Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Murray , Utah
Rivet Shaver

I found the following on fleabay and am curious to know if it will do the trick for the Olympic rivets. Help?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ZEPYH...2517QQtcZphoto

69 Overlander
01 Suburban
Hind-Sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:17 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Andy,
It does not look like the cutters have the proper profile for Olympic rivets. I would ask the seller if they have Olumpic rivet cutters.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
It is an Aircraft Microstop for countersinking rivets, with cutters for shaving MS20426-X-X rivets. It will work to shave the stems flat on top but not contoured.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Bad Bad Bad

I was about to buy one of this style and I just happened to find a post that was refering to this style of shaver, best sugestion I could find was JUST SAY NO!! I went the purest route and did the buck method. But unless you are to have acesses to the rear of the exterior skin then that will not work. If you are talking 10-30 shaves a Dremmel tool could work, but be prepaled to practice first and polish the head when you are done. Looking at 30-60 the you might want to bight the bullet and buy the shaver, but just as any new tool study the instructions (I know it goes against all guy rules and a beer can will hit me in the head) because the major cost of the tool is in the working part of the tool the blades. Mess thoes up and its bad word time. If your looking at 100's of rivets Look into bucking the rivets like it was done originaly, but you will need to remove the inner skins. It was intimidating at first but with just a little pratice NO PROBLEM. Good luck!
Beau
Old 10-14-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Lillian , Alabama
I was wondering if the Olympic rivets provide a better water seal if they are finished properly with a shaving tool? I recently installed two of them and used small diamond files to finish them off, and was not real happy with the appearance. They pass a casual inspection, but if you look close you can see they are not very well done and I was wondering about water penetration.
brijbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:30 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Seals

HUM...
With the Olympic rivets they have a rubber seal on the back I believe. But as with any rubber gasket give it some time and the gasket will go bye bye. I can not tell you how many times while repairing metal roofing that we as a crew would go through and replace the screws because the rubber backing deteriorated and allowed a leak. I know that Airstream sells a sealant that is used in the space in-between the gap of the panels. The back of my panels have a tar like substance sprayed on the back that was used to seal the seam. I plan on using Vulkem to join any new panels and the sealant to help avoid leaks. I have heard of some people removing the gaskets on the Olympic rivets and using Vulkem to seal it prior to install. I did a quick look but did not find the post I found it in, find it before trying that trick I could be wrong. I hope that is at least as clear as mud.
Beau
Old 10-16-2006, 11:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello ,
Do not use the olympics with the black seal ,even advised by Inland Andy .
they will leak and will not provide the clamping force they can achieve without that squishy seal .Vulkem or the 636 stuff I believe is the sealer to dab under the rivit head prior to setting it.Many posts on this subject on exterior ,rivits etc.

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Lightbulb This might help

Check out this thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...=Olympic+rivet
Lots of good info and pictures.