Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That hurts to look at. I agree that this dent will be difficult to repair short of panel replacement. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveson View Post
Had one in about the samespot on my 66 tradewind. Had a dent wizzard (paintless dent repair) do the repair. He drilled a hole in the window frame and pushed almost all the dent out. Then inserted a plug in the hole. Much less then replacement and a reasonable fix.
Really, fixed through the window frame huh? Know if the guy is still available? I think I'd drive to Boca for the work as I'm in Pt.St. Lucie fairly often.

Laura

Old 12-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Really, fixed through the window frame huh? Know if the guy is still available? I think I'd drive to Boca for the work as I'm in Pt.St. Lucie fairly often.

Laura
Ball park, depending on a dealers labor rate, those 2 segments would cost a little over $2000.00 to replace.

Insurance companies do not cancel or raise rates, because of a loss caused by "mother nature". You have what is called a "comprehensive loss", and most times, that means you would have a "0" deductible.

The creases in those segments, cannot be removed. Replacement is the only remedy, if you want the trailer to look OK.

Progressive is a top notch insurance company, that doesn't play games when a claim is submitted. They always perform "fair and square".

Andy
Old 12-10-2009, 09:46 AM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ouch... I'd say that one would be tough to repair short of a couple of new panels.

Know you're sick about it.

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #19
_

. , .
bummer kill!

given the seam is right at the center of that mess,

the likelihood of a weather TIGHT repair withOUT panel replacement is SMALL.

ok, zero.

2 segments, just get them replaced. 2500$ +/- and within months you'll be all healed and forgotten this.

in fact while u are recovering from the distress NOW and awaiting the repair,

COVER that area with water proof material and STICKY tape.

before water intrusion makes a mess INSIDE the segments.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I've got a similar one from a roofer who was specifically instructed to not touch the trailer backed up to the house while he was working on the roof. His boss didn't have a bond either.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
I've got a similar one from a roofer who was specifically instructed to not touch the trailer backed up to the house while he was working on the roof. His boss didn't have a bond either.
Turn it into your insurance company, "AND" be very specific as to how the loss occurred.

They will pay for the loss, and subrogate against the roofer. They may not even charge you a deductible, since the trailer was parked. Should be a comprehensive loss.

They will probabley ask you "how much damage". Ball park, each segment costs a little over $1000.00 to replace.

Andy
Old 12-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Well, I've never seen a good looking dent in an Airstream before, so I'm not surprised by your picture. It really doesnt look that bad to me. I think you could pull most, if not all of it back out without much left to show afterwards. You could do a better job of it with the interior out, but I would try to do it from the outside first and see if it's satisfactory. From the inside you could use a roller to smooth it out after popping it out.
If you think you may try to go through your insurance to repair it have them come and look at it before you try anything at all. Otherwise you may find that you have screwed yourself as far as the claim goes.

Good luck,
Rich the Viking
Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #23
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
If you think you may try to go through your insurance to repair it have them come and look at it before you try anything at all. Otherwise you may find that you have screwed yourself as far as the claim goes.
I've got a couple that I was able to push out, but, geez, why pay for insurance year after year and not use it? This looks like the time to use it.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I agree, insurance is for claims. We have Progressive and found them to be easy to work with when my wife backed into a friend's car (I remind her of that every once in a while because that's what marriage is for). Since there's no fault involved, it shouldn't raise your premiums. Where did the branch come from?—was it your tree or someone else's?—maybe someone else is responsible and maybe your trailer insurer will take care of that. Because it's wind damage, there maybe a deductible for that in hurricane country, so if someone else owns the tree and wasn't keeping it pruned, they would have to pay the deductible if insurance won't. If it's your tree, your homeowner's insurance may be the way to go, but there is fault there (not trimming the tree) and it would raise premiums.

Gene
Old 12-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Thanks for the replies! I don't know exactly what I'll do yet - but think there's an Airstream dealer in Ocala. I'll have to see if they do repairs or have someone they recommend. I don't know of anyone around here. I can probably drive a few hours to get it done - and have some time off during the holidays/new year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I agree, insurance is for claims. We have Progressive and found them to be easy to work with when my wife backed into a friend's car (I remind her of that every once in a while because that's what marriage is for). Since there's no fault involved, it shouldn't raise your premiums. Where did the branch come from?ówas it your tree or someone else's?ómaybe someone else is responsible and maybe your trailer insurer will take care of that.

...Gene
That would be MY TREE. It makes for a pretty setting I moved it to the roadside earlier this year when high winds were anticipated and we had already had substantial rain. Thougt I'd save Ophelia if my tree came down. This neighborhood is full of mature 100+ yr-old oaks. I sort of halted my annual *maintenance* pruning. A close family friend, 6th generation Floridian, owns a tree care service. Last year he told me that, in the event of a decent-sized hurricane, my neighbors oaks are as likely to land on my home as my own .... Now he only takes out medium/large diseased or dead limbs. I have no idea what actually hit my trailer as no limbs are on the ground!!! But there was a small piece of bark wedged in the seam (that fell out when I was feelin' around). Course, my lawn service was done Tuesday afternoon. Maybe they took the debris away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Ball park, depending on a dealers labor rate, those 2 segments would cost a little over $2000.00 to replace.

Insurance companies do not cancel or raise rates, because of a loss caused by "mother nature". You have what is called a "comprehensive loss", and most times, that means you would have a "0" deductible.

The creases in those segments, cannot be removed. Replacement is the only remedy, if you want the trailer to look OK.

Progressive is a top notch insurance company, that doesn't play games when a claim is submitted. They always perform "fair and square".

Andy
Thanks for the info Andy. I'll give them a call ASAP!!!

Laura
Old 12-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I have no idea what actually hit my trailer as no limbs are on the ground!!! But there was a small piece of bark wedged in the seam (that fell out when I was feelin' around). Course, my lawn service was done Tuesday afternoon. Maybe they took the debris away?

Maybe they dropped a limb on your Airstream, cleaned up fast, and got the h3ll out of there.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
not that bad, it gives it a war scare, take it easy, it could be worse, it could have hit you on the head returning at home and killed you.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:35 PM   #28
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
I think people are too worried about insurance. I pay $700.00 a year for Bess. We've had her for sixteen years; one claim for 4k and windshield replacements with a good size deductable. So the insurance company made 7k off me. Poor babies!