Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Rivet guns ... looking to buy

Looking to buy a new rivet gun. Has anybody try-ed the below guns, one is listed on e-bay as new, also looking at ATS economy gun model 2602a.

Rivet Tools from Aircraft Spruce

Brand New 3X Rivet Gun For Aviation Repair & Kits! - eBay (item 130187585014 end time Feb-03-08 12:16:05 PST)

Thanks
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I bought the earlier model 2602 direct from ATS. It worked great. I see they have updated the design and the new one is lighter. I guess it would be as good as the older model.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Either gun is more then adequate. Pick the one with the lowest price including the shipping, If you don't already have the rivet set you will need one of those to,so it might be cheaper to get the gun and rivet set at the same time from Aircraft Spruce and save a little in shipping
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
Either gun is more then adequate. Pick the one with the lowest price including the shipping, If you don't already have the rivet set you will need one of those to,so it might be cheaper to get the gun and rivet set at the same time from Aircraft Spruce and save a little in shipping
Will go with the ATS 2602a model since they are a Michigan based company, need to support our Michigan Company's.........thanks Aerowood and Mark
Old 02-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
What type of rivet gun and rivet set in video?

What type of rivet gun and rivet set shown in the video?

Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Hard to say what kind of rivet gun he's using in the first half, but he is using a flush rivet set installing MS20426 countersunk or flush style rivets in either counterunk or dimpled holes. Hard to say what size and alloy he's shooting. They second half he is using a hand squeeze with flush sets. Rivets can't be over 1/8 diameter because you have to be a gorilla to hand squeeze any thing over a 1/8 rivet. Looks like he is working on a horizontal stab.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Rogue River , Oregon
There is a site I buy from that an aircraft worker friend told me about that sells new and used tools. They have a good catalog and web site. I have bought some used stuff and some new. There drill bits are good. It is at Welcome To The Yard Happy riveting
geezernbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
riveting

OK...I watched the You Tube video. Interesting but I could not see the bucking bar part in action. I did like the little hand tool which I am guessing is called a Hand Squeeze.

Aerowood seems to be the Rivet Master in more ways then one on this subject so a few questions if you can.

1. I have an older air hammer gun. Brand name is Rodac and made in the USA which also has an air volume dial. Kind of long on the top part of the body also which makes it feel heavier then it looks. It has a 3/8" shank. Can I use this gun with the correct shank?

2. Is the shank called a rivet shank or something else? I way surprised by the large head size of the one in the video. What size and name?

3. Hand squeeze best size?

I will print Aerowoods suggestions on rivet sizes etc. but am still trying to avoid the new air gun purchase. Me scottish is comin out!
Thanks for all the great info.
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
OK...I watched the You Tube video. Interesting but I could not see the bucking bar part in action. I did like the little hand tool which I am guessing is called a Hand Squeeze.

Aerowood seems to be the Rivet Master in more ways then one on this subject so a few questions if you can.

1. I have an older air hammer gun. Brand name is Rodac and made in the USA which also has an air volume dial. Kind of long on the top part of the body also which makes it feel heavier then it looks. It has a 3/8" shank. Can I use this gun with the correct shank?

2. Is the shank called a rivet shank or something else? I way surprised by the large head size of the one in the video. What size and name?

3. Hand squeeze best size?

I will print Aerowoods suggestions on rivet sizes etc. but am still trying to avoid the new air gun purchase. Me scottish is comin out!
Thanks for all the great info.
Gary
1) An air hammer and a rivet gun work and appear the same way but thats where it stops. In a pinch an air hammer will work but they are hard to control. The piston diameter and stroke length determine the rivet gun size. Many people have used air hammers to shoot solid shank rivets with good results but there is no standard on air hammers that I know of. The worst thing that could happen in using one would be driving the set through the shin or bouncing off the rivet and punching mulitiple dents a foot across the new skin. I do have an old Rodac air hammer and I would never use it on my A/S. Just no control on the trigger.
2) Shank size is the diameter of the rivet set that interfaces with the gun there are two sizes .401 for rivet guns to 4X and .498 for the big hitters 5X and above. The one in the video is a .401 shank with a mushroom head for flush rivets
3) A hand squeeze is only good for small 3/32 and 1/8 diameter rivets that both sides of the rivet are accessable, like on a closer rib. Not to many places on an Airstream where they can be used. Squeezes are availble in phnumatic but are very expensive.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Thanks Aerowood,
That makes sense. I was not thinking about the length of stroke. Guess it should be obivous to me that a tool that can be used to remove rusty mufflers would not such a good choice for detailed finish work.

I will continue to read back through your suggestions and make a more informed purchase.

thanks again

Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I'll just say that Arrow rivet guns are disposable in my hands. If I get back into a restoration project I'd probably try what wahoonc recommends.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Aerowood made this recommendation when I asked... you will also need a rivet set and bucking bar. like this set.
Brown Tool - Cart: 963255
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
That didn't work... http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ize-38764.html This thread, post #12. I bought that set and feel I got exactly what I need. We'll find out this weekend.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 05:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
I just purchased an air/hydraulic riveter from Northern Tool for $69.00, so far I like it. It works greatl.

Northern Industrial Compact Air Hydraulic Riveter | Air Punch + Flange Tools | Northern Tool + Equipment

Disclaimer, I do not work for or have an interest in Northern Tool, other than a customer.

Here are the specs:

Northern Industrial Compact Air Hydraulic Riveter

Affordable, lightweight riveter is ideal for automotive and construction assembly work.
Sets rivets in up to 3/16in. steel
Super strong hardened steel jaws
4.2 CFM; 80-100 PSI; 1/4in. air inlet
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Sioux?

What do you guys think of Sioux tools? I'd always heard their rivet guns were really good.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Sioux makes a very good rivet gun, but I've found them to be a touch pricey. For the amount of rivets that a typical Airstream restorer will shoot in a lifetime, a less expensive model will out last us all. I've been abusing a Taylor rivet gun since the early 80's and have never had a problem. My 2X gun is a USATCO, 3X & 4X are both Taylors and my 5X is a CP. If you can find a old Jiffy or Desoutter these are real good guns too.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Well I actually need one for my Neo-Helio-Courier that I'm designing....but that's for another forum
Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I bought the earlier model 2602 direct from ATS. It worked great. I see they have updated the design and the new one is lighter. I guess it would be as good as the older model.
Just received my new rivet gun today from http://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/de....aspx?PageNo=1 and dove my first practice rivets, out of the first 10, had 9 good ones. Had complete control of the rivet at all times, can't say that with the $3.00 air hammer from Harbor Freight. Will go thru a bag before going on to the real thing.