Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Newbie Considers Skin Replacement on 67

Hi, Airstream Brainiacs! I'm seriously looking to buy my first Airstream (1967 Overlander International). All looks very sweet, except for a couple of ugly cave-ins left from a low tree branch. As a retired paint & body man, I'm thinking I can replace those two skins. Are factory-spec skins still available for a 67 from Inland RV? What's an estimated cost for materials on a project like this? Want to be sure I'm not getting in over my head, and I'm really impressed with all the surplus intelligence on this forum. So, if you can spare some advice, I'd be very appreciative!
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
There are several threads that detail panel replacement better than I can summarize here, but a few key points to keep in mind while deciding inlcude:

- Factory-spec panels are available from ... the Factory.
- Be sure to support the frame extremely well before removing the panel or the new panel (with rivet holes you match-drilled to the old panel) will not align.
- The whole trailer will have to be polished after panel replacement or people will point, and say what a good job you did replacing those particular panels.

Project Vintage Thunder's blog on Airstreamlife.com may include a price for your panels - They used one or two in the interior.

Good luck,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:55 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
FACTORY Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
There are several threads that detail panel replacement better than I can summarize here, but a few key points to keep in mind while deciding inlcude:

- Factory-spec panels are available from ... the Factory.
- Be sure to support the frame extremely well before removing the panel or the new panel (with rivet holes you match-drilled to the old panel) will not align.
- The whole trailer will have to be polished after panel replacement or people will point, and say what a good job you did replacing those particular panels.

Project Vintage Thunder's blog on Airstreamlife.com may include a price for your panels - They used one or two in the interior.

Good luck,
Tom
Thanks for the info, Tom. You've got a very nice looking 67! Congrats. How do I contact the "factory"...through a dealer? I'm only 10 minutes away from an AS dealer, but was concerned about high mark-ups. Any advice here? Also, you mentioned supporting the frame before removing panels. I have two, maybe three panels on the very top (1 center, 2 on right of center) that MAY be replaced. How do I support the frame there?

I savvy polishing. I'm a retired paint & body repairman and have full intentions of polishing once the project gets that far.

One other thing: Awning. Did yours come with the awning? My doesn't have one. Any leads on a good used awning for this 67? Thanks.

The rest of you feel free to jump in here and help Tom out with this "special needs newbie."
Old 01-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb
How do I contact the "factory"...through a dealer? I'm only 10 minutes away from an AS dealer, but was concerned about high mark-ups. Any advice here? Also, you mentioned supporting the frame before removing panels. I have two, maybe three panels on the very top (1 center, 2 on right of center) that MAY be replaced.
Can you post some pictures?
Straight skin sheets are easy to come by and replace. Compound curved segments are another story altogether. Sounds like you need the curved panels.
Sometimes even deep dents can be pushed out, sometimes not, depends on each individual case.
If the damage is bad, and you have not bought the trailer yet, then I suggest you pass on it. You sem to be concerned with the price of segments, and the curved ones are hard to come by and not cheap, egardless of where you buy them from.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Posting Pics of Skins

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Can you post some pictures?
Straight skin sheets are easy to come by and replace. Compound curved segments are another story altogether. Sounds like you need the curved panels.
Sometimes even deep dents can be pushed out, sometimes not, depends on each individual case.
If the damage is bad, and you have not bought the trailer yet, then I suggest you pass on it. You sem to be concerned with the price of segments, and the curved ones are hard to come by and not cheap, egardless of where you buy them from.
Mr. UWE...First of all, let me say, "I'm honored to have someone of your caliber respond to my post!" I stayed up two nights reading your posts of your rebuilding of your 63. What an education you've given all of us. Thanks!!!

Now, about getting pics to you...how is that done? After seeing your posts I KNOW you get tell me.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
You have to go through a dealer,I've been buying two panels since the first of Sept and they were delivered twice, the first time with damage the second time in mid December. Mine were curved panels at roughly $450 $500 each.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb
Now, about getting pics to you...how is that done? After seeing your posts I KNOW you get tell me.
When you ceate a post, you can manage atachments at the bottom of the posting interface.
the pictures must be no larger than 300kb, and 1024x1024 pixels maximum.
Your digital images will likely have to be resized to post properly. You might be able to do this from your camera software. I use photoshop for resizing and editing photos.
I am thinking that others might be able to chime in and give you advice as well once you post photos of the damaged areas.
Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Pic of My Dents (Trial)

This is my first attempt at posting pics. Not sure if it matches your requirements, Uwe, but hopefully it will work anyway. This photo was taken by the PO (heavy on the "previous" since I bought it home today!). Looks like I'm the proud owner of these here dents! I'll get a better picture from different angles tomorrow. Think these panels need to be replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 ext dents.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	17448  
Old 01-06-2006, 06:56 PM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Maybe not.
Try pulling on the center of each dent with a suction cup dent puller. I had a huge dent in the rear curved egment of my tradewind, and it all but disappeared after pulling it out.
If creases remain, and if they bother you, then you will have to replace the segments.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:58 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
My plan is to do as you suggest first: Using a good suction cup, get a good grip in the middle of each dent, say another prayer, then PULL!!!!!! All the while, NOT falling off the ladder. I'm expecting several pulls from differing angles. I'm pretty sure the larger, shallower (is that a word?) one will be the easiest. My bigger concern is the sharper dent in that seam.

Option Two is remove the interior panel(s) and work from the inside to push things outward. I was studying the riveting of the interior end piece (headliner?). That's alot of rivets and it's all one piece, did you know that? Don't worry. I'll be checking in with you all to counsel me should it ever come to that.

Final Option is to replace the panels. (yuk) May have to live with a couple of "beauty marks"...who knows?

Pics Tomorrow? We'll see!
Old 01-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Hi,

look at http://wueko.wuerth.com/
Part # 0691500111. It"s called dent-repair-system.
It works with hot-glue sticks and you can pull out dents without reaching the backside.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
English, Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue
Hi,

look at http://wueko.wuerth.com/
Part # 0691500111. It"s called dent-repair-system.
It works with hot-glue sticks and you can pull out dents without reaching the backside.
I checked out this overseas site and clicked on the option for ENGLISH. That helped get me to the product, but once there, the description of the product is in a foreign language. Any ideas for English-only students like me? (Correction: That's TEXAN English...if you know what I mean!)
Old 01-17-2006, 12:10 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Hello,

try this link:
http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/l...th=06.0181.jpg

Greetings from germany

Big Blue

P.S. I think texan english is like bavarian german.