Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2006, 10:43 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
It is interesting that a request to evaluate a reconstruction turned into a hitch discussion. As with a lot of these discussions, there is (in my view, anyway) an awful lot of confusion between catastrophic conditions and routine handling. There is also confusion between load leveling and sway reduction techniques.

One item I didn't see in the thread was the influence of trailer braking. I did see reference to truck braking raising the rear. Trailer braking is going to reduce that because it will add downward forces on the hitch. This topic alone could get into quite an interesting discussion because it so much depends upon the matching of trailer braking to truck braking.

Andy, as always, has some interesting points but I sure wish I had access to the research he cites and the data he references. His point about innapropriate driver response is, from what I can tell, critical in many trailer crashes.

The fact is that crashes don't just happen. Something causes them. When you are driving a vehicle with a trailer on behind you cannot drive like you have a sports car. The 'accident waiting to happen' isn't because of how a rig is set up but rather how the drive accomodates the deficiencies that always exist in his driving. Yes you want to reduce the deficiencies as much as possible but it is not realistic to pretend they don't exist.

I guess it is more fun to say the hitch caused it. -- Sure makes for an interesting discussion, anyway.

Meanwhile, I don't think rescuing a bent Airstream can be considered as a financial cost benefit thing. If you have something like what started this thread, doing something with it can only be an avocation and a hobby IMHO.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:42 AM   #102
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I get out and to my shock, I see no damage anywhere, the deer gets up and trotts off into the woods.

My point to this whole story, Andy may very well have helped save our rig and maybe us from injury or death. How?

Well, it's simple, Andy first raised the question of being overhitched which got me thinking. The 600lb bars provided a level of transfer (compared to the 1200lb bars I had at first), sway control, etc that allowed proper hitching and not overhitching. During this 5 second event (that seemed like over a minute) the Suburban and the Safari, in an emergancy situation, felt like one unit. Of course, keeping a cool head and not jerking the wheel also helped. Previous to this event, towing the Safari with the sedan, I tried to maunver around a possum that I encountered on the highway. Same type of thing, only it wasn't as firm of a feel. It could have easily gone the wrong way for several reasons.

Two weeks ago, I was even more thankful that I made the decsion to go with the proper tow vehicle, and even more grateful that I found Andy from Inland RV's post about being overhitched. Both are most likely two of the main reasons my Safari doens't look like the crashed rigs we've seen here.

Thanks Andy!

PS- For those who say the bars make no differnce, try it or better yet, try the right bars. With my rig, I decided to try towing with out the bars, knowing I'd loose my sway control. There was a lot of bounce without them, at any speed range. Every bump or dip in the road transferred lots of nose up and down movements.

Your more than welcome.

Glad everythings ok.

Once again, how interesting the facts prove themselves as in your case.

Hitching opinions, are just that, and apply to one person.

Hitching facts become and are industry standards.

The problem is trying to cultivate the non believers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I am a believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Your more than welcome.

Glad everythings ok.

Once again, how interesting the facts prove themselves as in your case.

Hitching opinions, are just that, and apply to one person.

Hitching facts become and are industry standards.

The problem is trying to cultivate the non believers.

Andy
I too have improved my Airstream's towing experience based on the information you provided in this thread. Thanks! While I think my towing setup is now covered, it would be great to read the follow-on article you alluded to when your first article was published in Airstream Life.

Do you have any plans to either publish the article in print or add it to your web site?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
You may not have a choice.....your insurance company will probably determine that it is too expensive to repair. I also feel that you may only be seeing the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Glad to hear that nobody but the Airstream was injured!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I'm "popular" ... you're not [on AirstreamCentral]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
...I also, will have an article, that will go into great depth about hitches, in the December issue of Airstream Life Magazine.

Stay tuned. ...
Andy,

I'm now "popular" on AirstreamCentral.com with my ONE pitiful article. Although you are listed as an author at the site, you're not popular. I think it has something to do with you not writing any articles yet...

I think that an in-depth article about hitches would be an excellent first article.

Would you mind being more popular than me?

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASCentralArrow.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	69519  
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #106
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I had some spare time and looked at this thread; gotta say, I've been behind a lot of of Airstreams and you track! In 80 mph sidewinds, we all sway.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote