Old 08-26-2005, 09:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Mea culpa

I stand corrected. I was confusing the term "end cap" with "end shell". I should have used the latter term.

However, as you say, the lower corner of the end shell as well as the babana wrap are both compound.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Slade, Not to worry the lower corner piece you describe is just a flat piece of aluminum.
It is Not a compound curve.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

If I understand the piece in question, it was not a compound curve in '78. It is now, and has been since, oh '82 or so.

If it is a simple curve, then a flat sheet can be riveted in place. There are posts in the archives concerning the correct guage of the exterior aluminum, but I do wonder if the corner sections are of a heavier guage. Anyone know?

Mark
Old 08-27-2005, 08:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Here is the Zip Dee info
Toll Free phone (800)-338-BEST (2378)
In Illinois 847-437-0980
Fax 847-437-7064

Mailing Address: 96 Crossen Ave,
Elk Grove Village, Illinois 60007

Their web address is http://www.zipdeeinc.com/
Old 08-27-2005, 10:06 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
When replacing the exterior panels I found that it is best to use .040" for the sides of the trailer and .032" for the front and back lower curved panels.The stiffness of the .040 makes it lie much flatter.The curve gives the rear panel strength so 032" worked fine.That was on a '61 and I don't know what they used on a '78.I understand the service manual has all info required for replacement.Would love to see what they have to say about it.Here is a pic of the rear panel sheet and one of the finished product on my '61.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canada_day0171.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	14256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Curbside0007.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	14257  

Old 08-27-2005, 11:21 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Folks, I really appreciate all of the input so far, It is building my confidence. The only real chore that I have taken on this coach was to rebuild the entry door. All of the posts are very encouraging. Here are some images of the damage. It looks like I will have to bend a rib back into shape.

Thanks, Slade
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	as2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	14263   Click image for larger version

Name:	as3.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	14264  

Name:	as1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	14265  
Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Well I finally got around to replacing the quarter panel. I pulled the panel off and it is indeed a compund curve, not flat. The panel cost about $450 new. I have the panel out now. I belive that I am going to cut the damaged (flat portion out) and rivet a new section in place on the panel and then put the quarter panel back on. It will not look as nice as a full sheet, but with all of the upgrades that i have been completing on this rig, I can't spare $450 currently. sw
Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
The skin that I am replacing is .032
Old 06-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 34' Excella
1962 16' Bambi
New Haven , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladew
The skin that I am replacing is .032
what rivets are you going to use?

--dave
Old 06-14-2006, 11:01 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Dave,

I am going to utilize the Olymic bulb-tite rivets. Unfortunately I am either going to have to purchase a shaver or be really careful with a dremel tool to clean the head of the Rivet. I am not sure if they are 3/16 or 5/32. I ordered 100 of them from Inland RV for $20. I have a box full at the house I will measure the width and get back to you.

Slade
Old 06-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sladew
Dave,

I am going to utilize the Olymic bulb-tite rivets. Unfortunately I am either going to have to purchase a shaver or be really careful with a dremel tool to clean the head of the Rivet. I am not sure if they are 3/16 or 5/32. I ordered 100 of them from Inland RV for $20. I have a box full at the house I will measure the width and get back to you.

Slade

From 1969 to present, all the sections of metal on the front and rear end shells are compound curves, except the panels below the front and rear window.

You cannot replace the quarter panels with flat metal.

Put a straight edge from the top of the quarter panel to the bottom and you will quickly see that it is "not" straight.

Unless you remove the complete shell from a damaged trailer, you cannot remove a segment or quarter panel and use it again.

There are blind rivets that hold those panels in place on the first or last main bow as the case may be, which are underneath the side, window and roof sheets of aluminum.

You will need to get a replacement from a dealer. The cost is ball park $400.00 for a quarter panel. If you wish to polish the trailer, the new quarter panel will exactly match the shine as it originally did, even though a different aluminum is used.

Turn the loss into your insurance company.

A dealer that knows how to replace that panel, will charge about $1000.00 or more, to replace it, plus freight. Labor, depending on the shop, will be about 8 hours, turn key.

Andy
Old 06-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Agree completely ,

Go with the insurance and fix it right ,sounds like a nightmare ,what with the
hidden rivits and what else you need to do to even get at them.Even at 1500
dollars ,it as good as new !!

Scott
Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Mesa , Arizona
Smile

Unfortunately, It is a bit more complicated than that as the damage to the trailer was done last fall. Trust me I would have submitted this to my ins co. if it was still possible. To make a long story short I waited too long to file the claim and have since switched inusrance cos, so the damage is not insurable.

That said. The repairs are complete. I took the old quarter panel, cut out the damaged section along the front of it (about the first 12 inches of the quarter panel were completely cut out). I then Added in a piece of .032 flat sheet. Matched the rivet pattern on the rest of the rig. and replaced the quarter panel. I am not sure if I am missing something about blind rivets, etc., but the quarter panel slid right out and with a little coaxing and a few sheetmetal cuts to my fingers, slid right back in. It took me about 1 hour to remove the rivets, 2 hours to mend the quarter panel and patch in a new secion of rib that was bent and about 3 hours to slide the quarter panel back into place perma-bond and re-rivet. I still have to clean up the rivets. It definiitely does not look as good as a non patched quarter (there is a patch), but it actually came out looking better than I had expected. All of the rivets I took out were bucked, so the quarter panel has probably never been replaced. Interestingly enough, the panel had not been sealed, with a few exceptions of vulcum around the taillight housing. The other interesting thing is that the flat sheets on my rig seem to be .032 while the compund section that I repaired was slightly thinner, .025? Anyway I just need to figrue out how I am going to clean up all fo these rivets and put the trim and the awning back in place.

Long term I would like to replace the panel with one that has not been mended but I am already way over budget on this trailer with all of the other projects that I am currently doing (new furniture, floor coverings, tank relocations to name a few) and had to make a concession on the quarter panel. Right now $450 is too much to spend when I can fix it for $20 and $1000-$2500 is not even in the cards unless I want to end up in divorce court.

sw
Old 06-16-2006, 11:03 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
You still can submit a claim to the "old" insurance company.

Thery may squawk, but legally, they must honor your claim.

If they refuse, you can take them to small cliams court and win, hands down.

But you must be prepared with an estimate from a Certified Airstream dealer.

What you did is ok, but it reduces the value of your Airstream far more than you may realize.

A repair, that is spliced in, suggests improper repairs to a buyer, who will assume that other parts of the trailer have been likewise repaired in the same fashion, namely, scabbing in parts, especially when you spliced in a flat piece of metal, instead of the original compound curve. That area may look flat, but it is not.

Sooner or later, you will pay a financial penalty for that type repair.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Andy