Old 01-28-2007, 08:06 AM   #15
Always Airstreaming!
2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Originally Posted by Thealt
I suppose if I had to replace more than 100 rivets I would reconsider after trying a workaround, but lucky I don't have that many to replace. Knock on Aluminum. Maybe we should have a rivet shaving party. Bring the tool and we will all bring the food Times like this though, wish I had a metal lathe to construct my own tool. I'm still suffering from sticker shock. When I first saw that thing, I thought " the drill is included right?"
Still, I'm an enabler too; have a shop full of tools, just not that one.
Hey -- any excuse for an AS party. I'll supply the shaver and rivits and drills, you guys supply the beer!

J. Rick Cipot
Sandi Gould
NEU New England Unit
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:01 AM   #16
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
There is nothng like a rivet shaver to shave Olympic rivets. Everything else either takes forever, delivers questionable results, or just plain does not work, or in some cases I have seen, does more damage than good.
The rivet shaver, once set up, makes Olympic rivets look just like bucked rivets, and does not damage the skin surrounding the rivet.
I have set quite a few of these Olympic rivets, and shaved them, eventually with a rivet shaver. Comparing the makeshift method to the rivet shaver, the shaver always wins, hands down.
The purchase price, although steep, pales in comparison on the money you can save in repairs. One trip to a RV shop for metal repair can cost you a multiple of the price of the shaver.

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:41 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Chris, we really wanted to go to the Newport rally. Unfortunately, we have to stay in toen that weekend. We'll make it to a rally yet. South Beach State Park is our favorite beach park in Oregon. We used to go there regularly when we lived in Eugene. And camp so close to Rogue Brewery!

I have decided to buy the bulb type rivet shaver. But not until I have to. With many other expenses before June, ie. A/C, Zip-Dee, etc. I am going to try to have an RV repair center shave them for me on this go around. Plan is to set all the rivets at this time and pay someone to shave them. Maybe this will work, maybe I'll have to get one from VTS sooner than I want.

r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote