Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Aurora , Colorado
Rivet one stop shop.

Hi, I am relatively new to the forum and currently looking at a 71 31'Soverign. It will need work, eventually it will be gutted and rehabbed.
I have been reading all kinds of posts on rivets.

Is there a sticky, or one definitive post someone could direct me to, which would explain the different rivets, what they look like and where they should be used.
Where is a good source for the proper rivets I will need?

Here is a description of the rivet gun I am looking at getting:
• Power, control and industrial durability make these a popular choice for driving solid rivets
• Excellent teasing trigger for precise control and upset uniformity
• Beehive style retaining spring and air flow control valve are included
• Most parts are interchangeable with Chicago Pneumatic 'X' series rivet guns
• 3X Gun: shank .401", capacity 3/16" aluminum rivet, BPM 2,160, length 6-1/2", 3 lb
• 4X Gun: shank .401", capacity 1/4" aluminum rivet, BPM 1,740, length 7-1/4", 3-1/4 lb

Should I get the 3X or the 4X gun?

This is the head I am also looking at:

ATIST1111BK1 Boeing® Design - Rivet Set
- Flush Anti - Slip Edge.
Manufactured to Boeing® specification, .401 shank,

2 1/2" length, 3/4" diameter face, polyurethane rim to
prevent slipping and damage to skin surface.

Thanks for the help

Todd

Tridaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, you could make it really easy by buying the buck riveting kit available from Vintage Trailer Supply. Might not be the BEST on the market, but you aren't building an airplane from scratch, you are doing repair work. As far as rivets goes, you can get these from VTS as well. Use the 5/32" Brazier head solid rivets for pretty much anywhere that you are replacing a bucked rivet. The only exceptions I can think of is in some of the window frames, there are smaller bucked rivets, but you may not need to take these apart.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-843.htm

You will also need a pneumatic pop-rivet gun. Most of the pop rivets in the trailer are either 1/8" or 3/16". A $30 gun from Harbor Freight will do the job just fine. You will never need a 1/4" mandrel pop rivet, so don't bother with the more expensive gun. Use only aluminum mandrel pop rivets. You can get these at the local hardware store, or from VTS and various online suppliers.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Aurora , Colorado
Thank you Belegedhel.
I am starting to gather tools and learn what I can. It is not a matter of if, but a matter of when I get an AS.

The kit looks like it is a good starting point.
Tridaddy is offline   Reply With Quote