Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
Replacing exterior rivets?

Hello! I am a total newbie working on a 1963 Tradewind, and taking it down to pretty bare bones. I recently saw the post about testing for leaky rivets, should I test and replace all rivets that don't hold up to the suction cup test that I was just reading about, or should I just be replacing them in leaky areas? Haven't really started much exterior stuff yet, just want to be prepared... it helps keep me from going crazy...
kmtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Sounds like when you have the internal skins off you can leak test with water from the outside on everything. Don't know how many leaky rivets there are compared to leaks from penetrations, but the latter is what most folks talk about.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
"... it helps keep me from going crazy..."

You're well on your way if you've undertaken this venture!
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Replacing exterior rivets?

When you are dealing with Airstreams, sanity is A) optional and B) highly overrated.

***twitch***

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 PM   #5
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
When you find a leaking rivet using the suction cup method use this product to seal the rivet instead of replacing the rivet. Apply sparingly multiple times around the rivet until the solution no longer disappears into the shell. End by testing with suction cup again the next day after everything has dried.

http://www.captaintolley.com

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
When you find a leaking rivet using the suction cup method use this product to seal the rivet instead of replacing the rivet. Apply sparingly multiple times around the rivet until the solution no longer disappears into the shell. End by testing with suction cup again the next day after everything has dried.

http://www.captaintolley.com
Works well.
You can also try resetting the river with a rivet gun and bucking bar if you have access to the tools and both sides.
Next option is Olympic rivets with a rivet shave.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:56 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
you have answered my question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Works well.
You can also try resetting the river with a rivet gun and bucking bar if you have access to the tools and both sides.
Next option is Olympic rivets with a rivet shave.
HiJS ....I did not know if I could reset a river with my gun and bar but now I do.

No just kidding amigo.. I did need to know if I could reset old rivets. Have access to both sides and a willing bucking partner.

The PO has spread gobs of silicone (bad PO bad) that I have pealed off and am going to inject sealant underneath then adjust the old rivets. Lots of loose rivets on channel and suspect quite a few on seams as well, just harder to detect.
WBCCI #6256
eartick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
When you buck rivets they not only get shorter, but wider, it's the wider part not on the tail but where the rivet is going through the hole that actually squeezes out to fill and seal the hole. Tail squash holds it in. Resetting is usually worth a shot if it's not a horrible fit and you have access. Easier than doing countless Olympic rivets.