Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Repair needed in California

I dented my 30' Classic today backing it in the driveway. I've had this trailer 8 years and backed it in my narrow driveway 50 times but goofed up today and dented the left rear corner.

My knee-jerk thought is to take it to one of the excellent shops in southern California and bite the bullet on driving 7 hours and leaving the Airstream there and going back and retrieving it when it's done.

I know there are no shops in Sacramento, where I live, that I would trust to do the work correctly. I'm a little squeamish about Toscano in Los Banos Ca…anyone have any body repair experience with them?

There's also a new Airstream dealer in Fairfield Ca that I just found out about but I can't find any information about the extent of their experience in body work.

Summer is right around the corner and I'd like to get my Airstream fixed ASAP so any thoughts from the forum is appreciated.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140416_182549_673.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	209805  
Old 04-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynmike View Post
I dented my 30' Classic today backing it in the driveway. I've had this trailer 8 years and backed it in my narrow driveway 50 times but goofed up today and dented the left rear corner.

My knee-jerk thought is to take it to one of the excellent shops in southern California and bite the bullet on driving 7 hours and leaving the Airstream there and going back and retrieving it when it's done.

I know there are no shops in Sacramento, where I live, that I would trust to do the work correctly. I'm a little squeamish about Toscano in Los Banos Ca…anyone have any body repair experience with them?

There's also a new Airstream dealer in Fairfield Ca that I just found out about but I can't find any information about the extent of their experience in body work.

Summer is right around the corner and I'd like to get my Airstream fixed ASAP so any thoughts from the forum is appreciated.

Mike
Mike.

No need to be in a rush.

That crease isn't hurting anything, except your feelings.

Get a valid estimate, settle with your insurance comapny and have it replaced later.

Or, if you have some mechanical stuff, replace it yourself, as many others have.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Thanks Andy…that makes the most sense at this point.

Mike
Old 04-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
This fellow will probably be driving by you in a couple days coming out of the Cassini Ranch rally, give him a call: https://www.facebook.com/NvcmmAirstreamRepair 415.878.7071

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Mike,
Now it has character . Try a suction cup dent puller. If that doesn't work then follow Andy's advise

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I agree with the dent cup puller it should work.
Cliff
Old 04-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
Dent pullers cups are very cheap on Amazon and I have a couple of dents I would love to try it on. Any recommendations on which one to buy? I am kind of figuring just a middle-of-the-road one. Thanks
Paradise Valley, Arizona
kmaggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Try Vinnie's Northbay Airstream Repair: 707-861-8116 in Santa Rosa California. He does restorations.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
I love Vinnie, but he might be busy, so you could also try Adam at Avalon-rv.com in Benicia. They are solid, thoughtful, honest, and skilled there and they have helped me out with a number of issues with my '86 345 classic MH. Just for grins, tell them I sent you. I may be having them strip my coach this season. It's true, you can expect higher prices in NorCal than in other parts of the US but then there's your time money and effort getting your rig to some far-flung service. I felt that Adam did the best he could by me. And no, I have no financial interest in this advice ;-)
Old 04-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
I have had nothing but good experience with Toscano. I had a similar event a few years ago when after i stopped backing up the trailer, the house moved forward and dented my international. Mine was much worse than yours. Toscano did a great job.
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the thoughts, sympathy and recommendations! This is my 4th Airstream and in 20+ years of Airstreaming this is my first dent…so I'm a little sick about it. I'm very happy to find out there are some reputable shops in Northern California shops that know Airstreams. Previously, I had work done at Andy's shop at Inland RV (before they stopped shop work) and at C & G in Bellflower Ca.

Mike
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Mike,
If you can't fix it your self, and you have tried the rest, then try the best, Area 63 Productions, Uwe Salwender, 909 355 3558. They have moved to Lytle Creek, CA.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Truckee , California
Don't know if they do repairs on newer Airstreams, but Sierra Trailer Restoration located in Grass Valley, CA might be worth a try too.
bganso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
Try dent doctor they puled the caved top of a car out that was jumped on in riot,
iwas impressed.
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I had a dent very similar to that and pulled out the worst of it with an old-style toilet plunger. The crease and scratch won't come out though. I did this about 6 years ago and it's still there. I consider it a badge of honor. Maybe one of these days when I'm feeling rich I'll look into having it repaired, but it won't be at Toscano, I know that much.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Question Why not Toscano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
I had a dent very similar to that and pulled out the worst of it with an old-style toilet plunger. The crease and scratch won't come out though. I did this about 6 years ago and it's still there. I consider it a badge of honor. Maybe one of these days when I'm feeling rich I'll look into having it repaired, but it won't be at Toscano, I know that much.
Hey CA Streamer, care to say why not Toscano?
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
Hey CA Streamer, care to say why not Toscano?
Leave it to say I was not satisfied at all with their sales or service departments. The big thing is they could not fix, or even identify the problem with the brakes on the trailer I purchased from them. I took it to Sky River in Paso Robles and no problem. I've been going to Sky River ever since and they have been honest and great to deal with. They also do AS body work but I have not had any done there so I cannot testify as to the quality of their work.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Alameda , California
I used Bayarea Airstream in Fairfield to repair and patch the skin from the front awning bar being ripped out. To replace the entire side panel was going to be in the 18k range. Instead they pulled out the dent and patched the torn skin with new patches that match the skin for 550 bucks. The workmanship is good from Alex in the shop (who actually did the work).

I was concerned on the workmanship as they are a new dealer but very happy with the results. They are still working out their service advisors and sales staff though have good actual service when you get it done from my experience.

From your photo, the "paint less" dent repair might be a good option if you can live with the scratches. Otherwise it's replacing the panel.
Vitaminsea is offline   Reply With Quote