Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Rivet Shaver To buy or Rent????

I am looking for a Blind Rivet Head Shaver to rent or buy Will sent deposit to rent. I am located in Pittsburg, PA Area.

Thanks Don
srgntpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 05:43 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

OK I guess no bites......I think I am going to buy one as I have alot of rivets to finish.....Would anyone be interested in renting it from me?
Old 09-20-2003, 08:55 AM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Don, I'm curious

Have you shopped around for a shaver, and if so, how much do they cost? I've seen air powered shavers (quite expensive) but are there electric models available?
I've only had occasion to shave a couple dozen rivets on various trailers I've owned and I've used a mounted point (about $1 from a local hardware) in an electric drill. I would have to be faced with a LOT of rivets to justify the expense of a shaving tool.

Rog
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 09:26 AM   #4
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
As I have mentioned in the past, if we can get some sponsors, I think ti would be great to have some AirstreamForums.com tools available for members to share. The perfect example is a rivet shaver. Not moving parts to break etc...

FYI - I have heard of people snipping the rivets then using a dremel bit to round off the top. This would be a very tedious process if many rivets needed to be shaved, but if only a few it could be a cost effective solutions....

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Hey Rodg AS Dreams has Shavers that attach onto an elec. drill cost 179.99 They are the same type used in aircraft repairs. I am currently trying to find a aircraft tool supplier to try and find one cheaper. I may also try Snap-ON. Also what is a Mounted Point? I also agree that we should have a toll section avalible to members. If the Website would write me a tax reciept I may be interested in donating mine to the tool dept. when I am finished???? Happy Renovating/Repairing,

Don
Old 09-22-2003, 06:37 PM   #6
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Mounted points

They are miniature grindstones with a mandrel of 1/4" or less which fit in any electric drill.
Before using, you need to snip off the rivet shank with end snip pliers and then grind the remaining shank. Gotta be careful not to mar the trailer skin.
Attached Images

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 06:18 PM   #7

Add us to the waiting list if you decide to go with the shaving tool and offer it up for rent. We're still trying to figure out what we're doing (having owned our Safari for 10 days) but we suspect we just might become your best customers!

Antonia