Old 08-10-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1960 26' Overlander
Mount Vernon , Washington
rear end cap removal.

75 '31 LY... I just got this trailer and a tree had fallen on it last winter. the three top end panals are dented in. I will try to post photos in a day or so.
I was going to try a suction cup to try to pop the dent back out. It is not leaking. the seams look to be intect.
My question is with a suction dent puller work? I am afraid that it will still show the dent. Also can these be removed without damage to the other panals? How do I break the seal between the seams after drilling out the old rivets without damage to the good panals?
Do I have to replace them or can I fix the dents once the panals are off? Are new panels the only option or can I use used if I can find them?
How much am I looking at for new panals?

Thanks,
Garth

Old 08-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthbf
75 '31 LY... I just got this trailer and a tree had fallen on it last winter. the three top end panals are dented in. I will try to post photos in a day or so.
I was going to try a suction cup to try to pop the dent back out. It is not leaking. the seams look to be intect.
My question is with a suction dent puller work? I am afraid that it will still show the dent. Also can these be removed without damage to the other panals? How do I break the seal between the seams after drilling out the old rivets without damage to the good panals?
Do I have to replace them or can I fix the dents once the panals are off? Are new panels the only option or can I use used if I can find them?
How much am I looking at for new panals?

Thanks,
Garth
Dents are rarely removed without have wrinkles remaining.

Used panels, normally have a different rivet pattern, making a fit near impossible. Secondly, it's near impossible to remove a segment, without damaging it. There are blind rivets that must be removed before the metal can move, along with breaking the sealer bead, that you cannot see.

Replacement segments run $400.00 each, more or less, depending on which one you need. You will also need some Olympic rivets and Vulkem sealer.

They can only be shipped motor freight, and usually have a crating charge added.

If you have never replaced a segment, don't try to learn on the first one. If you do, you will more than likely need the second one. It's not difficult to do, but it's not something you learn as you go.

Andy

Old 08-15-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Garth,

The wrinkles issue was one of the things that led me to the decision to eventually paint my Airstream. One of my end panels had a hole cut in it by the P.O. running into a tree limb when they were backing it up. I was able to carefully remove the panel (I did have the inner skins off though so I could more easily see what was going on from the inside). When I found out from Andy what a new panel would cost I decided to fix the panel enough for the time being and put it back on. What I did was to straighten the dent as much as reasonably possible with a rubber hammer keeping the wrinkles below the desired final surface level as much as possible. I used a fiberglass body repair kit to put a patch on the panel from the inside to keep it from leaking.

Eventually the idea is that all such blemishes on the surface of my somewhat beat up Airstream will be filled with bondo and sanded out prior to painting silver. Since the panel I was installing did have all the holes in the right locations it was actually not all that hard to re-install. I definitely suggest that you consider investing in an air powered pop-rivet gun though. There are more details to the process than I have mentioned here so you should do some searching in the forum for more information or ask some specific questions. Whether or not you can do the job of replacing the panels yourself will depend a lot on what you have done before and your general level of handiness. I would certainly agree with Andy that it is possible to thoroughly mess up the process so the task is not for the faint hearted.

Malcolm