Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
Pro Quality Dent Puller?

having tried the $1.99 Harbor Freight version to no avail, I'm hoping someone may be able to point me to a high-quality dent puller, suction-cup, that might be able to work on this big soft dent in the rear of my rig:
Click image for larger version

Name:	reardent-0801.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	96492

any info appreciated..
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Ding King, but I'm not sure it will work effectively on an indentation that size. Maybe if you worked in stages around the indent.

I too tried suction tools without much luck. I ended up removing the inner shell and then worked it out by hand. Needless to say, that is an extreme task.

DingKing.tv | Home

Tom Waugh

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I had big dents in the rear of my Trade Wind on above window where someone in the past had backed it under a garage that was just a little low. I tried all the tricks that are posted on various forums and nothing worked. The aluminum in the shell is just too thick and tough to work like auto sheet metal. Since I was doing the bath and had the interior out, I removed the fiberglass end cap in the bath. I next had a guy who does the paintless dent repair at the local car dealership come by. He had fixed a couple of big dents in my daughters Accord and his work is amazing. The aluminum just would not work. He could not get enough leverage to "move" the metal. Don't waste time on that idea. The last resort was the old fashion way, very carefully using dollies and body hammers (Harbor Freight has them), I very gently worked the dents out. I had several creases that would not just push out. You will need someone on the outside to hold the dolly. It is tricky and you can make things worse if you are not very careful. A quick glance and you won't see my dings, close inspections you can but few people every notice.
Good luck.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
thanks, TW, I'm only considering it because there's a blog video in cyberspace from this couple that's fulltiming and the guy's father in law fixes this pretty substantial dent with a suction puller....dude makes it look so easy its crazy! ...but, yes, I know its gotta be tougher...

I had my lower bath out a year ago but just didn't have the jam to pull the upper cap out at the time (I was on the verge of AS burnout ;-)....now I'm wishing I had taken a breather and pulled the cap...

I also have an even bigger dent (with creases) in the front that looks like it may require full panel replacement...ugh...
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
how about renting or borrowing an glass suction cup? Also check with the body shops, I seem to recall someone using a hot melt type glue to attach small tabs onto surfaces and pull dents that way, glue then could be heated up slightly and popped off without leaving marks on the metal.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari
Seattle , Washington
I found an 18" dent on the rear corner of my 08 one morning and bought two of the Harbor Freight 4" ($4 or $5 each) suction cups. I sprayed some cooking oil on the area to increase the effective suction and used both suction cups at the same time. I actually was pleased at how well the dent popped out.

Dave Hartley
Seattle
hartusi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
how about renting or borrowing an glass suction cup? Also check with the body shops, I seem to recall someone using a hot melt type glue to attach small tabs onto surfaces and pull dents that way, glue then could be heated up slightly and popped off without leaving marks on the metal.
I think that was ROYCE. Haven't seen him post for awhile.

I've had some success with the Harbor Freight cups. They work great if the shape of the dent allows them to get a grip.

Zep
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Body Buddy?

We're thinking about purchasing the Body Buddy to pull out an intractable front curbside dent on our 1961 Bambi. Body Buddy Vacu-Dent Pneumatic Dent Puller
At $199 it's not cheap, but we've heard great things about it. We believe a member posted his experience with it on a similar thread.

However we've had incredible results using a suction cup similar to the image below. It helps to work on the dent when it's hot outside, or use a blow dryer at its maximum setting to heat up the aluminum, making it easier to manipulate. We pulled out a dent on our 1974 Tradewind similar to yours using it.

Good luck! Please let us know how things work out.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I have been looking at these and like this one better...

Klutch Pneumatic Dent Puller | Auto Body Tools | Northern Tool + Equipment
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
Austin , Texas
I've used the Harbor Freight product with great results. Put a little water on the cup and the grip was enough to pull out a 12 inch divit! I agree that this is better done on a warm if not hot day. The result was not perfect but hard to detect unless you were looking for it.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Check out my post asking for before and after pics.
There is a similar dent in the rear cap of one of them that came out pretty well.
I also just found that Klutch dent puller on Ebay cheaper...
Old 12-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I bought a cheap vacuum type dent puller at Autozone and then connected it up to a 1 hp Gast vacuum pump. Spread on some KY jelly to get a good seal and was able to pull several good size dents out.
The trick here is to just have a 1 hp vacuum pump just laying around the house.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Smile The Body Buddy Vacu-dent

Try the Body Buddy Vacu-dent.

I have seen it work and it did a surprisingly good job on dents in several different Airstreams.

It requires a source of 85psig compressed air (strangely enough).

You can find it online at:

Auto Body Toolmart - Paint Booths, Shop Equipment, Dent Repair Tools

for about $200
Old 12-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Limited
Port Perry , Ontario
I seem to recall a thread with a similar dent that was repaired by heating the dented area until it popped out !
ALTE797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

The orange plastic dent puller from Harbor Freight will not work on your dent. The suction is good but when it breaks loose be ready to pick yourself up off the ground.
Try a vacu-dent first from a body shop first.
Tinsel
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
Rear locker removal

I also have a dent that I would like to repair, but some of the suction cup tools will not get a grip. Looking from the rear, the dent is on the upper right hand corner above and to the right of the rear window. I think I can get to the dent from the inside if I could figure our how to remove the upper rear wall locker. I can not find any screws or way to remove the locker. The end panel next to the lift up door has no visiable way to remove. I can remove the door but I can not see any other fastners. This is a 2007 Bambi SE with the Safari interior. Has anyone removed this rear locker from this model? Any suggestions.
Frank
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotochop View Post
having tried the $1.99 Harbor Freight version to no avail, I'm hoping someone may be able to point me to a high-quality dent puller, suction-cup, that might be able to work on this big soft dent in the rear of my rig:
Attachment 96492

any info appreciated..
Try going to a hospital pharmacy and look for a portable double suction cup handle (about a foot long)...they have two great suction cups and are designed to support the weight of a human being. Cost about twenty four bucks. It's white and in a plastic bag.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Try contacting "Shacksman" here on the forum with a PM. He brought a heck of a gadget with him to the Bash last summer and it did a fairly successful job reducing the effects of a large dent. It required an air compressor to supply the pressure to operate the suction cup (uses venturi effect to create vacuum). I missed getting him to try it on the dent in the front curb side of my Caravel. Maybe I can convince him to bring it to Bash II and help me out.

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Santa delivered early at the Keyair household!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Goody, goody. I go by your town now and then. Next time I get out there with the Overlander (and its dent), I'll stop by!

Zep