Old 03-11-2007, 08:01 PM   #1

Olympic Shaved Rivets vs. Buck Rivets with Dimple

I have a 1952 Boles Aero (I know, this is an Airstream forum but you guys have all the knowledge!!). I need to do some riveting and a Boles Aero has the solid rivets with a little dimple in the center of the head (looks kind off like a center punch mark). I would prefer to ues Olympic rivets, but shaved they don't match the dimple head I have. Has anyone ever done this and figured out how to put the matching dimple in the head?

Thanks,
Marlyn
MN

Old 03-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Site Team

, Minnesota
The dimple indicates the original rivet was a hardened rivet. You could easily duplicate it (after shaving) with a not-too-sharp center punch. Don't punch to hard or you will push out the stem, just push by hand.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Marlyn,
How many rivets are you planning on replacing? If it is going to be more than say about 50 I would go ahead an do the bucked rivets. Otherwise use the Olympics and dimple the head. FWIW the Olympics don't have as much holding power as the bucked rivets...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Those rivets are an "AD" rivet, 2117 aluminum. If you post a picture I could tell you if it is available and the MS part number. Several different protruding head styles were used in the 50's before things settled down to the common protruding universal head used today p/n MS20470ADX-X. IMHO solid shank rivets are always better then blind.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #5
Site Team

, Minnesota
Marlyn,

If you are near Mpls, you can probably borrow a rivet shaver when the time comes to shave the rivets. It's stored in a secret location near the western suburbs.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
If you are near Mpls, you can probably borrow a rivet shaver when the time comes to shave the rivets. It's stored in a secret location near the western suburbs.
Hey, we need one of those secretly hidden shavers out here in the New England area! I have to stop loaning mine out to everyone!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #7

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to post a photo of my current rivets soon to see what might match it. I think I'll probably just go with solid rivets instread of blind since I think I'll be doing quite a bit of riveting. While I have the interior removed, I really should replace almost the entire curb side due to some dents, serious scratches, and some holes drilled in it. On the street side, the skin is very good except for a small 2" tear. Has anyone used HTS-2000 to braze aluminum to repair a tear instead of doing a patch?

Thanks,
Marlyn
MN
Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Use the Olympic rivets, there easy to use and they only require one person to put in. The bucking rivets take time to learn how to install correcty, and if the head of the impact gun jumps off the head you will damage the metal. Olympic rivets work just fine and if you have a good seal on the panel laps the panels will never move. I have done the entire outside, every panel replaced with Olympic rivets and not a panel has moved one bit. If everything is tight on the panels and the interior is tight to the walls and frame work then you got nothing to worry about. Go the easier way and use the Olympics. You can get them from Inland RV. Also it is really hard to repair a panel without, in most cases causing more damage. it's not that hard to replace the whole panel, It can take a little time, but in the end it's well worth it. T2024T3 0.32 is selling in my area for about $175.00 sheet for a 4x12.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
Site Team

, Minnesota
Marlyn,

I think bucked rivets are a much nicer solution if you need to do a whole sheet. They take a lot less time to put in, you don't need to shave them, and you can run them closer to ribs without having to worry about the legs hitting something.

You do need to have access to both sides though. Give me a call. I have a bunch of Clecos you can borrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newsheet.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	34006