Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
rivet shaver

I know I can dremel or file the top of the rivet and get something close, but does anyone know of rental companies that rent rivet shavers for the olympic 5/32 rivets? For as few as I have I hate in to invest a couple hundred bucks in a tool getting such little use.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
I know I can dremel or file the top of the rivet and get something close, but does anyone know of rental companies that rent rivet shavers for the olympic 5/32 rivets? For as few as I have I hate in to invest a couple hundred bucks in a tool getting such little use.
Scott.

The question would always be, who put a nick in it, since that can happen.

I think most companies have enough problems, without taking on that type rental.

The last time I just let someone borrow a shaver, at no cost, took me over 3 months to get it back.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
A rivet shaver is definitely worth the money...I know in the beginning of AirForums, there was some talk of having a "tool library", but I don't think that ever came to fruition.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I tried one and thought it was more trouble than it was worth. It might be a different story if you were doing a plethora of rivets.

Of course you could always buy one use it and sell it. I got mine on ebay cheap. Maybe that's why I didn't find it was all it was cracked up to be.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
so........can one dremel them with decent results? I have always thought that the shaver is just something you plan on having in your Airstream tool aresenal at some point.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Yes, you can Dremel each one individually - but you have to shape each one to a "perfect dome", which could take a couple of minutes. If you have more than a dozen or so - or are replacing an entire panel, a rivet shaver is definitely more productive. It perfectly shapes each one consistently in about 10-15 seconds. It is also less likely to slip off and mar the adjacent skin than a Dremel. A rivet shaver does have to be set properly for the depth and you need to get a feel for it - but if you practice on one or two trial rivets you'll get the hang of it in no time.

We replaced the entire streetside skin on our GlobeTrotter, the belly pan and all the drip caps on our Safari - those projects used way too many Olympic rivets (well over 800!) to even consider doing without a rivet shaver.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Go to an Airstream repair shop. Most will shave them for a minimum cost. last I heard it was $1 per rivet.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
I'll Shave Them

As Shari stated it is a must tool for the Airstreamer. I shaved every rivet inside the 59, so many I lost count and without that tool I would be dead in the water.

I you don't want to purchase one I can offer two or three options:
1. Go to a WI Unit rally, I always have mine with me and would be glad to shave what you have. I spend a great deal of time at our Unit rallies shaving rivets for our members. OR go to a local rally and ask around someone just might have one.
2. Go to the International Rally in Madison, again I will be there and will shave what you need.
3. If you are ever in WI swing by, I'll run out into the street and take care of the problem.

I think the key here is find a good hearted WBCCI member with a shaver and just ask!

Oh ya there is a fee, I can be bought for a couple of beers and a good conversation under the awning
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
I'd cost more overall to go to Spokane Airstream then to get a tool, but its a good idea for someone with an airsteam shop close. I'll also keep an eye on ebay etc. If a forums member has one they plan to sell hit me up too.

Don't have a lot of money to throw at the airstream right now, most is going for por-15, plywood, weatherstrip and all that stuff. I'll probably in the meantime just snip them as close to flush as I can get.

No rivet work or resealing today, this morning almost 5 new inches of unexpected snow. Had just finally had enough melt to see the metal on the AS again.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
I'd cost more overall to go to Spokane Airstream then to get a tool, but its a good idea for someone with an airsteam shop close. I'll also keep an eye on ebay etc. If a forums member has one they plan to sell hit me up too.

Don't have a lot of money to throw at the airstream right now, most is going for por-15, plywood, weatherstrip and all that stuff. I'll probably in the meantime just snip them as close to flush as I can get.

No rivet work or resealing today, this morning almost 5 new inches of unexpected snow. Had just finally had enough melt to see the metal on the AS again.

Thanks for the advice!
Scott.

I have thought about a rental program for the shaver, many times. But it'd a subject that makes a person scratch their head. Should I, shouldn't I?

Probably, when you consider the paper work time and the costs, the labor time, processing a credit card, credit card fees, shipping costs, taking a risk of damage, fighting with a credit card processing company in the case of a dispute, a total rental fee of maybe $50.00 would be fair.

But then, who would want to pay $50.00, just to shave a few rivets.

What would your suggestion be?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Wow, that is incredibly generous, Ed. You are clearly filled with The Airstream Spirit!

So far I've been shaving mine with a dremel. It is tedious and time-consuming. If I ever had to do a panel replacement, I would buy a rivet shaver, and just consider it the cost of Airstream repair.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Yes Ed, missed your post the first time. Its a good excuse to get out of the area and have some fun. Won't be road worthy for some time, but very cool you'd offer!

Andy, not sure on the business sense what would be good, I can see how renting would be a headache. Likely I'll end up buying one this summer, since I'll have a fair bit of outside work. Granted I've never used one (or seen one in person), just seems amazing that a drill attachment costs almost as much as a cyclo polisher!

Utee, wouldn't mind some pointers from you on what process you're using with a dremel, what bits you're using etc in the meantime.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Sure, I use one of those grinding bits that is sort of bullet-shaped. It has a curve to it, as well as a straight part. It takes a while per rivet, but I already owned it, and I do not yet own a rivet shaver, so free=good in this case.

I keep it on the lowest speed I can and still get effective grinding. The aluminum is soft and grinds pretty easily. Then, just hold it as steady as you can, so that it doesn't slip off and mar the surface of the aluminum panel.\

It's not particularly difficult, just takes time, and still does not ever look quite as good as a shaved rivet does.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
I have seen some "rentals" that sell you the tool for full retail, and if you return it within the time limit you get a partial refund. If somebody forgets to return it in time, or it looks like it got caught in a blender, they now own a rivet shaver, and the business renting it makes a sale.

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Scott,

See this thread post 30 - maybe you could "roll your own" for the size job you have out of surplus parts.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...t-40328-3.html

Tools and Hardware,Page 13
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Thanks Gary,that's a great resource, also other related tools as well. For that price it would be worth ordering and giving it a try. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
It's not so hot in WI in the Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Wow, that is incredibly generous, Ed. You are clearly filled with The Airstream Spirit!

So far I've been shaving mine with a dremel. It is tedious and time-consuming. If I ever had to do a panel replacement, I would buy a rivet shaver, and just consider it the cost of Airstream repair.
Airstream Spirit? Naw I just love to use that tool. Hook up and escape the mid summer Texas heat ( I hear that Texas is 3 feet from hell in the summer) and come to WI. We'll shave rivets until the battery dies in the drill!
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

If you only have a few rivets ask an Airstream dealer to shave them down for you. I agree, they are costly to buy. I bought mine at Vintage Trailer Supply.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Another thought Scott... I think shops that work on box bodies for trucks use the Bulb rivet.. (like Weisco, or other body shops that make the 10' cube vans, Uhauls and the like)...

Anyone around you that may grind the rivets for the trucks?

I too have some exterior patches to do.. (I have entertained a streetside skin repair.... but really don't want to). For just the patches, I'll use my Dremel... how about painters tape around the rivet to protect the skin?

Rain - about 36 degrees here... all the passes are closed though....
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Another thought Scott... I think shops that work on box bodies for trucks use the Bulb rivet.. (like Weisco, or other body shops that make the 10' cube vans, Uhauls and the like)...

Anyone around you that may grind the rivets for the trucks?

I too have some exterior patches to do.. (I have entertained a streetside skin repair.... but really don't want to). For just the patches, I'll use my Dremel... how about painters tape around the rivet to protect the skin?

Rain - about 36 degrees here... all the passes are closed though....
Marc
I know virtually nothing about this topic - just reading to try to learn in case I ever have to have a go at it!

But, it occurs to me that if you are going to try to use a dremel to dress the head, wouldn't a very thin metal shield - stainless or alum - with a hole in it sized to fit around the rivet head be a good way to protect the surrounding trailer skin against a slip of the dremel? I would think that if you tried to protect the trailer skin with tape, the dremel would go thru it like a shot.

I picture it as nothing more than say a 2" square of thin sheet metal (almost like a draftsman's erasing template) with a central hole to match the rivet head that you would just tape in place before starting to dress the rivet head.

Apologies if this sounds like rubbish - as stated i've never had occasion to do anything with rivets on my trailer - yet!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote