Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Nutplates etc.

I have been asked by several members off the Forums about nutplates that are used in the aviation community.

Nutplates are used in areas that access to the backside of the screw or bolt is difficult or completely blind.

Nutplates are generally riveted to either skin or underlying structure where
(at least in the Airstream world) a sheet metal screw would be used. Nutplates are self-locking so there is no concern about the machine screw used vibrating loose.

There are many sizes and configurations available so it would be
best if you want to incorporate their use to pick one basic size and configuration. The most popular size is the -3 which be a #10 or 3/16" screw or bolt. Nutplates generally are always fine thread so a -3 would be a 10-32 with 10 being the diameter (3/16) and with 32 threads per inch.

I have attached a selection chart and the most popular #10 floating nutplate would be part number MS21059-3. This is what I use about 99% of the time.

The hole size will be #10 for the bolt hole and #40 for the rivet holes. The rivet holes will have to be countersunk for flush rivets. You can either use solid rivets which the p/n would be MS426AD3-X. X= length which would be a 3 on thin skin. Blind rivets are also available and I have attaches a chart for this too.

The best way to drill the holes would be with a nutplate jig that will properly space the rivet holes, which I have attached a picture of for the MS21059-3 nutplate. Try always to use the same nutplate as these jigs will get expensive if you want to use all different sizes and configurations. Each jig will only work for one style and size of nutplates
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	518-dws.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	185812  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nutplates.pdf (931.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: pdf rivetsnutplate.pdf (523.4 KB, 76 views)

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Nut clips

Another option for belly pans etc. would be a nutclip. It just clips onto a flange and is an easy way to give yourself an easy way to bolt on your belly pan or access door
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nutclips.pdf (169.9 KB, 71 views)

Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I have been asked by several members off the Forums about nutplates that are used in the aviation community.

Nutplates are used in areas that access to the backside of the screw or bolt is difficult or completely blind.

Nutplates are generally riveted to either skin or underlying structure where
(at least in the Airstream world) a sheet metal screw would be used. Nutplates are self-locking so there is no concern about the machine screw used vibrating loose.

There are many sizes and configurations available so it would be
best if you want to incorporate their use to pick one basic size and configuration. The most popular size is the -3 which be a #10 or 3/16" screw or bolt. Nutplates generally are always fine thread so a -3 would be a 10-32 with 10 being the diameter (3/16) and with 32 threads per inch.

I have attached a selection chart and the most popular #10 floating nutplate would be part number MS21059-3. This is what I use about 99% of the time.

The hole size will be #10 for the bolt hole and #40 for the rivet holes. The rivet holes will have to be countersunk for flush rivets. You can either use solid rivets which the p/n would be MS426AD3-X. X= length which would be a 3 on thin skin. Blind rivets are also available and I have attaches a chart for this too.

The best way to drill the holes would be with a nutplate jig that will properly space the rivet holes, which I have attached a picture of for the MS21059-3 nutplate. Try always to use the same nutplate as these jigs will get expensive if you want to use all different sizes and configurations. Each jig will only work for one style and size of nutplates
here is the p/n for the nutplate jig
Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Great information Kip, thanks.
Missed you in Albuquerque this year.
tim
Old 05-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Thanks Aerowood! Great info
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrunner View Post
Great information Kip, thanks.
Missed you in Albuquerque this year.
tim
I missed it too, but an 8 hour drive with one arm in a sling taking top quality pain killers was not
a smart thing to do.