Old 03-22-2007, 05:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Thumbs up Here's what..

Originally Posted by nilesrob
My 2005 Classic 34 was somehow damaged while at my local RV storage facility - don't know how. Aside from taking anti-depressants, what can I do?

I do have insurance and could file a claim. I would not do the work myself if the answer is to replace the panel, but have it done by someone competent - possibly at Airstream.

I guess the real question: am I looking for more trouble by having the panel replaced, or is there some other approach someone has taken previously for similar damage, or do I do nothing and just grumble every time I walk past my rear panel? Hoping the latter is not the recommendation...
It can be done and, when finis look just as good as new.
That panel involves impacts removing the following:
The rear window.(breaking the rivet seal)
The awnings brackets on both the rear and side window.
The mid rib section being moved
The rear taillight..(just 50-50% maybe)
Nothing has to be touched or removed inside of the unit.
Most it would take, depending on the shop, should be a day or, two at the most. Of course, your deep wallet or insurances coverage.
Figure on spending anywhere from 1700$ to 2000$.
I agree with a few of the other's suggestion..Jackson Center would be my first choice. Second choice would be..
5511 Dupont Parkway
DE, 19977
Telephone: (800)433-1348
Sales, Service, & Parts
These guys are top notch..
You could, of course, find a dealer closer to you..
ciao 53FC

WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #16
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I am very sorry to hear about the damage to your Airstream. Who ever hit your trailer knew they hit it and did nothing. If it was me I would try to find out who did it and make them pay. Have you talked to the owners of the RV storage area? Most places have video recordings that might have captured the event. The damage to your trailer has a unique signature to it, I would be looking for that signature on the back of someones RV. I would also get the records of who was in and out of the area during the time frame that the event happened. If the storage yard does not want to help, I would find a new place to store my trailer.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Looks like a perfectly good spot to mount an antenna - a square plate added over top as patch and mounting bracket...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2006 19' International CCD
Calgary , Alberta

sorry to see the damage to your trailer, how frustrating! I'll watch this thread with interest, as the same thing happened to our 19'bambi this winter. The problem I have run into is that there is noone that will consider fixing it here in town or anywhere near us in Calgary.

Not to hijack this thread, but also in lieu of starting a new one, how good is the Spokane airstream dealer with skin repairs? Any experience there?

Otherwise, 2Air's flower power idea is a good one!

Team Ironcops for Cancer 2006
Raced! Ironman Canada in support of the Canadian Cancer Society

We raised over 1.3 Million dollars for Cancer Reseach this year. Great job team!!
bradk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Many times a small louvered vent plate can be installed over a dent that's not too large.

Only you know that it's not a vent.

Smaller dings can be hidden with reflectors. Install a matching one on the other side of the coach.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #20
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Originally Posted by bradk
Not to hijack this thread, but also in lieu of starting a new one, how good is the Spokane airstream dealer with skin repairs? Any experience there?
I've heard good things about the dealer in Eugene, OR FWIW....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
Dent in Aluminum

Hello nilesrob,
I have felt this pain. I sympathize with your urge to do something about it. I couldn't ignore the damage to my otherwise pristine trailer either, so I had this same panel and the one below it replaced at the factory last year. My dent was more major than yours. You would be surprised at how much of your trailer they have to take apart. For example the trim rail at the bottom edge of your panel has to be removed clear up to your entrance door. All of the nicely bucked rivets in the replaced panel that do not leak now, especially those around the window frame will be replaced with the pop style which they,"Don't think will leak, (should) be as good as bucked." In the end they admit most people will say bucked are better. Aluminum can have a body filler added if done by someone at a body shop who knows how to treat the aluminum so it sticks without trouble. This small dent could be shaped to the original curvature and you can cover it with an American flag or whatever vinyl decal you like. You can even have something tailor made. You will still have all your bucked rivets in a panel that no one can ever tell was
damaged. The cost may be so minimal that you don't even turn it in on insurance. Then when you get caught in the big hail storm which we all know is coming eventually you can have the panel replaced if you want to.

Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote