Old 01-06-2007, 05:01 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
I am not Andy, but try Colin Hyde at GSM Vehicles in Plattsburg, NY. He painted Rich Luhr's Argosy (Airstream Life). I think that they answered a similiar question on TheVAP this week.

Bill
Thanks for the heads up Bill. I will look them up.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:41 PM   #58
Nick A

1987 29' Sovereign
Kingston , Georgia
I have an 87 Soverign, 29 ft, and the clear coat is gone on the roof and looking kind of ugly in places. Looks great on one side...
Short of spending thousands on EITHER paint or a new clearcoat job, is there anything I can buy to polish, or clean thees areas that someone has had good luck with??
Nick A

Old 01-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Painting Airstream

I am either going to have my 87 34' Excella refinished at PandS in Ohio or have it painted. The problem is I'm in NC and I don't know of any place that is experienced in painting Airstreams. If anyone has any idea where I might get the kind of job that Inland RV does in the East I would appreciate it.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier
I am either going to have my 87 34' Excella refinished at PandS in Ohio or have it painted. The problem is I'm in NC and I don't know of any place that is experienced in painting Airstreams. If anyone has any idea where I might get the kind of job that Inland RV does in the East I would appreciate it.
tslanier,

Look at post 15.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Painting Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
tslanier,

Look at post 15.

Bill
Thanks very much!
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Clear Coat

My 1990 GMC Van needed to be repainted. In spite of the fact that in my personal opinion is that clear coats are not durable, we preped it, shot the color, then clear coated. Not until I had to re do the pinch weld area around the windshield (windshield broke) and went to purchase the paint my self did i find out about the adheasion enhanser that DuPont sells for the chear coat that none of the body shops purchase here (pricey).
The clear coat hides imperfections (sanding scratches that would have to be worked out with yet a finer grit wet or dry) that would show on a one step system (no clear coat) thus cutting prep time.
My 1984 Camaro Berlinetta (one step) still polishes up just fine. In 1997 I had to redo the van due to clear coat falling off (and other body issues). It was time.
Pigmented paints, with all the enhansers and additives do seem to outlast any clear coat (two step system) by far.
I tent to agree with Andy at Inland.
His post echos my experience with auto paints.
If it has a pigment, it lasts. If its clear, 4 to 6 years at most (8 to 10 if garage kept) at least here on the east coast.
Beginner
Old 01-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
afton , Virginia
argosy newbies

We are looking at purchasing a 73 Argosy. It has been sitting idle for about 7 years. A novice do it yourself handyman wanted to do some work on it...but gave up on the daunting task. He took OFF all the paint down to aluminum...doesn't look to bad at all....everything needs TLC....anyone have experience with this line? Do you know of major items we need to look out for?
Old 01-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #64
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumibum
We are looking at purchasing a 73 Argosy. It has been sitting idle for about 7 years. A novice do it yourself handyman wanted to do some work on it...but gave up on the daunting task. He took OFF all the paint down to aluminum...doesn't look to bad at all....everything needs TLC....anyone have experience with this line? Do you know of major items we need to look out for?
Torsion axle rubber rods deteriorate when not used for years.

The following article will let you check them yourself.

Dura Torque Axle

Andy
Old 01-13-2007, 04:03 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Early Argosy Trailer

Greetings alumibum!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
In reality, the Argosy is basically a painted Airstream. The construction method and materials are virtually identical. The Argosy typically has fewer of the "bells and whistles", but the structural and basic living systems are quite comparable. One obvious difference would be the galvanized endcaps on the exterior -- they can be the source of galvanic reaction and rust problems if not well-maintained. Beyond the galvanized end-caps, the typical problem areas would be little different from a similar era and size Airstream.

Good luck with your inspection!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
There is a paintless Argosy in the area here. If it wasn't for the front rap-around window you would never realize it's true history. Looks like an Airstream.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
afton , Virginia
argosy newbies

Thanks for the info! We took the big leap! It's now sitting in our driveway next to our 89 "Stella" the Excella. Do we have the alumivirus or what?! Somebody stop us!!! Do they sell airstream parts in bulk? We are looking for a 74 Argosy trailer manual now...need to do some electric and plumbing work. Stella the Excella now has her groove back. Soon to have before and after pics.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #68
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for the info! We took the big leap! It's now sitting in our driveway next to our 89 "Stella" the Excella. Do we have the alumivirus or what?! Somebody stop us!!! Do they sell airstream parts in bulk? We are looking for a 74 Argosy trailer manual now...need to do some electric and plumbing work. Stella the Excella now has her groove back. Soon to have before and after pics.
Service manuals for the Argosy trailers were essentially the same as for the Airstream trailers.

Those manuals are available.

Andy
Old 01-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #69
Jamie

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Oriental , North Carolina
Question Clearcoat vs Paint

Hi, all - we're about decided to have the blimp painted instead of yet another round of new clearcoat - those seem to last 3 years max. and a paint job properly prepped and primed should last fifteen. HOWEVER it would be dumb to not check with y'all first. Any comments?
Jamie
Old 01-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
There are many discussions here on this subject, please try the search ....photos and more are posted . Thanks

here is just one of the threads--- http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=painting

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote