Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #1

1999 34' Cutter Bus w/slide
Brazoria , Texas
Outer skin of unit (roof to outer wall)

My roof to side fiberglass skin on my MH has become separated from each other and I believe water is coming in to the wall between, settling onto the floor and seeping in under the carpet wetting the side of the carpet and coach floor. I want to reattach the roof and had purchased some sheet metal screws to do this. However, if I tighten much, the screw strips. I have that I need to use rivets again. However, the rivets are not drilling out. Instead just breaking off. One question is, "Can I just push the rest of the rivit into the inside and replace with another rivet? and are there certain types of rivets that I must use? Finally, what type (if any) of sealant should be used between the two surfaces to insure bonding and sealing? (I notice that some kind of sealer, glue or tacky substance is currently on the two mating surfaces now.

Another concern: there are two floor vents just inside the doorway in the floor, that jet hot air into the cabin when driving. I can't find the way to shut them off and this makes summner driving miserable... Any suggestions?

thanks,
John
jaharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the forums and joys of owning a motorhome.

Need more detail and pictures of the problem.
Is this a gas on Ford or Chev?
Front door or mid-mount?
http://service.airstream.com/files/l...54f1faa732.pdf

Looks like a mid-mount door with heater. Have you got the fan on there?
On my Clipper, it has never been a problem. You could put a mat over the vents when needed, rather than shut off the manual water valve at the engine. If you shut off the water valve, you loose the pre-heat exchanger on the hot water tank.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaharper View Post
My roof to side fiberglass skin on my MH has become separated from each other and I believe water is coming in to the wall between, settling onto the floor and seeping in under the carpet wetting the side of the carpet and coach floor. I want to reattach the roof and had purchased some sheet metal screws to do this. However, if I tighten much, the screw strips. I have that I need to use rivets again. However, the rivets are not drilling out. Instead just breaking off. One question is, "Can I just push the rest of the rivit into the inside and replace with another rivet? and are there certain types of rivets that I must use? Finally, what type (if any) of sealant should be used between the two surfaces to insure bonding and sealing? (I notice that some kind of sealer, glue or tacky substance is currently on the two mating surfaces now.

Another concern: there are two floor vents just inside the doorway in the floor, that jet hot air into the cabin when driving. I can't find the way to shut them off and this makes summner driving miserable... Any suggestions?

thanks,
John
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote