Old 11-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
New endcap material

If one were to order NEW endcap segments to build something what type of aluminum would those endcaps be??

Do they come cleared?

Is it a polishable grade of aluminum?

Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
If you are talking about exterior segments, they are made of the same aluminum as the new trailers and not polish-able like your vintage trailer. Frank Yensen had a rant on a recent VAP broadcast about that very problem.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
If one were to order NEW endcap segments to build something what type of aluminum would those endcaps be??

Do they come cleared?

Is it a polishable grade of aluminum?

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
So I would need to kill a trailer to get polish able encaps?

Or can you still buy the old segments new?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Listen to episode 149. All new segments are made with the current aluminum. Airstream will not make new segments on the old dies with Alclad only the mill finish sheets.

Bill

Quote:

Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Listen to episode 149. All new segments are made with the current aluminum. Airstream will not make new segments on the old dies with Alclad only the mill finish sheets.

Bill
Well that blows..
Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
From what I know about it (not that I have done it) you need to get non-anodized sheets (EDIT: Alclad) if you were going to make your own. These are easy to get (so I have been told). It's the anodizing that makes aluminum non-polishable. Did you call Out Of Doors mart? They might know.. (I'm not in any way affiliated with them, they just seem to be a good place) You can get the sheets though...
Old 11-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:

You can buy replacement segments for the end caps from any A/S dealer.
I can tell you from first hand eyes on experience with Frank that if you spend enough time they will polish out but will not look the same as the vintage segments.
A/S is forming exact fit replacement segments from the new mill finish aluminum and if you're willing to spend endless hours polishing out that mill finish grain it will polish up but the color is diferent and will never match you're existing aluminum.
Your only choice is to find a donor trailer or get a segment from an RV salavger.
That is what Frank is doing. Look up RV REVIVE. They have several A/S that they are disassembing for parts.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H
From what I know about it (not that I have done it) you need to get non-anodized sheets if you were going to make your own. These are easy to get (so I have been told). It's the anodizing that makes aluminum non-polishable. Did you call Out Of Doors mart? They might know.. (I'm not in any way affiliated with them, they just seem to be a good place)
I think it is actually the grade of aluminum on the outer most surface ( purity )
Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris
You can buy replacement segments for the end caps from any A/S dealer.
I can tell you from first hand eyes on experience with Frank that if you spend enough time they will polish out but will not look the same as the vintage segments.
A/S is forming exact fit replacement segments from the new mill finish aluminum and if you're willing to spend endless hours polishing out that mill finish grain it will polish up but the color is diferent and will never match you're existing aluminum.
Your only choice is to find a donor trailer or get a segment from an RV salavger.
That is what Frank is doing. Look up RV REVIVE. They have several A/S that they are disassembing for parts.
Ahhh. Thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Alclad was an aircraft aluminum laminated product developed during WWII. Airstream used Alclad for the whole trailer in the old days. The new aluminum is a straight alloy and comes pre coated with a clear paint from the Alcoa factory. Not anodized. Silverstreaks and some Avions used anodize. Wally's "gold" trailer was gold anodized. I think that is the only one Airstream ever made. The new aluminum comes with a brushed finish and is difficult to polish so it will really shine. The new alloy, even if it were polished, still would not polish quite the same.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Alclad was an aircraft aluminum laminated product developed during WWII. Airstream used Alclad for the whole trailer in the old days. The new aluminum is a straight alloy and comes pre coated with a clear paint from the Alcoa factory. Not anodized. Silverstreaks and some Avions used anodize. Wally's "gold" trailer was gold anodized. I think that is the only one Airstream ever made. The new aluminum comes with a brushed finish and is difficult to polish so it will really shine. The new alloy, even if it were polished, still would not polish quite the same.
Anyone know the alloy?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Anyone know the alloy?
I assume that the aluminum used in the current Airstream production is the same as the base alloy Airstream has always used, 2024-T3. That's a high strength heat treated alloy.

The difference is that the current production uses mill finish pre-coated sheets. Pre-1982 (or thereabout) trailers used Alclad with a 2024-T3 substrate with an .005" layer of pure aluminum laminated on top. The pure aluminum has better corrosion resistance than the 2024-T3 and takes a very nice polish.

You might not have to "kill a trailer" to get a usable set of vintage end caps. Might find a trailer that a tree has fallen on amidships or been T-boned in a traffic accident. Or, you might find a junker that's not economically restorable, with a rotten floor and rusted frame, but a usable shell.

Whatcha buildin' ? An aluminum gazebo?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
2024T3 is what I got for the side of my '66 Trade Wind. I got it from
Aircraft supplies aluminum sheet 2024T3 4130 steel tubing Airparts inc - Aircraft construction supplies They sell it by the foot (I bought a roll 4' x 14'). Of course this is not shaped for endcaps. I can't help you with that.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
English Wheel

Of course if you have a REALLY old trailer with 13 segments they are actually flat sheets - cut your own alclad.

I can't believe that the factory won't make the older 5 & 7 piece endcaps out of alclad - especially if the customers are willing to pay the price.

A very skilled metalworker (and virtually endless money) could hand form segments with an English Wheel. If you're handy it's a skill that could be learned.

Paula