Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2004, 11:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy Replacement ribs

Hello Folks, I just bought a 1958 22' of unknown model. It was built in CA. One of the former owners cut away two street-side panels to put a hide-a-bed sofa inside. I don't if the lateral and longitude ribs are still there or not but I suspect they aren't. Where can I purchase replacement ribs. I'm a retired Air Force Ammo troop with plenty of mechanical and electrical skills.
crgintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 07:07 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd call the factory.....

Here is a shot of some ribs being deilvered to the production center. I am sure that if anyone could get you what you're looking for the factory can.

You can contact them a few different ways:

customersupport@airstream.com

....or you can get in contact any of the ways off this URL:

http://www.airstream.com/company/contact.html

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Ribs

I don't know if the factory still stocks ribs for that vintage. I have a '59 (Ohio) and I can send you dimensions of you want to make your own.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
We purchased, some time ago, all the 1968 and older parts that Airstream had "left," in their inventory.

Included in that group were the "main bows."

The problem is not so much as to the availability, but much more so it's shipping.

The only practical way to ship them is to cut them in half.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 10:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
If your in Cali or Close Andy is the way to go. If your east coast keep an eye out. I am activly looking for a coach aroudn the same vintage (59-63) thats in rought shape to part out to get parts for our 59 I'm restoring. I have a person that I may take the remains and build a smaller coach out of. If I do this I will end up with a couple ribs.

That said you may have less problem then you think. I'm doing a full restore on a 59 and I have it appart to the point were the ribs are visable.

Airstream often cut ribs short and adjusted the lenght and spliced. About 1/2 the ribs in my coach are only half the width and end in the ceiling. This is because of window and door placement making it impossible for all ribs to be a full horseshoe. As long as you have the rib you could find some 6 inch peices and graft the rib back together by backing the splice up with the short peice of rib. That was standard practice at the factory. It's a sound repair.

If your missing the rib section then get the measurment of the missing span. Have Andy cut his ribs a little longer then you need to make them ship easy and buy one extra peice to cut splices out of.

I would be far more concerned about the cosmetic appearence from the outside then the ribs being cut. Factory there are no vertical seams between the caps. This aluminum the skin is made out of is not cheap but is available. I bought some from www.airpartsinc.com and was pleased with the service and they were by far the cheapest price I found. Buy the "Coil" it's cheaper and you can get it in any length you need up too 100ft x 4ft.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 12:27 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Cool

The trailer is currently in El Mirage, Az but I'm moving it to Texas to do the repair. My HOA in Surprise, AZ is real pain to deal with. Where can I find an owner history? The serial number is 22-8562.
Thanks, Carlos
crgintx is offline   Reply With Quote