Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Nice looking rig!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Cost of painting vs clearcoating?

Does anyone know the cost comparison of painting vs clearcoating. Also, I would really appreciate it if anyone knows of a reputable place to have painting done on an Airstream in the Eastern US.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Researching another issue I ran across this thread. Take a look at that painted Flying Fortress in post #7!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier
... reputable place to have painting done on an Airstream in the Eastern US.
Dunno Stewart. Try asking TheVAP's Colin Hyde at GSM Vehicles what sort of shops might take this on. Better yet -- call your question in to the VAP question line! Aircraft painters? We've read many posts about truck painters and they tend to use acid washes -- a BIG no-no with an Airstream.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 AM   #84
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
The problem with clearcoating is that it is difficult to get the coating to "bite" into pristine aluminum. When painting, one can sand the aluminum first, giving it a much rougher surface before applying primer. The paint can stick to that much better than to untreated aluminum.
Can't do that with clearcoat, since it would be visible afterwards.
Look for truck paint facilities. Those have large enough spray booth and also usually have experience painting over aluminum.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #85

1973 25' Tradewind
Orange , California
The AS website cliams that white paint is used on new trailer roof panels to reduce the interior temperature by "7 degrees". Can anyone confirm this? I live in the Southwest, and the heat load can be oppressive.
amlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #86
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
My '97 Excella from "Cronology of Painting My Excella" fame has a factory painted white roof and yes, white absorbs less of the solar energy making it cooler.

On this thread I've read a lot about Plasticoat being the only clearcoat for aluminum. I may have an alternative. Last winter I had a brainstorm and invented the item shown below. To finish the aluminum components, I first did an alumiprep wash, then did a CLEAR alodine conversion coat (available from Aircraft Spruce, Inc.), then I painted it with clear Imron. Most people do not know that Imron starts out as a clear base then pigments are added to it to achieve the desired color. I used the clear base with no pigments. So far, the Imron is doing great, and it has a very near match to Airsteam clearcoat. Some people may not know it, but Imron is one of the few products which retains it's color over a long life with almost no yellowing. Where other linear urethanes yellow over time, Imron does not.

Durability? Time will tell, but it's doing fine so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t-shade 006.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	49872   Click image for larger version

Name:	t-shade 007.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	49873  

Click image for larger version

Name:	t-shade 009.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	49874   Click image for larger version

Name:	t-shade 011.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	49875  

Old 11-25-2007, 12:05 PM   #87
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
For the record, I don't think the clear Imron would work on polished aluminum. I am convinced it needs a "texture" to "lock into" to keep from peeling.