Old 04-16-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
1964 28' Ambassador
Panama City Beach , Florida
Please help--- 1964 Panel Repair Questions

Hi friends. I am still having difficulty processing what just happened. I am selling my 28ft restored 1964 Airstream Ambassador. Sometime between last Friday and yesterday it was vandalized in its RV storage facility here in Florida. I only discovered this yesterday when giving the rig a bath only two hours before my buyer from CA was scheduled to land (after flying all day across the country) to inspect the trailer before we finalize and ship it. Ugh.

The storage facility agreed to cover the damage. So I am hoping to get some answers from you smart/experienced folks here on any number of associated matters moving forward.

I will post some images. Some questions-

Is it feasible that a paintless dent removal type service is a fix?

Assuming full panel repair, what type of aluminum should I ensure is used?

What is a good source for the material?

Any ideas on costs of materials, estimation of time/cost to repair?

Any commentary on the right repair approach? I have heard that it needs to be done from the inside which is time intensive and expensive. I have also heard that there is a more economical way which includes "Olympic" rivets and adhesive. Thoughts?

Can you recommend anyone to do the repairs either near NW Florida or Orange County, CA?

Wanting the outcome of the repair to be sound structurally, leak free and aesthetically right meaning- I want it to look as closely like the rest of the aluminum.

I don't know what I don't know (which I assume is a lot) so any misc guidance you can provide to get me moving in the right direction and to minimize headaches, nightmares, etc. is greatly appreciated!

Thx! George

Some specifics on the damage-

Several dozen small pockmark dents isolated to about a one foot high area of a single side panel that unfortunately--- spans the full length across it. There are about a half dozen more on the "door within the door" panel that opens. (see red square labeled A to understand the extent of where the damage is)

I suspect that if panel replacement is required that there would be two pieces--- 1 huge panel and 1 door within door panel (see yellow squares marked B and C)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	236415   Click image for larger version

Name:	bc.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	236416  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG