Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Is this the Sheet I would need? I am easily finding the 2024 in .032, but finding it in the alclad seems to make it tougher.

ALFLR015942024 T3 SHT CLAD .032 48 144T30.032n/a48144n/an/an/aClad

Old 10-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #16
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
that is correct. Go to Airparts INC. they will take great care of you...

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Studioman...
Here is my take on Olympic rivets... They are uses by both Airstream dealers and other shops to replace panels, in my opinion they use them for the very reason that you want to! You don't have to remove interior and interior skins to instal them. HOWEVER!!! they are not a structural rivet period, end of story.... Your panel that needs replacement is very important panel to the structural rigidity of your entire trailer and carries with it most of the strength of the trailer, so in your case olympic rivets would not be sufficient for the stress the trailer will encounter. If it was one end cap segment or patch or panel that did not bare such stress then I would say "yes" olympic rivets could be used however in my opinion they should really never be uses due to the lack of strength and the leak issues with such a style of rivet. You should alway use buck rivet when you can. I know this is not what you would like to hear but it is the preferred method to replace a critical panel like the one on your trailer.
So that brings us to your second question of Lay-over.... That is when you do not remove the damaged panel, and grind down all the rivet heads flat and apply a new panel directly over the damaged panel. Airstream dealers and restoration shops do this for the same reason they use olympic rivet... they don't want to buck rivet the new panel on correctly. The thought behind this method is the first skin acts like the structural panel and the overlay acts like the cosmetic panel, best of both worlds right??? Well WRONG!!! The two panels trap water and corrode from the inside out and the fact you shave the rivet heads off really loses the structural strength you think you are saving, not to mention the seams are twice as thick and look funky (in a bad way). Again both methods are not the preferred way and is a way to cut corners and make the panels look way better than they actually are.
I would also point out the time it takes to repair your severely damaged panel you can replace it. I base this however on having both the interior and interior panels out of course, witch if it was my trailer of this vintage I would want to take them out and make sure the floor rot and frame rust or other damage does not exists...
Your last question about belly pan thickness like I stated in my post above can be .020, .025. or .032 all thickness are found in your vintage of trailer and based on availability to the factory back then... Most trailers have .025 that I run across however I believe this is too thin and strength that is gained over the weight that is gained form .025 to .035 and even .040 is very minimal. My experience is the thicker that belly pan the easier it is to form the compound shapes and reduces creases and dents that form easily on .025. Hope that helps.
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:17 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Whoa!!! Todd made the following statement; "Airstream dealers and restoration shops do this for the same reason they use olympic rivet... they don't want to buck rivet the new panel on correctly." Not at my shop! I never have, nor never will do that sort of repair. I do have a bin of olympic rivets in my shop however. The bin is labeled 'last resort'.

It has been my experience that the thicker the belly material the better it is to work. I used .025 on a job or two then got tired of making weird dents and creases as I tried to work it. I switched to .040 and never have issues now.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have a 2012, so I probably should stick a sock in it. (However I type with my fingers not my mouth so fptoo!) I recently had a rear roadside panel replaced. Went to a Mickey D's to get a coke, came out and someone had driven into my trailer, then left the scene.

I took it to the mothership to have it repaired. They quoted me a price of $500 extra for a buck riveted repair - which I elected to have done. At Jackson Center they really don't mind if you come in and watch the techs as long as you don't make a pest of yourself. The repair job was bigger on the inside than I'd expected. It hought they'd remove one panel, but they had to undo parts of three more to get to the side seam - and then there was the tail light and running lights which had to be rewired, plus the extra scare light that the prior owner had added. (Four scare lights, go figure?!) The repair is absolutely undistinguishable from the original panel. No leaks, no sweat, no problems.

Do it right the first time. You'll be happier in the long run. Now if I wanted to learn to do it myself I could become a "mother bucker". Satan made me say it.

Paula
Old 10-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Frank,
My statement was not referring to your shop, Your shop based on your blog and posts on this forum is one of the few shops in my opinion that does great work... I would send one of my own trailers to get work done at your shop! If you think my olympic rivet post was batching your shop with other(s) my apologies. Then again we are both early 1960 snobs so we know the only way to fix one of these "kids" is to fix them the right way....
Instagram #Vinstream
Old 10-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Opinions on fixing this dent

Not all folks feel a responsibility to bring a trailer back to stock form, nor is it always in a persons interest to "do it right".

I could have replaced all of my damaged panels, but in the interest of time, money, and practicality it wasn't worth it to me.

My trailer is safe, it is sound, and I was using it within four months of purchase.

"Doing it right" has different meaning for different use and different people.

There are plenty of stock trailers out there yet that can demonstrate just what these trailers looked like as they were mass produced, If these were truly rare an owner might owe it to posterity to maintain stock trailer but as it is I see no pressing need to preserve every Airstream in stock appearance and function.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:09 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring here also. The repair vs replace debate has been going on for years. The real truth to the matter is is that in almost all applications it is faster and easier to replace a panel then it is to repair one for damage of the size pictured. Todd and Frank are both right on with their advice. I did autobody repair in the early 70's before I went into the USAF and started my career in aircraft structural repair. The same techniks used in steel do not translate to the tempered aluminum used on aircraft and early Airstreams.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #23
GlamperGirl

This thread just answered my internal dent debate. I am replacing the panels
Old 12-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
You will be glad! Lets us know if you need any help?!
Instagram #Vinstream
Old 12-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Heyfield , Victoria
Great info here! I too am replacing damaged panels, and feel like I'm iClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418701836.097473.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	905.4 KB
ID:	228686Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418701869.804557.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	687.7 KB
ID:	228687n good hands (although I'm trying to outsource the job as it's covered by insurance). Airstream Australia have been not much help and I'm pretty sure they just don't want to do it, so I've contacted a local metal fabricator to take a look. Wish me luck! Also, and tips on straitening bent window frames? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418701738.734353.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	880.8 KB
ID:	228685
Old 12-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #26
GlamperGirl

And how do we polish them too Amy? Mine are a mess.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #27
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I can recommend a good repair shop in New York. You can make it a vacation adventure and bring your AS for repairs

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:32 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Heyfield , Victoria
Haha, after my first shipping experience...no thanks!!