Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2010, 04:38 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 8' Yoder Toter , Jeffersonville Vermont
newbie question about skin damage

I am looking at buying a 30 ft classic. it has a pattern of dents in a couple of places that has me leary. would anyone know if this is serious.Or am i just being nervous. It looks as though it is along a rib.could this rig have twisted??

varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Varmonter post the pics as attachments using the little paper clip symbol in the toolbar. that way we can expand the pics and have a good look.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:54 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Good Morning!

As well as I can see the damage you are talking about, it will cost seceral thousand dollars to repair it like new. At least one panel will have to be replaced. This Airstream should be priced accordingly. That being said, it appears to be a dent that you might be able to live with. For the right price, you may want to consider just buying it and going camping.

We will need to see pictures that we can enlarge to give a better assessment.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

i am going to see this trailer hopefully in the next few days.I will ask the seller if i can take better pics.My intent on this post was to try to illicit responses from ..the pics i have.. and what you may think caused this .The dents (to me)
appear to be along the ribs.Being a newbie but also understanding physics to some point..this does not appear to be dents caused by rocks hail etc but more of a structural issue..What are your thoughts..Again i bow to higher knowledge and experience from folks that have seen/dealt with these issues before.
This is a 2002 classic 30 ft with SO ..loaded..seller is asking $39,700.00.
Trailer has nice interior(from pics )queen bed.solar etc Thing is suppose to have all the options for that year.So the skin damage would not bother me that much if it where caused by kids playing soccer.But because it appears structural in nature it concerns me..what'a y'all think..

to me I am a bit leary.Has anyone seen Or had diagnosed simalar
Old 09-22-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
I don't know. From the photos, they're two lines of bucked rivets level with the edges of a lowered awning. This seems to be accentuating them.

Normally, these rivets can cause slight dimples as the aluminum is pinched into the butyl tape, which has a little give. Check the interior rivets, which are not quite as strong as the exterior rivets - if there's some structural issue, it may well show up more clearly inside than outside in some cases.

It's only if the dimples a deeper, and others here can testify what a normal dimple is, would I be particularly worried. This is within the realm of what I have seen on healthy trailers, but it is undesirable to some.

I am not an expert. Opinions and feelings vary.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

thanks dave i will do that..