Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Sharp angles, just replace all affected panels...then flog yourself

Old 09-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
dawsonville , Georgia
I had similar one lower in the back side section...encounter with the neighbor's mailbox....bought a suction cup dent puller from WalMart and it took "most" of the dent out. I was amazed at the outcome. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleRussell View Post
Suction cups don't work. The aluminum is too tough. Call Airstream service and send them a picture for a competitive estimate. They will give you a list of parts. A new curved quarter panel will be about $400. You can drill out a ton of rivets and replace the panel yourself but my experience says get the pros to do it.

Don't ask how I know all this.
If like mine I can only imagine
Old 09-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
We call that a ' brain fart' moment. We all have done the same at one point..
Talk to me about pulling to close to a spare tire mount and can opener the side of our stick and staple 5 th wheel... What made matters worst,,,..my dear wife was spotting for me...
Old 09-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...ml#post1818600

That's a big area. Is going to show no matter how you try to fix it. But, here is my PDR post on smaller areas. You can probably help it out if you want to spend the time trying--and don't want to get in behind to work from inside. Don't see how you can hurt much. PDR os really for smaller dents, but some big stuff has been done using big home made pull tabs and lots of glue. (rollers from inside would work good) (new panels and Olympic Rivets would yield the best outside "do it yourself" results.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
ompah , Ontario
Fixing a big dent

I thought that using dry ice was the key to these kind of major dents. Don't know any mor than that.pete
Old 09-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood1 View Post

- I don't trust my skills to attempt a true repair, but might be willing to at least try and push it out from the inside to at make it look better until I can get it to a professional this winter. Looks like the upper portion of the shower can be removed by taking out about 15 screws, and currying the caulk line. There are no plumbing fixtures in that section. Am I missing anything?
I backed my FC 19 into my driveway last December and was all flustered because it had suddenly started to snow like crazy, and was not being as careful as normal. I got out to see if I had backed in far enough to get the hitch area out of the road (I have a super short driveway) and almost died when I saw that I had stopped LITERALLY less than an inch from the top of my door, which is rock siding. I was SO lucky--but also can see how it can happen.

Anyway, regarding your thoughts on the shower removal...after that comes out, there will be interior aluminum skin that would have to be drilled out and removed, and it's highly likely that to get at the whole interior panel, you will have to remove far more than the top half of the shower.

If you have several trips coming up, I'd just make sure the seams are solid, seal them if needed, and hit the road. Then decide after what to do...maybe get it to the factory and let them have it all winter to get it fixed.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Some damage had been done to my rear upper three panels just above my rear window on my 2016 22 Sport. Left my trailer unattended for about 1hr this past Aug in early AM when it was still dark in a parking rest area, did not see the damage til that next day when I got home. Never did find out who or what type of large/high vehicle did it. Took it to Colonial Airstream in Lake Wood New Jersey a 5hr drive / 30 plus hr labor rate plus materials for a total of $6700 . They had it 5 days while my wife & I waited in a nearby town. I did not want to file a claim with State Farm, but I am glad I did. They paid the bill accept for my $500 insurance deductible. It looks as good as new. The person there who did the work had over 20 years with them doing that kind of repairs. Dealing with State Farm was pretty straight forward . You take the pictures since they do not show up to even look. Summit them with the claim & who you pick for the repair facility . In this case the insurance company did not try to make me take less on the settlement, agreed on the estimate Colonial gave me. The only real aggravating thing about this incident besides the damage was trying to explain to my insurer that if it was not a low flying UFO, then what kind of vehicle could have done it ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02036.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	272139  
Old 09-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
This is the trailer after Colonial replaced the rear top three panels
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02110.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	455.4 KB
ID:	272152  
Old 09-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Springville , Alabama
Great feedback guys, thanks. I am with State Farm, and they treated me well on last month's claim.

Thanks pcskier for the shower info, I think I will stay away from that and let the pros do it over the winter.

I think the thing that got to me on this as that we take long, 5,000 mike cross country trips every year, not to mention the frequent local weekend trips, and have backed the unit into every imaginable condition in both developed and boondock situations without incident. And I store it under a deck with a 1.5 ft of clearance on both sides, which I back into without a problem. This accident occurred in a wide open double drive with full visibility and no obstructions, yeesh!
Old 09-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Wethersfield , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood1 View Post
Just experienced my first major dent (backed into garage). After properly flogging myself, it is time to explore options to fix it. Unit is a 25 ft Safari (2005). Dent is located in area occupied by interior corner shower. Looks like no damage along the horizontal seam (a rib there I suppose), but the vertical seam is dent. Questions:

1. Can this be pulled out from exterior (suction cups perhaps?)
  2. If not, can it be pushed out from inside? If so, how do you remove shower to access it?
I realize that there will probably be crinkles left with either option. It is insured, but I just received a check for a recent claim for axle damage (forced off the highway and hit a curb at full speed), so I hate to make another claim right now.

Thoughts from the AS think tank?
I had a much much smaller dent on the same panel (other side) while parked - probably a truck mirror - and because it impacts the disturbance of 3 panels cost was estimated at $5 to $6k.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Sharp angles, just replace all affected panels...then flog yourself
When I summited the pictures to Tony at colonial for the estimate, I asked how they would repair the structural supports on the backside of the damaged panels that the rivets were attached to. Tony said there were none on that part of the trailer. I assumed the outside panels and the inside panels had another piece of aluminum support sandwiched in between them. Tony said those 3 pieces were put together as a one piece cap. That explains how easy that section on my 22 sport will give in. Now I am wondering whether I would even know if for example ... a large vehicle such as a utility truck with a over hanging bucket were to nudge be from behind when stopped at a light or stop sign. I probably would not even feel it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02036.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	272207  
Old 09-23-2016, 07:35 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcole View Post
Now I am wondering whether I would even know if for example ... a large vehicle such as a utility truck with a over hanging bucket were to nudge be from behind when stopped at a light or stop sign. I probably would not even feel it.
You might not. This is another nice thing about having a rear view camera on the back of the trailer - so you can see what's happening behind you when traveling.