Old 09-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia
removing scrape

I have a 74 Trade Wind which had a 3' crease down the side , I have removed the interior panel and worked out the indent. I now have two horizontal scrapes running down where the crease had been. These were deep enough to look like someone pulled a tool down it and too deep to simply buff them out with course polish. You can feel the crease running your fingernail over it and it is plainly visible.

Could any one advise me to the grades of emory paper and technique in taking out the gouge? Do you sand in circular or run horizontal? Is this removed by a hand or mechanical?

batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Hi batt

I don't have your answer.

I'm considering painting my trailer just because of issues like yours that are difficult to repair to a like new condition. My trailer was never finished. The metal was just left bare and clear-coated. That film started to fail in short order and now it looks worse than terrible. It's a bad plan at maturity.

An older Airstream with a scratch along the side of the trailer is, by value, totaled out. Because it costs more to fix that than the trailer could be sold for to a third party.

Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Nahhhhh! Scratches are beauty marks. Our vintage Airstreams are expected to show some wear and experience. A deep scratch can be reduced with either an aggressive compounding or sanding (aluminum oxide) to a point where the compounding/[polish can take over. A common deep scratch that many of us face is the infamous too close bush or shrub that , wind blown, has caused deep scratching. If nothing else....make up a good war story as to the origin of the wound. Polish away.
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
If the scratch is deeper than 2% of the skin thickness then to get it out you'll be into the core of the sheet and not the Alclad anymore. I'd keep the scratch rather than abrade away the shiny protective coating.
1960 Sovereign 33' Pacific Railroad Custom
truckasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1974 25' Tradewind
Berryville , Virginia

ok , I will just polish and forget about achieving perfection, you are right its not new , just trying to do everything I can while I am at this stage.
batt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
If it really bugs's not too bad or expensive to replace a straight panel yourself. Curved ones you have to purchase "Airstream-specific", but straight panels are just plain Alclad aluminum. We did it on both our trailers and a friend's and it only took 2-1/2 people two weekends. If you have the interior panels out - use buck rivets, but if not Olympics work great. You can see our documentation in my "It's a Girl!!!" thread, starting around post #209 then skip down to #224 or so for more meaty posts.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote