Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37
Andy, Thanks for your advice and words of wisdom. I will approach my old ins co. when I get the bandwith. One way or another, I would like to replace the panel with a new one. I am located in AZ, looks like the logical place to take the rig is Oasis in Tucson. They offer the part alone for $450.

Again, I really am suprised how well this patch job turned out. I had visions of something a lot worse when I was completing the work.

sw
__________________

__________________
sladew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
enduroryda's Avatar
 
1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 994
Images: 9
Slade....Do you have any pics to share?? Would love to see how it looks as I need the same rear corner panel replaced. Your lucky the panel slid right out....I'd like to try replacing mine but I've heard the sealant can be a real bugger and sometimes you can cause more damage. Dealership I rec'd an estimate from quoted me $1800 ...ouch.
__________________

__________________
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:56 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
Slade....Do you have any pics to share?? Would love to see how it looks as I need the same rear corner panel replaced. Your lucky the panel slid right out....I'd like to try replacing mine but I've heard the sealant can be a real bugger and sometimes you can cause more damage. Dealership I rec'd an estimate from quoted me $1800 ...ouch.
A rear quarter panel, parts and labor should run about $1200.00 to replace, unless there is internal damage. Labor is never more than 8 hours.

Freight could also be an extra.

$1800.00 sounds like somone wants to make a quick trip to Hawaii.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 03:45 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
enduroryda's Avatar
 
1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 994
Images: 9
Here's a breakdown..

That's why it's still not fixed...

Rear curb panel...426.00
Top inset molding 24.40
Bottom Banana wrap 36.80
vulcum 5.29
parbond 7.50
olym rivets 46.00
Crate 150.00
Labor 990.00
Tax 101.18
Total $1787.00
__________________
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:12 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda
That's why it's still not fixed...

Rear curb panel...426.00
Top inset molding 24.40
Bottom Banana wrap 36.80
vulcum 5.29
parbond 7.50
olym rivets 46.00
Crate 150.00
Labor 990.00
Tax 101.18
Total $1787.00

Crate charges???? If he is a selling dealer, he gets the material in a trailer at no charge for freight let alone crating charges.

Labor???? What is their labor rate?? 8 hours labor, tops, for the parts you listed.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #34
Rivet Master
 
munimula's Avatar

 
1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 597
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladew
That said. The repairs are complete. sw
pictures? i have dents on both of my trailers. i would like to see what the end result might look like if i were to tackle them the same way you have. i'm guessing your repair technique will provide me with a better look than the dents i've been living with.

--dave
__________________
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37
Dave, Sorry I did nto respond in a timely manner. I did not check email over the weekend. I will be happy to suppy a picture. Unfortunately I did not take any during the process, but I will post one this evening which shows the repaired panel.

sw
__________________
sladew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37
OK here are a couple pics of the repair job....sw
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6209.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	22512  
Attached Images
  
__________________
sladew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
munimula's Avatar

 
1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 597
Images: 10
WOW! - you did a great job on this fix. this is my inspiration to attack my dents.
__________________
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:25 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 37
Thanks for the compliment. I still have to repaint the rear marker light bezel. I had it all painted up nicely and then smeared it in parbond when I was installing and used acetone to clean the parbond off of it. I now need to remask and repaint. I am also wondering if I should do away with the red and blue stripes doun the aft secion of the rig when I finish stripping what is left of the clearcoat. Ideas, Thoughts?

What sort of damage do you have to the panel on your rig?

sw
__________________
sladew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:36 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladew
Thanks for the compliment. I still have to repaint the rear marker light bezel. I had it all painted up nicely and then smeared it in parbond when I was installing and used acetone to clean the parbond off of it. I now need to remask and repaint. I am also wondering if I should do away with the red and blue stripes doun the aft secion of the rig when I finish stripping what is left of the clearcoat. Ideas, Thoughts?

What sort of damage do you have to the panel on your rig?

sw

Most quarter panel damage is done to the portion below thw lower belt line molding, such as in your case.

That being the case, you could have spliced in the aluminum plate underneath the lower belt line molding.

That would have eliminated the need to do any painting.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #40
Rivet Master
 
munimula's Avatar

 
1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 597
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladew
What sort of damage do you have to the panel on your rig?
sw
i backed into a tree at night. here it is...



i've tried the ding king and plungers with no luck. that dent is in there good. someone suggested fire and ice as aluminium has memory? after checking out slade's fix maybe an sheet layed over this dent would do the trick.

i have a matching one, actually a little worse, on my '93 1000 as well on the upper left side.

advice is obviously welcome.

--dave
__________________
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 PM   #41
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by micsupply
i backed into a tree at night. here it is...



i've tried the ding king and plungers with no luck. that dent is in there good. someone suggested fire and ice as aluminium has memory? after checking out slade's fix maybe an sheet layed over this dent would do the trick.

i have a matching one, actually a little worse, on my '93 1000 as well on the upper left side.

advice is obviously welcome.

--dave
It looks like the segment damage is on a 64 to 68 trailer.

You cannot repair segments that are damaged that way. That aluminum is very different from the side sheets.

Segments are made from softer metal, that was stretched formed.

Little to no memory left.

We have most of the 68 and older segments in our inventory.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #42
Rivet Master
 
munimula's Avatar

 
1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 597
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
It looks like the segment damage is on a 64 to 68 trailer.
Andy
Andy, thanks for the reply - it's a '78 excella 500. thoughts?
__________________

__________________
munimula is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Solar Panel Installation 69Overlander Generators & Solar Power 28 03-03-2013 09:18 PM
Saggy Bottom ( rear end ) smily Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame 127 10-01-2006 09:28 PM
replacement panel maznblu Ribs, Skins & Rivets 4 09-18-2002 06:45 PM
Dented panel replaced Jim W Ribs, Skins & Rivets 1 07-08-2002 08:07 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.