Old 08-30-2004, 11:39 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Andy, minimize AOL after signing on, then open Internet Explorer over the top of AOL, and then use IE to connect to airstreamforums.com. Do not use the browser inside AOL.
By using IE, or Netscape, running on top of AOL, you don't lose your work when AOL says goodbye.

Old 09-01-2004, 08:37 AM   #86
2 Rivet Member

Does anyone have an idea what the salvage value of this Airstream might be? All of the systems were working perfectly prior to the accident, and the interior was in nearly unused condition. The insurance company feels the salvage value is $3481, and isn't willing to negotiate that number.

Old 09-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Salvage value as in what they will charge you if you want to keep the coach or what they are paying out on the claim? Anybody that has done that on a Vehicle that I have spoken with has only paid $500-1000. Granted that older vehicles but still.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:29 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Salvage value as in what they will charge you if you want to keep the coach or what they are paying out on the claim?
That is the amount that they will charge me to keep the damaged Airstream, because apparently a salvage firm will pay them this amount. I'd love to keep it and eventually either repair it or re-install the interior in another coach of the same year with a worn out interior, but this dollar amount seems excessive given the condition.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:51 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
EVERYTHING is negotiable - I would ask for firm bids from salvage companys

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:03 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

Apparently they have a blanket agreement with a salvage company that specifies the salvage value as a percentage of the ACV (actual cash value) prior to the accident. They can get that amount from the salvage company, so there is no negotiation. The salvage company probably "wins some and loses some" with an agreement like that, this is a case of a higher than normal pre-accident ACV due to condition, and a lower than normal post-accident salvage value due to the extent of the damage....but I want to keep it if it makes even a little sense because it's been a "member of the family" since I was a child.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:17 AM   #91
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
davidp.

You have a right to examine any and all salvage value bids that your insurance company may have.

Should they refuse, then your only option then is to hire an attorney.

As is, ball park is plus or minus $750.00, based on the provided photo's.

Only you can weigh it's sentimental value.

However, having done this for 38 years, sometimes, no matter how hard it may hurt, "you have to let go," and start all over, if you wish.

Rebuilding that trailer is far removed from the normal talents of a do it yourselfer. Improper reconstruction, will haunt you as long as you own it.

Perhaps a better term, to help you better understand, is that trailer cannot be rebuilt. It's only chance would be a complete remanufacture. If you feel you have those talents, go for it, but be prepared to spend at least $10,000.00 for just materials.

Andy
Old 09-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #92
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Rebuilding that trailer is far removed from the normal talents of a do it yourselfer. Improper reconstruction, will haunt you as long as you own it.

Perhaps a better term, to help you better understand, is that trailer cannot be rebuilt. It's only chance would be a complete remanufacture. If you feel you have those talents, go for it, but be prepared to spend at least $10,000.00 for just materials.
My thought was to do the interior work myself, and have the heavy re-building done by a seasoned professional, minus some of the finishing items that I could handle. The other thought was to take the interior, most of which even post accident is in good shape, and put it into another trailer that had lost it's original interior....but I seriously question whether that is worth the salvage price.

I've attached a few current photos of the interior....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1386.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	8555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1390.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	8556  

Name:	IMG_1394.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	8557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1407.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	8558  

Name:	IMG_1409.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	8559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1415.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	8560  

Name:	IMG_1419.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	8561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1422.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	8562  

Name:	IMG_1410.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	8563   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1377.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	8564  

Old 09-01-2004, 11:00 AM   #93
2 Rivet Member

And a few more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1369.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	8565   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1371.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	8566  

Name:	IMG_1375.JPG
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	8567   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1387.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	8568  

Name:	IMG_1389.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	8569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1391.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	8570  

Name:	IMG_1395.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	8571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1403.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	8572  

Name:	IMG_1406.JPG
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	8573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1414.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	8574  

Old 09-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #94
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
davidp

Your project game plan sounds good, on paper, but in practical terms, near impossible.

I cannot remanufacture that shell and gauantee you that all the inside materials will fit "correctly" like it didn't happen.

Next important item, is where would you obtain replacements for the broken furniture and damaged head liners?

Airstream does not have them, as they are no longer available, not even the vinyl-clad wall material.

Could you obtain them from another wreck? Probably, but you will have to search and search, for the correct trailer, as well as a year group.

And finally, the interior of each Airstream of the same exact model, is different, because the interiors are not made in a "jig". Therefore parts removed from one, will not exactly fit in the same place as another.

Therefore salvaging interior parts and using them on another trailer is almost impossible, not to mention the vast number of those parts that you will need.

But, it's your time, your money and your call.

You will also have to have a very large degree of tolerance, as surely the end results will be less than desireable.

There is no harm in remembering something as it was. Perhaps it may be better, in your case, to consider that, instead of looking at a compromise.

Andy
Old 09-01-2004, 01:33 PM   #95
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
David, as much as I know your heart is in the right place, you need to get it in tune with what Andy is talking about. I can't agree more with what Andy has said. The cost of parts alone makes it a better deal to find another coach of the same year and vintage. Hopefully it would not need anything, but even if it did, the end cost would be far less I feel and the outcome far better. I say this again now after seeing the inside photos. It just never gonna be the same. Maybe not even close to what it once was.....

Of course there is nothing wrong with having a hobby, but as Andy said, this would be a fairly expensive hobby.

Best of luck to you.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:42 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

davidp

david: there is a repair center in alabama that specializes in heavy structural damage to airstreams, plus, they have every part for every trailer ever built, i believe... called camper repair in montevallo, alabama...the Hare family runs it. they have the ribs, sheet aluminum, front and rear end pieces. everything there. sorry i dont have telephone number. They don't have a computer there.

ken
Old 01-16-2005, 08:10 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Picking up the pieces

I'm so sorry to hear about your wreck and can only imagine what you are going through emotionally and financially. I'm sure you've got hundreds of good memories intricately tied to your Airstream, but as someone who is getting her first brand spanking new one in a week or two I'd like to say this. I've never gotten a new car that in six months wasn't just transportation and a payment book.

I expect to thoroughly enjoy my 22 CCD and I think it looks great, but what I'm most looking forward to is meeting nice people. I'm buying membership in a local RV resort which will be my base and I plan to travel at least 8 times a year both for business and fun. Every time I've visited the resort, I've met a dozen nice people who've taken me on a tour of their RV's, invited me to go fishing, to come over for dinner and who've just welcomed me with open arms. And these are SOB owners who have everything from big honkin mo-ho's to one with a teardrop. (The teardrop owner laughingly introduced me to his friends as "the lady who's going to gentrify the neighborhood.")

It's the people and the memories you'll cherish and the wreck won't take any of that away from you. Whatever you do you can't lose those things. If you opt for a new one, buy a comparable vintage one, or repair the wreck - go for it wholeheartedly but remember - it's a trailer! Things are replaceable. You, your family, and your friends aren't - and the great news is that you walked away!

Best of luck with whatever you choose to do.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:55 AM   #98
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
David,
I was going to try the same thing your talking about. I have a Overlander that had the rear end smashed. I looked it over, talked to a few members here and concluded that it is just too much to bring back. I will use the interior to rebuild my Ambassador (Same year and plant). After reading what Andy said about the fit of one interior to another, I think I can work with what I have to make it look respectable.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote