Old 12-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

2006 28' Safari S/O
Aurora , Colorado
Olympic or Buck rivets

I am replacing the lower end cap and lower body on my Airstream. The rivets the dealer sent are smaller than the existing ones. Do I need "buck " ? rivets (no hole on finished product) or olympic rivets, and shave the head down?

Joe

Old 12-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
It depends, are you removing the inner wall? If not use Olympics. In order to buck solid rivets you will need to gain access to the inner panel. If you use Olympics you will need to use plenty of non silicone sealant (Trempro available on VTS) and a rivet shaver. They are pricey but if you are doing that many Olympics you will need it. I am bucking rivets on my rear panel replacement now you can check it on my restration thread. I will also be doing some olympics on a couple non structural spots. I will post pics later. Good Luck!

Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would use buck rivets because they are stronger and less likely to leak. You do need to get access to both sides and you have to have someone to buck the rivets. I would practice with buck rivets before trying it on new panels.

Perry
Old 12-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I would use buck rivets because they are stronger and less likely to leak. You do need to get access to both sides and you have to have someone to buck the rivets. I would practice with buck rivets before trying it on new panels.

Perry
Perry.

Ask how many owners of Airstreams, have had water leaks.

Typically they do. And from what rivet?

Buck rivets.

Anything improperly installed or worn, can leak.

Buck rivets leak all the time, when not installed properly, along with not being sealed properly. The same thing can happen with Olympic rivets, when the hole size is wrong, improper sealing and improper installation.

I have used Olympics since they came out, as well as I help design them, many many years ago.

They replaced the split rivet, which replaced the explosive rivets that were made by Dupont.

I have "yet" to have a water leak from an Olympic, unless the coach was damaged.

Easy as pie to make them very secure.

Andy
Old 12-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well yes if not done right then Olympic rivets are better. I was on the roof of mine and there were places where rivets were overlaping and somes you could see holes that were oblong and you could see the edge of the hole under the rivet head. The Olympic rivets used to mount my awnig brackets were not done right at all. A benefit of taking the inside panels off is you can seal the seam from the inside with something better than that white putty stuff Airstream uses. You can also check for leaks afterwards. Since he is working on the lower sections he might just be able to take the inner skins off without too much hassle.

Perry
Old 12-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Well yes if not done right then Olympic rivets are better. I was on the roof of mine and there were places where rivets were overlaping and somes you could see holes that were oblong and you could see the edge of the hole under the rivet head. The Olympic rivets used to mount my awnig brackets were not done right at all. A benefit of taking the inside panels off is you can seal the seam from the inside with something better than that white putty stuff Airstream uses. You can also check for leaks afterwards. Since he is working on the lower sections he might just be able to take the inner skins off without too much hassle.

Perry
I agree with your thoughts.

The problem is usually the same on a used coach.

What in the world was someone before me thinking???

Mechanics are easy to find in the dictionary, but publically, they are getting rather scarce. At least the real good ones, are harder and harder, to find.

Andy
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Why do you think a lot of us do our own work? You should see the water heater that the PO had installed in my trailer. There are three different types of hoses none of which are secured properly. All of them have hose clamps instead of the proper pinch clamps. PB, PEX, and Tygon all with hose clamps.

Perry
Old 09-01-2015, 11:59 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Bump ...
Old 09-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I assume you are bumping in order to get more opinions to this old thread? I had JC replace 2 rear curved panels 4 years ago after I backed into the garage. No leaks to date, nor any rivet concerns whatsoever.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
More like I think this is good information some of which also comes from a guy with many years of experience working on ASs - particularly post #4.
But the more the merrier.
Our AS is 40 years old. Not sure that I'll be around 40 years from now to see if the repairs I make lasted, or if the future owner will scratch his or her head wondering "what were they thinking?"
Old 09-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Hey man, put whatever rivets you want in your trailer. You are really just beating the horse carcass now.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
ditto ...
Old 09-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well, I can tell you JC used Olympics on two of my damaged panels 4 years ago. No leaks. Not so with several bucked rivets leakers I have found.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Now who's beatin' the horse?