Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2003, 07:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Now this is a BAD repair job!

I have learned more about my MH in the last three months than the first two years! Spending two months in it and then having it at the house has been interesting! I have been going inside during and after rains to work on leaks. I've been on the roof before but this mess caught my eye today as the probable source for my water leaks. I'm assuming I'll have to remove it and replace it with a patch of aluminum, seal it with the Vulcum stuff and rivet it on with Olympic rivets? I'm also guessing this was the original roof antenna location.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as_roof2b.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	4252  
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 07:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Here's a larger view of the area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	as_roof1b.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	4253  
Old 12-23-2003, 07:22 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Fred,

That looks bad! Some one did not have love for Jellybean like you do.

If it were me I would patch it for now and save the pennies to replace the antenna and do the job once. The smaller spot is factory. There should be a 2x2 plate with 4 screws under all that sealant. This is where the antenna down-lead entered the coach originally.

If you replace it with a bat wing, the lead will go thru the base plate. The base plate should cover the horrid hole that you see now. I know you love that antenna, but all the parts are NLA.

Once you open up the spot to fix the leak right you are going to want to finish the job. I have some excess aluminum skin from a mutual friend If you can let me now a size I can get you a patch to cover where you take out the old antenna.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Well I covered the uglyness with heavy plastic and aluminum tape before a monsoon that came through here yesterday. It apprears that this spot is not the primary leak.

I now suspect, as I have for some time, that the AC units are leaking somehow. How common is it for old AC's to leak either through the unit and drip pan or under the assembly? These are the original units (18 years old).
Old 12-30-2003, 04:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
can and do leak. check the mounting bolts and make sure they are tight you will probably find the bolts are loose. the cow pile you have on top is probably not the source for your leak. but i would fix it . the rv repair guys think it is ok to make a mess if you cant see it.
i have found that the rivets will leak . i took a can of plasticote and sprayed the the rivet heads and my leak went away. but that will be a small leak in a really heavy down pour
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 06:43 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Looks like the same guy that did yours did mine Some PO added a Dish attenna to my AS and used freakin steel pop rivets and didn't have the decency to caulk them, probably at least one of the sources of a persistent leak.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

That was one butt ugly patch. Can't do it right the first time, but always have time to do it a second time. What were they thinking?
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote