Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Ouch, options for this new rear dent?

Just experienced my first major dent (backed into garage). After properly flogging myself, it is time to explore options to fix it. Unit is a 25 ft Safari (2005). Dent is located in area occupied by interior corner shower. Looks like no damage along the horizontal seam (a rib there I suppose), but the vertical seam is dent. Questions:

1. Can this be pulled out from exterior (suction cups perhaps?)
  2. If not, can it be pushed out from inside? If so, how do you remove shower to access it?
I realize that there will probably be crinkles left with either option. It is insured, but I just received a check for a recent claim for axle damage (forced off the highway and hit a curb at full speed), so I hate to make another claim right now.

Thoughts from the AS think tank?
Attached Images

driftwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Redmond , Washington
I'd try paint less dent repair, if you google it and watch some of the YouTube videos you'll see that they can do some pretty amazing stuff.

That being said they are mostly working on steel and not aluminum, might find someone who's done work on one of the newer aluminum skinned vehicles.
Mgieselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
That's probably a $4k-$5k hit. Maybe $2k just in parts. You may be best off to contact your insurance and ask their advice.

Even if your policy increased $500 a year, you are still going to be ahead.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Yeah; that's not going to buff out unfortunately.

Aluminum, believe it or not, is actually harder to mold back into shape, once distorted, than steel, especially sharp dents or creases; so even pushing the dent out from the inside won't work. Suction cups work for a small deflection, or ding in the middle of a panel, but will not work in this case.

IMHO sorry to say, but panel replacement will be your only option.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Joliet , Illinois
You need one of these stickers......at least till ya get it fixed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Band-aid-car-sticker.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	272057
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
That's probably a $4k-$5k hit. Maybe $2k just in parts. You may be best off to contact your insurance and ask their advice.

Even if your policy increased $500 a year, you are still going to be ahead.
I suspect having had only a single panel replaced this spring the above estimate is on the extreme low side.

If the OP sends the photo to an Airstream dealer or directly to Airstream they will be able to obtain a realistic estimate.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Ouch, that looks like a sharp crinkle! My theory on things like this is that since it's already screwed up you can't really hurt it much by trying to fix it. You might be able to cut a slot at the bottom of the deep crinkle and then work the rest of the dent back into shape and put a decorative patch over the worst of the area. Make it look like it is supposed to be that way sort of as art project. In fact, don't you need a sky-lite there? Start by looking into paint-less repair and also a member here dreamed up an excellent technique using an inner tube and plywood. Think about it a lot and have a realistic plan before tearing into it.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
Suction cups don't work. The aluminum is too tough. Call Airstream service and send them a picture for a competitive estimate. They will give you a list of parts. A new curved quarter panel will be about $400. You can drill out a ton of rivets and replace the panel yourself but my experience says get the pros to do it.

Don't ask how I know all this.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
I suspect having had only a single panel replaced this spring the above estimate is on the extreme low side.

If the OP sends the photo to an Airstream dealer or directly to Airstream they will be able to obtain a realistic estimate.

OK you called me out! Care to share your details on your one-panel repair and who did the work?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
How about that vacuum trick? There was a recent thread showing it. It would be a big custom made coupler, but it could be tried as is with no disassembly.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Thanks for the input everyone. My thoughts:

- I don't trust my skills to attempt a true repair, but might be willing to at least try and push it out from the inside to at make it look better until I can get it to a professional this winter. Looks like the upper portion of the shower can be removed by taking out about 15 screws, and currying the caulk line. There are no plumbing fixtures in that section. Am I missing anything?

- I like the idea of getting airstream to provide a rough estimate from the photos. Will help me plan at least.

- surprised at the 4K plus number that was thrown out, and even more surprised that someone thought that was low

- the comment about the insurance going up 500, and being worth it, is a good point.

- there is an older gentleman in my area that does airstream work but he appears to be pretty much retired now. He answers the phone one out of every 10 attempts...will keep trying.

- should I be worried about water leaks along the vertical seam? I have several fall excursions coming up. Guess I could caulk it just in case.

- can anyone tell me why damage to my AS is so much more upsetting than damage to my vehicles or house? I usually do not fret over losses associated with material items, or my bone- headed mistakes, but for some reason AS damages get to me...

- the humorous comments were appreciated as well!

Thanks
driftwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
I was at the factory in June for some repairs. There were several in for similar damage to yours that were parked around me.

I think the $6-7K range may be more like it. (and that may be low)

One guy had pulled his trailer to close to a plastic windshield washer vessel on a post at a gas station and had damage to 4 panels down the side. His repair cost was upwards of $23K.

D
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 10:57 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
It is expensive, but not to worry!!! Aluminum is recycled all the time!

That AS is worth proper repair. The rivets will need "bucking from inside, so, inner wall removal,,, if other panels have been deformed, there may be more panels compromised.

If you have good insurance, then this is what it is for.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
I was at Airstream last month their repair lot was full I would call them and get it in line for repair . Sorry for your damage I came close to doing the same thing.
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Sharp angles, just replace all affected panels...then flog yourself
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
dawsonville , Georgia
I had similar one lower in the back side section...encounter with the neighbor's mailbox....bought a suction cup dent puller from WalMart and it took "most" of the dent out. I was amazed at the outcome. Good luck.
Cleosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
Suction cups don't work. The aluminum is too tough. Call Airstream service and send them a picture for a competitive estimate. They will give you a list of parts. A new curved quarter panel will be about $400. You can drill out a ton of rivets and replace the panel yourself but my experience says get the pros to do it.

Don't ask how I know all this.
If like mine I can only imagine
FreedomRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
We call that a ' brain fart' moment. We all have done the same at one point..
Talk to me about pulling to close to a spare tire mount and can opener the side of our stick and staple 5 th wheel... What made matters worst,,,..my dear wife was spotting for me...
Sodbust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ml#post1818600

That's a big area. Is going to show no matter how you try to fix it. But, here is my PDR post on smaller areas. You can probably help it out if you want to spend the time trying--and don't want to get in behind to work from inside. Don't see how you can hurt much. PDR os really for smaller dents, but some big stuff has been done using big home made pull tabs and lots of glue. (rollers from inside would work good) (new panels and Olympic Rivets would yield the best outside "do it yourself" results.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
ompah , Ontario
Fixing a big dent

I thought that using dry ice was the key to these kind of major dents. Don't know any mor than that.pete
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote