Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
I bet they didn't have access to the back side to buck rivets, did they? Cause if they did, that's what they would have done. There's a reason they don't construct new trailers with Olympics. Bucks are better if they're an option.
Of course bucked is better, depending upon skill, but insurance isn't going to pay for, and I don't want, the entire bedroom, vinyl ceiling, mouse fur, and interior panels removed. That's way more potential trouble than the potential of having to use captain tolley's to seal a few rivets.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Of course bucked is better, depending upon skill, but insurance isn't going to pay for, and I don't want, the entire bedroom, vinyl ceiling, mouse fur, and interior panels removed. That's way more potential trouble than the potential of having to use captain tolley's to seal a few rivets.
Agreed that was probably the best call for a nonstructural repair with no access to the back side. My point was just regarding the original post's question about using olympics vs bucks.

And my trailer is a 74. Who knows how long those Olympics were in there or who put them in. But every single one leaked, and I drilled them all out and replaced them with wet bucked rivets.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
And I've had a few loose, crooked, and ill fitting bucked rivets from original build. All could be sealed, rather than replaced. I think the real question is strength. I think that's why we see some double skinned structural panel repairs. I don't like that, and would struggle with the decisions surrounding that kind of panel repair.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-28-2018, 03:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Olympics are not for structural repair only patches & roof vents. This has been repeated many times on the VAP.
If they were as strong as bucked rivets Boeing would use them to put the planes together.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:56 AM   #25
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
no doubt bucked rivets are structurally stronger than olympics, but I question that they are more leak proof than properly installed olympic rivets. Those that have disassembled factory installed panels, may have noticed that in many cases NO sealer was used on the panel overlaps (see picture below), it was only smeared on the seam from the inside after assembly.
As I mentioned before, the use of washers with olympic rivets will cause them to leak after the washers disintegrate from the UV rays. The proper use of vulkem will last a lifetime-leakfree.
Most people hate to use vulkem, because its so hard and messy to work with, so the olympic rivets get the blame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sealantonback.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	303143   Click image for larger version

Name:	rivetbacks.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	303144  

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Girl View Post
Olympics are not for structural repair only patches & roof vents. This has been repeated many times on the VAP.
If they were as strong as bucked rivets Boeing would use them to put the planes together.
I would include upper end caps on that list. They have no ribs nor bows which are part of the structure. Lower end CAP panels probably contribute a little, but not a lot. At least they are double skinned, which is where a lot of the strength comes from.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
On newer ASes, with much larger frames, and far fewer rivets, I think I might use Olympics on structural panels and double (at least) the number of rivets holding on the panel, rather than gutting the interior.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
In OPs situation, I'd go bucked for sure.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
olympic rivet appearance

Boeing is now using a two piece inside-out rivet with a retainer sleeve that is put on with a tool that grabs the rivet shank, pulls and squeezes the retainer, and pops the shank off. Looks weird, sounds like a giant pop rivet, and they put major structural part s together with them. Progress, and expensive tooling to gain speed...works every bit as good as a bucked rivet.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:08 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Boeing is now using a two piece inside-out rivet with a retainer sleeve that is put on with a tool that grabs the rivet shank, pulls and squeezes the retainer, and pops the shank off. Looks weird, sounds like a giant pop rivet, and they put major structural part s together with them. Progress, and expensive tooling to gain speed...works every bit as good as a bucked rivet.
Did not know that. Interesting.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I sure wish someone would tool up a blind "pop" rivet where the mandrel would break above the surface of the rivet head. Then we could shave them round.

A friend in Minnesota fixes pontoon boats. He has a "marine" pop rivet that completely encapsulates the mandrel on the inserted end so water can't get in. Kinda looks like a small .22 rife shell. But the mandrel still breaks inside the rivet, not above it.

No offense to Olympic rivets, but they were designed as a decorative rivet for assembling softer items than aluminum, maybe like luan. Their little legs help prevent crushing the material or pull throughs. The tri fold rivets aren't as strong as a pop rivet, which aren't as strong as a solid bucked rivet. At least that's what I read in a couple of rivet sites on the internet.

We Airstreamers use Olympic tri fold rivets because they save a ton of time. We just need a better alternative in my view.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote