Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2004, 02:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Resuscitate a smashed Airstream or Not?

Can anyone offer advice on whether or not I should even attempt to bring my 1977 Excella 500 back to life after an accident? The accident was on the freeway, and when things came to a stop the Airstream was on it's side (roadside), jack-knifed against the rear drivers side of the tow vehicle and the rear of the tow vehicle was about a foot off the ground.....prior to the accident the Airstream was in pristine condition, barely used by my Grandparents since it was new but very well maintained and stored indoors. I'd go the extra mile on this one, but really don't know what I'm dealing with yet. I've attached some pictures of the exterior. The interior doesn't look too bad; a loose cabinet, loose countertop, cracked shower where the rear corner somehow got crunched, and of course the console in the front end is very crunched. I'm not particularly worried about the interior - just how much it could cost to restore the exterior, and what potential long term issues may surface.

Thanks for your input!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	8417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1353.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	8418  

Name:	IMG_1355.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	8419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1356.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	8420  

Name:	IMG_1357.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	8421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1359.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	8422  

Name:	IMG_1360.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	8423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	8424  

Name:	IMG_1364.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	8425   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1366.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	8426  

davidp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

You haven't seen Andy's (Inland RV - Crunch 101 ) pics of some restorations they've done there?

Check these out:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crunch01a.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	8427   Click image for larger version

Name:	crunch04a.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	8428  

67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

More pictures

Here are a few additional pictures of the rear area; forgot to include them on the other post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1428.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	8429   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1445.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	8430  

Name:	IMG_1444.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	8431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1442.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	8432  

Name:	IMG_1441.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	8433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1447.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	8434  

Name:	IMG_1446.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	8435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1430.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	8436  

Name:	IMG_1427.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	8437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1431.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	8438  

Old 08-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Sorry to hear about the accident; hope everyone was ok!

As tempting as it would be to try and fix it up; I believe if it were me I would look for a reasonable settlement with the insurance Co. and look for another one. There is probably more damage that can't be seen with the naked eye! Perhaps someone from the A/S factory could give you an idea on repairs.

If you could keep it for almost nothing you may consider offering it for parts. I bet you would get a lot of takers.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Hate to say it but it's gone. Just too much damage.

Best advice is argue up the insurance to get the best payout you can then see what the buyback is. Argue that down. Find a cheap simular model that needs some interior stuff that you can salvage and sell the rest. The aluminum will bring some cash at recycle once you sell or use major stuff like Reefer, windows that survived, cabinetry etc.

I know I'm looking for a ton of stuff that your coach may have like the Reefer and A/C. The parts would sell fast.

Sad part is your goign to be lucky to get a good pay out. Most of us are under insured on older coaches.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
It's a shame to see that. So sorry. You should consider calling Andy at Inland RV and Airstream for some professional opinions.

IMHO - Thats looks like a lot of work to try and bring back. You may be better off settling on insurance, buying back the scrap to part out and end up with the money you need to buy another. Keep one or two components of the old and install them in the new to preserve the heritage and memories.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:30 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have a saying, that fits here:

There is nothing wrong with it that money won't fix.
Unfortunately, it looks like it will take a couple of buckets of money to get your coach back into shape. It would probably be best to find a unit with a good skin, axles, etc. and transfer your interior parts into it. Coaches with no interiors go pretty cheap, there is one in the classified area of the forums right now. I don't remember anything about it, other than the ad said the shell was good, and the interior had been gutted.
Something I don't think anyone else has asked, is everyone all right?
Terry
Old 08-19-2004, 04:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Smash

By the grace of God, there were no serious injuries to the driver or passenger in the tow vehicle, which is what truly matters....though I believe I'm in a serious grieving mode regarding the Airstream.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:37 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp
By the grace of God, there were no serious injuries to the driver or passenger in the tow vehicle, which is what truly matters....though I believe I'm in a serious grieving mode regarding the Airstream.
Glad to hear you and passenger are in one piece.

Normally, I would say fix it if it looked like one part, but I'd have to agree with 59Toaster, there is just damage everywhere. Outside of the frame that appears bent, depending on cost, you might opt to live with some dents. The simple answer is yes it can be fixed, however my guess (and it's only a guess) would be that it would cost you dozens of time over what another coach of that year would cost, taking into account rehabbing whatever you'd find out there in that year. Compared to new, I'd guess to fix it would cost at least half what a new coach would cost (non Classic, midgrade Safari type). Again, that's just an educated guess. Andy from Inland would be able to say better than I would.

Sorry about the loss.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

First let me say that I am happy that you and your passenger were okay. Looked like it was an awlful affair.

Going the extra mile and repairing it is only going to be worth it in sentimental value. The cost for restoring the trailer back to its prior condition will be extremly high. If you look around you can probably find another year and model that is identical and one that may not be in bad condition for less than it would cost you to restore only the shell on yours.

IMHO - I would get the highest amount possible from the insurance company and then try to settle for that amount as long as you can keep the coach yourself. Then you can find another one and use parts off the wrecked one as needed. Once you have salvaged all that you can from the wrecked coach you can start selling parts off it. I know that I would be interested in the refrigerator myself as I have one to replace in my Sovereign.

It is ashame that you are forced into this position, but you may even come out far ahead once all the dust settles. Parting one out will bring you a lot more than you might think.

If you decide to go the part out route please PM me and I will be glad to call you and discuss the sale of some of it. Also let us know and many of us on the forum will keep an eye open for a replacement AS.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:06 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

say Dave, real bummer to lose a cherished family airstream. glad everyone is ok. anything the folks on the forum can learn by your misfortune, traffic conditions , weather conditions, towing methods?
roger
roger n cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:09 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Dave,sorry to here of your loss. I'm sure if you speak with Andy at Inland Rv, he would provide you valuable info, not only regarding repairs, but based on your photos, I hate to be negitive, you may have been pulling without any weight distribution hitch,( unless you have already removed the frame brackets) and he'll question you regarding the vacuum disc brakes, with a proper brake controller.Good luck with what ever you choose, there are many of us, that would be interested in parts. Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:24 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalview
but based on your photos, I hate to be negitive, you may have been pulling without any weight distribution hitch,( unless you have already removed the frame brackets) and he'll question you regarding the vacuum disc brakes, with a proper brake controller. Jeff
Actually, I was using the Reese hitch and bars that had been used with this trailer since 1982, and had hitched it the same way I always have so I don't think that contributed to the problem.

As far as brakes, I had an RV dealer (which was certified for Airstream repair up until 2 years ago, and was the same dealer and employees that my grandparents used) update the brakes to electronic brakes. The controller I use is a Tekonsha Prodigy. Last month I travelled from Minnesota to Georgia through the mountains of Tennissee, etc. with this setup and it worked beautifully - though the Prodigy can be annoying at low speeds if not adjusted. I tow the Airstream with a 2003 Chevy Silverado, 5.3 with offroad and towing package, and was completely satisfied with the Chevy as a towing vehicle. (the 5.9 Dodge Ram that I owned prior to the Silverado was incapable of properly towing anything.....sad to say)

I really appreciate peoples' ideas - keep 'em coming! I would love to try to restore this unit, even if it is a bit impractical - but if it's outright foolishness then I like the alternative idea of saving it for parts to refurbish a similar trailer (so please let me know if you are aware of any good candidates).

Dave
Old 08-20-2004, 09:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well anything can be fixed if you throw enough money at it. I have a rough ideal what you looking at for RAW material. I have done some work that required me to buy some sheet.

The flat sheet is going to set you back $12-14 a FOOT for raw material.
The end caps you might get lucky and salvage but most in the junk yards look like what you have. From Airstream they say to figure $1200 a pannel. Thats proably installed so lets say 800 for just the sheet. From what I can tell every pannel is damaged. On the conservative end I see $7,225 In just material. That's not counting labor. Your proably goign to need a few ribs and I have no ide how to price that. There is a pretty good chance of frame damage that will have to be repaired once the body and floor have been removed .

Andy could give you a pretty acurate cost of rapair including labor. He wrote Airstreams book on estimating the cost of repair. I would guess it's approching $20k on the conservative side.

You MIGHT get $6k out of the insurance company and keep the coach. If you get any more I will be surprised. Honestly with $6k you could pick up a reasonable coach that you could get in good condition with interrior componets salvaged from yours. With sweat equity be close to break even money wise.

I understand the sentimental value thing but I'm guessing $10,000 on the conservative side in just skin repairs. Is it worth that and possibly more?

My wife and I are in the middle of restoring her Fathers Airstream and it was not wrecked where any body pannels need replacement. I already have $2k just in floor repairs and repairing damaged belly. I fully expect to sink $8k by the time we have it where we dream of having it and remember we inherited it so thats above and beyond the initial purchace price. It is a labor of love but we will be able to get a reasonable amount out of it if we ever did sell. I'm a sucker for a hard case but even with sentimental value I see that as too much and never will be right again.

Where is the coach now?

It needs to be covered or mildew and water will quickly ruin the salavagable interior components.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
DavidP

There is far more to "proper rigging" than just the brand and rating of a hitch.

Two thirds of "all" loss of control accidents is because of the hitch/tow vehicle combination.

What tow vehicle were you using when the accident happened?

Repairing you trailer correctly as opposed to patch it up, dictates the end cost.

As I explained to you in an e-mail, minimum cost to put that coach back into road worthy condition, is at least $30,000.00, and probably closer to perhaps $40,000, again to do it correctly.

There are so many factors that you cannot see from your photo's.

As an example, are the axles OK? Is the frame bent? How many main bows must be replaced? How many outriggers are damaged? How far has the shell be knocked out of alignment? How many other stresses to the shell are there that the photo's cannot show? Replacing any interior panels is impossible, as that same material is no longer available. That being the case, a substitute must be made, but at what cost? These are just a few questions that photo's don't answer.

If you want to do it yourself, be prepared to spend at least $10,000.00 to $15,000.00 for just parts.

Want to use "used" parts? Good luck. You normally will find that to be a big waste of money, and time. You cannot easily remove segments and quarter panels, without some tell tale appearances.

It spite of the cherished memories, I would suggest that you find another trailer, and start from there.

If you tell me what tow vehicle was involved, I will do my best to find the cause of the accident for you. I also must know the exact hitch, and it's rating.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

I'm not sure what type of hitch it is; I know it is a Reese, but didn't find any other model information on it. The bars say V5, Max gross trailer weight 10,000 lbs, max hitch weight 1000 lbs, and 1-1/4 spring bars. This is what has been used for the Airstream at least since 1982, probably since it was new in 1977. The tow vehicle, as noted in a previous post, is a 2003 Chevy Silverado, Z71 off road package, tow package, 3.7 ratio, locking differential, short box, reg cab and sportside. Chevy has so many different combinations of options, but according to the chart in the owners manual this vehicle is rated to tow well above what was required.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
David, your short wheelbase didn't help you much. I had a Chevy Blazer in the past, pulling a SOB box type trailer of only 21 feet. Wouldn't care to do that combo again. Your pickup is only a few inches longer in wheelbase, than the last generation full size Blazers.
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to Simplyspent Send a message via Yahoo to Simplyspent
I would hesitate restoring the damaged trailer. Unlike Andy's wrecked model that was repaired, this one was wracked and warped. The repair would exceed the value of the trailer. I would part it out or buy a simlar model that needs work and rob parts from the wrecked unit.

It is costly enough to repair and restore an Airstream that has had far less damage/
Simplyspent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #19
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Tell us more about the circumstances of the crash, we could all learn from them.
Thanks,

Ron
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
davidp.

What you have (had), is like a Peterbilt tow vehicle with the largest hitch that Reese made.

Therefore I doubt that you moved "any" tongue weight, as one "must" do.

With that truck. you should have used the "smallest" rating hitch Reese had which was a 550 pound rating.

Research data, from over 20 years, bears out that you were "grossly" over hitched, and really, you were a predictable accident, looking for a place to
happen.

The fortunate thing however, is that your OK.

I have authored a brief article about hitches, that will be in the September issue of the Airstream Life Magazine.

I also, will have an article, that will go into great depth about hitches, in the December issue of Airstream Life Magazine.

Stay tuned.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote