculously expensive. So much that I have not sold the brand new one I have in the parts forum. I have it listed for $175 including postage which is cheaper then I have seen it anywhere, but people understandably don't want to buy something that expensive if they don't plan to get that much use out of it. I wish I could come up with a rental program for it and let everybody use it for a fraction of a new one.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:15 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Hi All,

Wish I had read this post earlier. I still have a lot of riveting to do though.

Do you need a special tool for the olympic rivet. I have one of the cheaper Arrow type rivet guns. It has about four different holes for different sized rivets. Nobody around here has Olympic rivets, I will need to mail order them. Can you get them at Lowe's or Home Depot?

Thanks
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 12:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Olympic rivets

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 01:06 PM   #15
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Rivet guns

You can use almost any rivet gun but you cannot buy at local hardware store.

See the link posted above for rivets or you can buy them on EBAY and I think that even a fellow on this forum is selling them in the parts section. (68Overlander)

Smily
Old 12-04-2002, 03:39 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Thanks guys, I found some about 100 miles away. Luckily I have someone over there today who will pick up a few for me. That is all I need right now. There a certainly a lot of rivet styles. I am constantly learning new things here.

Thanks

Jim
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 03:48 PM   #17
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Be aware of cheap rivet guns when using olympic rivets on the skin. Many of the cheapos will jump on the final pull leaving a nasty mark on the skin.
More info on olympic rivet installation and tools can be found in this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...s=&threadid=23
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2002, 06:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Vibration

Smiley - NOW you tell me! I'll keep an eye out on the Arrows and let you all know if they pull out. Just by the way though, I don't think the Olympic rivets were used on the bottom skin trim, as they look different and are much smaller than the rest of the skin rivets. The rivets I used are about twice the size as the old, so I'm fairly confident that they'll be fine (although they said the Titantic was unskinkable too!). Anyway, the Arrow rivet gun seemed easy to use, and the whole process was painless.
Marc