Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
sierrajb's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 164
Newbie Considers Skin Replacement on 67

Hi, Airstream Brainiacs! I'm seriously looking to buy my first Airstream (1967 Overlander International). All looks very sweet, except for a couple of ugly cave-ins left from a low tree branch. As a retired paint & body man, I'm thinking I can replace those two skins. Are factory-spec skins still available for a 67 from Inland RV? What's an estimated cost for materials on a project like this? Want to be sure I'm not getting in over my head, and I'm really impressed with all the surplus intelligence on this forum. So, if you can spare some advice, I'd be very appreciative!
__________________

__________________
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
TomW's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,918
Images: 2
There are several threads that detail panel replacement better than I can summarize here, but a few key points to keep in mind while deciding inlcude:

- Factory-spec panels are available from ... the Factory.
- Be sure to support the frame extremely well before removing the panel or the new panel (with rivet holes you match-drilled to the old panel) will not align.
- The whole trailer will have to be polished after panel replacement or people will point, and say what a good job you did replacing those particular panels.

Project Vintage Thunder's blog on Airstreamlife.com may include a price for your panels - They used one or two in the interior.

Good luck,
Tom
__________________

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
sierrajb's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 164
FACTORY Skins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
There are several threads that detail panel replacement better than I can summarize here, but a few key points to keep in mind while deciding inlcude:

- Factory-spec panels are available from ... the Factory.
- Be sure to support the frame extremely well before removing the panel or the new panel (with rivet holes you match-drilled to the old panel) will not align.
- The whole trailer will have to be polished after panel replacement or people will point, and say what a good job you did replacing those particular panels.

Project Vintage Thunder's blog on Airstreamlife.com may include a price for your panels - They used one or two in the interior.

Good luck,
Tom
Thanks for the info, Tom. You've got a very nice looking 67! Congrats. How do I contact the "factory"...through a dealer? I'm only 10 minutes away from an AS dealer, but was concerned about high mark-ups. Any advice here? Also, you mentioned supporting the frame before removing panels. I have two, maybe three panels on the very top (1 center, 2 on right of center) that MAY be replaced. How do I support the frame there?

I savvy polishing. I'm a retired paint & body repairman and have full intentions of polishing once the project gets that far.

One other thing: Awning. Did yours come with the awning? My doesn't have one. Any leads on a good used awning for this 67? Thanks.

The rest of you feel free to jump in here and help Tom out with this "special needs newbie."
__________________
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb
How do I contact the "factory"...through a dealer? I'm only 10 minutes away from an AS dealer, but was concerned about high mark-ups. Any advice here? Also, you mentioned supporting the frame before removing panels. I have two, maybe three panels on the very top (1 center, 2 on right of center) that MAY be replaced.
Can you post some pictures?
Straight skin sheets are easy to come by and replace. Compound curved segments are another story altogether. Sounds like you need the curved panels.
Sometimes even deep dents can be pushed out, sometimes not, depends on each individual case.
If the damage is bad, and you have not bought the trailer yet, then I suggest you pass on it. You sem to be concerned with the price of segments, and the curved ones are hard to come by and not cheap, egardless of where you buy them from.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
sierrajb's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 164
Posting Pics of Skins

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Can you post some pictures?
Straight skin sheets are easy to come by and replace. Compound curved segments are another story altogether. Sounds like you need the curved panels.
Sometimes even deep dents can be pushed out, sometimes not, depends on each individual case.
If the damage is bad, and you have not bought the trailer yet, then I suggest you pass on it. You sem to be concerned with the price of segments, and the curved ones are hard to come by and not cheap, egardless of where you buy them from.
Mr. UWE...First of all, let me say, "I'm honored to have someone of your caliber respond to my post!" I stayed up two nights reading your posts of your rebuilding of your 63. What an education you've given all of us. Thanks!!!

Now, about getting pics to you...how is that done? After seeing your posts I KNOW you get tell me.
__________________
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
Tarheel's Avatar
 
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,010
Images: 21
You have to go through a dealer,I've been buying two panels since the first of Sept and they were delivered twice, the first time with damage the second time in mid December. Mine were curved panels at roughly $450 $500 each.
__________________
Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrajb
Now, about getting pics to you...how is that done? After seeing your posts I KNOW you get tell me.
When you ceate a post, you can manage atachments at the bottom of the posting interface.
the pictures must be no larger than 300kb, and 1024x1024 pixels maximum.
Your digital images will likely have to be resized to post properly. You might be able to do this from your camera software. I use photoshop for resizing and editing photos.
I am thinking that others might be able to chime in and give you advice as well once you post photos of the damaged areas.
Good Luck!
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
sierrajb's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 164
Pic of My Dents (Trial)

This is my first attempt at posting pics. Not sure if it matches your requirements, Uwe, but hopefully it will work anyway. This photo was taken by the PO (heavy on the "previous" since I bought it home today!). Looks like I'm the proud owner of these here dents! I'll get a better picture from different angles tomorrow. Think these panels need to be replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 ext dents.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	17448  
__________________
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Maybe not.
Try pulling on the center of each dent with a suction cup dent puller. I had a huge dent in the rear curved egment of my tradewind, and it all but disappeared after pulling it out.
If creases remain, and if they bother you, then you will have to replace the segments.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:58 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
sierrajb's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 164
My plan is to do as you suggest first: Using a good suction cup, get a good grip in the middle of each dent, say another prayer, then PULL!!!!!! All the while, NOT falling off the ladder. I'm expecting several pulls from differing angles. I'm pretty sure the larger, shallower (is that a word?) one will be the easiest. My bigger concern is the sharper dent in that seam.

Option Two is remove the interior panel(s) and work from the inside to push things outward. I was studying the riveting of the interior end piece (headliner?). That's alot of rivets and it's all one piece, did you know that? Don't worry. I'll be checking in with you all to counsel me should it ever come to that.

Final Option is to replace the panels. (yuk) May have to live with a couple of "beauty marks"...who knows?

Pics Tomorrow? We'll see!
__________________
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12
Hi,

look at http://wueko.wuerth.com/
Part # 0691500111. It"s called dent-repair-system.
It works with hot-glue sticks and you can pull out dents without reaching the backside.
__________________
Today an airdreamer - tomorrow an airstreamer.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
sierrajb's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 164
English, Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue
Hi,

look at http://wueko.wuerth.com/
Part # 0691500111. It"s called dent-repair-system.
It works with hot-glue sticks and you can pull out dents without reaching the backside.
I checked out this overseas site and clicked on the option for ENGLISH. That helped get me to the product, but once there, the description of the product is in a foreign language. Any ideas for English-only students like me? (Correction: That's TEXAN English...if you know what I mean!)
__________________
sierrajb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:10 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 12
Hello,

try this link:
http://www.wurthusa.com/project/en/l...th=06.0181.jpg

Greetings from germany

Big Blue

P.S. I think texan english is like bavarian german.
__________________

__________________
Today an airdreamer - tomorrow an airstreamer.
Big Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water heater replacement Craig Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 36 12-18-2014 10:13 AM
Door Lock replacement? 3Ms75Argosy Doors & Locks 2 08-16-2002 12:12 AM
Accordian Door Replacement Tamara Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 2 06-17-2002 01:08 PM
Under Belly Skin Restoration... Andy R Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing 2 04-08-2002 12:46 PM
Hydraulic Brake Replacement DanLyle Brakes & Brake Controllers 2 03-26-2002 06:02 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.