Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2015, 07:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Proper Riveting Technique. The devil is in the details.

I was up on my scaffold bucking the roof panels and cursing a lot.... a lot... I made my bucking partner blush I'm sure.

I've done about 10 panels, 4 to go and I'm slow on figuring this particular issue out.... lining up the holes so that you can push the rivets in with you finger and they all line up and you don' have to re-drill them.

I think this is what I'm doing wrong but I don't see how to do it "right".

1. Drill out the first holes with "Silver" and Cleco the panel.
2. Drill again with "Copper" and cleco the panel.
3. Once your happy. Remove the panel
4. Remove the protective plastic from both sides. These are new 2024 T3 .032 panels. This does a great job of de-burring IMO? They seem nice and clean.
5. Apply Trempro to joints
6. Put panel back up and Cleco with "Copper"
7. Push in rivets with your thumb. This is the often the frustrating part. There is enough play that sometimes They all go in... some need a re-drilling. sometimes I throw things around the yard.

I think ... maybe I should drill the "Copper" holes AFTER applying Trempro. Of course... there would be aluminum shavings all over the hole mixed in with trempro.

The only thing I can think of then is that I should push in some rivets as keepers during step 2 above. Maybe that would line things up better.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1757.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	252493  
bass-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Are you drilling with an 1/8" drill or a #30? How many Cleco's, should have one about every third hole or better with every other hole.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Using a "deep socket" or copper tube over the rivet will allow some additional control pressing the rivet home. Also, a dab of sealant on the rivet shank will minimize leakage...using a tool to assist in seating the rivet wil help keep fingers cleaner..

A block of wood with proper hole drilled inside could also help seating. Use a 1x2 or similar to make a "handle". Drill the end.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
#30, yea bout every 3rd
bass-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Have you measured the rivet diameter, could be the diameter of the rivet is alittle large
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote