Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
OUCH!!! How much do you think this will cost?

Hi guys,

I have a sad story here. I was moving the trailer (1986 29' Sovereign) over to make more space in the driveway for holiday guests. Well I guess my wife and I were both focussing on not hitting the fence on the passenger side (and I was trying to get traction on because there was ice in the gutters on my street). I was getting her in when the rear wheels on my truck slipped on the ice. When I got past the ice and got traction, the trailer lurched and I hit the overhang of my house. (If I could just go back in time, I wouldn't have worried about parking for guests). Anyway, take a look at the pics and tell me what do you think? What is this going to cost me to fix? I can't drive it around like this, I'm too embarrassed.

Thanks for your support,

Rod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cave in 2 sm.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	73602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cave in 3 sm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	73603  

Name:	Cave in 5 sm.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	73604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cave in 6 sm.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	73605  

72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Blazerod View Post
Hi guys,

I have a sad story here. I was moving the trailer (1986 29' Sovereign) over to make more space in the driveway for holiday guests. Well I guess my wife and I were both focussing on not hitting the fence on the passenger side (and I was trying to get traction on because there was ice in the gutters on my street). I was getting her in when the rear wheels on my truck slipped on the ice. When I got past the ice and got traction, the trailer lurched and I hit the overhang of my house. (If I could just go back in time, I wouldn't have worried about parking for guests). Anyway, take a look at the pics and tell me what do you think? What is this going to cost me to fix? I can't drive it around like this, I'm too embarrassed.

Thanks for your support,

Rod

Sorry that happened. Andy from Inland would be the best estimator of the cost of repair. I have a narrow driveway and my trailer has to pass under a eve with 4 inches of clearance, I use a electric dolly to move my trailer in tight spaces.

I feel for you best of luck.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Mini Rivet

1975 25' Tradewind
Holland , Michigan
That sucks

When I look at those pictures I get the same feeling a guy gets when he sees another guy get kicked in the privates parts.
bmklawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for your support,

Rod
We can provide a "from photo's estimate", that will help you with your insurance company.

Can you post a couple of photo's of the interior damage?

It also looks like the rear window is shattered.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Rod,

What a rotten thing to happen.

What is the damage like inside? Does it leak? Have you spoken to the folks at ICBC yet? It will be interesting to see how they approach this. As for the local dealer I can't say I have a lot of faith in them from what I've read in various posts here as well as from folks I've spoken to in various CG's over the past couple of years. I'll ask a couple of buddies in the car club who are in the body work supply business who might have the proven skills to tackle something like this. Otherwise you might need to take a trip to the folks in OR who sell and service Airstream. Spokane has a good dealer I understand but then you are up and over the Cascades at a lousy time of year. I'm sure you will want to have it fixed in time for summer camping.

Barry
Old 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
Rod,

What a rotten thing to happen.

What is the damage like inside? Does it leak? Have you spoken to the folks at ICBC yet? It will be interesting to see how they approach this. As for the local dealer I can't say I have a lot of faith in them from what I've read in various posts here as well as from folks I've spoken to in various CG's over the past couple of years. I'll ask a couple of buddies in the car club who are in the body work supply business who might have the proven skills to tackle something like this. Otherwise you might need to take a trip to the folks in OR who sell and service Airstream. Spokane has a good dealer I understand but then you are up and over the Cascades at a lousy time of year. I'm sure you will want to have it fixed in time for summer camping.

Barry
So far, just the exterior damage, exceeds $5000.00.

Replacing one segment is easy. Replacing 4 that are side by side, separates the boys from the real pro's, super fast.

The fit must be absolutely correct, and the during process, the seam sealing must be perfect.

If not, the segments will be ill fitting, with many leaks.

A dealer that has many years of experience, replacing groups of segments, would be the only place to go.

Andy
Old 01-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Uh.... I don't even know what you must be feeling... Andy's estimate is the second kick... whew!!! I think I read where someone did $14,000 damage to his trailer with the awning. So, $5,000 is cheap!!

Ok, this won't even get CLOSE to being "like new"... but if insurance is not going to cover this... this is an idea to get it at least a bit better appearing... (don't do anything until you finish with insurance though!!).

I'd pull the upper lights and try putting screws or something you can get purchase with and try to pull the dent a bit. Taking off the AS logo and doing that as well from a lower point may help... as would pulling the interior rear cap (a job in itself I think) and rolling it from inside.

Looks like it needs a labotomy to replace the top ....
Tell us the end of this story...
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Sorry about the damage.

A qualified repair shop can make it look good as new.
It will cost a pretty penny.

Good Luck
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Uh.... I don't even know what you must be feeling... Andy's estimate is the second kick... whew!!! I think I read where someone did $14,000 damage to his trailer with the awning. So, $5,000 is cheap!!

Ok, this won't even get CLOSE to being "like new"... but if insurance is not going to cover this... this is an idea to get it at least a bit better appearing... (don't do anything until you finish with insurance though!!).

I'd pull the upper lights and try putting screws or something you can get purchase with and try to pull the dent a bit. Taking off the AS logo and doing that as well from a lower point may help... as would pulling the interior rear cap (a job in itself I think) and rolling it from inside.

Looks like it needs a labotomy to replace the top ....
Tell us the end of this story...
Marc
If you look at the right top side of the window, you will see that it has been pushed in.

That indicates some rather severe structural damage.

No amount of pulling would do anything more than probably make the matters worse.

There obviously is some interior damage as well, as suggested by the depth of the dents.

Andy
Old 01-11-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2002 16' Bambi
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Delta , BC
I hope it's not a write off, I bought a 07 Bambi that ICBC had sold as salvage, it had more damage but the trailer was only a couple months old and at that time it listed @ $60,000 cdn. I was able to fix it in my driveway for about $4500 in Parts and a couple of weeks of my own labor. If you are handy and up for a challenge I can give you some idea of what parts to order and how to go about the repair. I live in Tsawwassen so I am not too far away let me know if I can help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bambi 1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	73616   Click image for larger version

Name:	bambi 2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	73617  

Name:	Bambi 4.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	73618   Click image for larger version

Name:	bambi 3.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	73619  

kevin barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow Kevin! That is some good work!! Did you replace that streetside lower as well? The complete pic looks pristine!
Marc
Old 01-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Ditto Kevin... great job! That's on of the most impressive things about our Airstream's is that you can actually fix them.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2002 16' Bambi
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Delta , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Wow Kevin! That is some good work!! Did you replace that streetside lower as well? The complete pic looks pristine!
Marc
Thanks Marc, yes the street side lower was replaced as well as the rear window and access door. I added a beam between the frame rails behind the aluminum bumper to give it some added strength, the aluminum is pretty but wont stand up to much of a hit.
kevin barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Great Job!

It looks great! very nice. Good project and well worth the labor and cost you put into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin barnes View Post
I hope it's not a write off, I bought a 07 Bambi that ICBC had sold as salvage, it had more damage but the trailer was only a couple months old and at that time it listed @ $60,000 cdn. I was able to fix it in my driveway for about $4500 in Parts and a couple of weeks of my own labor. If you are handy and up for a challenge I can give you some idea of what parts to order and how to go about the repair. I live in Tsawwassen so I am not too far away let me know if I can help.
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1986 29' Sovereign
Delta , British Columbia
Andy,

Here are the pictures of the inside. It is dented inside the cabniet of the end cap but the phot doesn't show very well because of the wood grain inside the cabinet. The rear window did not shatter and there doesn't seem to be any leaks. There are a couple of ripples in the ceiling just above the bed. I hope you can see from the pictures.

Rod
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Crunch 1 sm.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	73670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crunch 2 sm.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	73671  

Name:	Crunch 3 sm.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	73672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crunch 7 sm.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	73673  

72Blazerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy,

Here are the pictures of the inside. It is dented inside the cabniet of the end cap but the phot doesn't show very well because of the wood grain inside the cabinet. The rear window did not shatter and there doesn't seem to be any leaks. There are a couple of ripples in the ceiling just above the bed. I hope you can see from the pictures.

Rod
Now the cost to repair is close to $10,000.00, if not more.

Severe structural damage is obvious.

If you wish to repair the trailer, you must take it to a dealer that has the qualifications necessary, "AND" who can go to bat for you with your insurance comany, so that they don't total the trailer.

If you have ceiling damage above the bed, more than likely the roof is damaged as well.

Andy
Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Not to add insult to injury, but I don't ever have guest's that I think are worth that much money. Sorry for the problems with the AS. I hope you can get it repaired to your satisfaction.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Oh man I am so sorry to see that damage. Andy's estimates are consistent with insurance work I had done on mine 4 years ago which included multiple panels in front, sun shade, and rock guards. Basically similar. That was about 6500 but I had *NO* structural damage just a bunch of small dents. Good luck.
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Rod, check your p.m.
Marc
Old 03-06-2009, 04:35 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Bloomfield Hills , Michigan
Do you have a update?

Rod as someone has done the same thing I was wondering if you had a update. I know you pain.

John

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f381...-it-33855.html

1989 Excella 29
Hensley Arrow
Garmin Nuvi 50

AIR 4580 - Join Date: 03-10-2004
breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote