Old 01-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
1994 34' Excella
Malabar , Florida
Removing interior front endcap

I have a large dent in the top front of my Airstream and I have read the various threads about working dents out from the inside- for example with a heat gun on the outside and a basketball on the inside. I am wondering how hard it would be to remove the interior skin and if anyone can pass on a few tips for this procedure? Thanks, can't stand looking at the dent any longer! Ed

Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Hi Ed, I've never been in a 90's airstream so can only speak for 60's. The fiberglass end cap goes up first then the side skins. In order to get the end cap on those down you had to remove the lower interior sheet metal, and at least losen enough toget out of the of the way a few feet of the upper wall and ceiling sheet metal to get the end caps out of the way. Someone probably has much better info than I do. Nothing about interior work is hard, it just takes a lot of time. Even the end caps can be lifted down with one person, two is much easier. Not sure you'll get 100% of the dent out but probaby make it much less noticable.

Scott & Megan
WBCCI #8671 Oregon Unit

Tappan range oven (for spare parts)
baby moons for stock rims with clips
twist drawer knobs and their face frame screw in hook

Marvel Refrigerator

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I'll bet it's easy to get off. Getting it back on may be another issue.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Welcome to the Forum. I'm sure someone here will eventually get you the info you need.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Depending on the damage you may be able to pull it from the outside using a suction cup. Glass shops sometimes have the type that you can pump the air out of for a tremendous amount of suction. They are used for handling large pieces of glass. Corian installers are another source of these tools.
If possible, it may save you an amazing amount of time. But it all depends on the type of damage. If you can post a picture of it you will get better info in return.
Good luck, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote