Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2006, 02:37 PM   #1

2004 19' Bambi
HOLLYWOOD , Florida
Need help with corrosion

Hi, I have a 2004 19' Bambi. I have corrosion forming on the exterior rear panels. The corrosion is only on the cut edges of the panels. I would appreciate any help to stop the spread of the corrosion and to mask the damage so that it is not so apparent.

Thanks
Samcpa
SAMCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Your trailer is 2 years old and you have corroding aluminum??????? Isn't that thing still under warranty?????

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingrayL82
Your trailer is 2 years old and you have corroding aluminum??????? Isn't that thing still under warranty?????

Frederic
SAMCPA,

Welcome to the forum.

Frederic was a bit intense for your first post, but he has a point.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
My 2003 has the same problem. Search the forum and you will find my saga and photos. In summary:

- The clear coating on your aluminum may lift on the edges, around rivits, or wherever a stone chip has occurred. Corrosion will start wherever the clear has lifted.
- Filiform corrosion can start at any defect in the clear and spread under the good clear film (looks like worm tracks)
- Salt seems to aggravate this: salt air from the sea, or road salt left on the trailer.
- There is no good repair process. Replacing skins is one option, but even a factory replacement is not the same as new (I know this from personal experience!)
- I don't know how to stop it. You may be able to slow it down by keeping it on a low salt diet, frequent washing and Walbernizeing might help.
- Some have suggested ACF-50, a WD-40-like spray that is marketed to light aircraft owners for corrosion prevention. ACF-50 has not worked well on the aircraft I have owned, so I would not hold out much hope... YMMV.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Samcpa,

Corrosion requires moisture. Is it possible the trailer is in the path of a lawn sprinkler or other source of water?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
Samcpa,
I have the same problem with my 2002 CCD. I have slight filiform corrosion (looks like worm tracks) around a few rivits and the door handle. I've tried ACF-50 and it seems to have slowed, and maybe even halted, the corrosion. I first applied it this winter and the trailer has been outside in our very wet weather. While the ACF-50 doesn't repair the problem, it does seem to halt the spread of the corrosion. You might try searching this site for ACF-50 posts and search the web for sources of the product. Good luck!
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #7
raybell23

2017 23' Flying Cloud
florence , South Carolina
Corrosion

Samcpa, I have a 2002 which had some small areas of corrosion near where other metal made contact with the aluminum skin. I called Airstream and this is what they told me to do. Take a small knife and scrape the oxidation away and then cover with clear finger nail polish. If it is small enough you can put a bead of silver joint sealer. They used Acryl-R SM5504 Narrow Joint Sealant made by Schnee- Morehead Inc.. I have since used the clear finger nail polish on a couple of other places. It has been over a year and it seems to work. I think the solution is to inspect the trailer often and catch any corrosion before it covers to large of an area. Good luck because its discouraging to see corrosion starting on your trailer. Ray
raybell27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Jeez, Samcpa, I didn't even see that it was your first post....sorry bout that, but it really steams me up to hear that owners of new A/S's have these problems.....they just don't build em like they used to, I guess. Tom's right, I can be a bit intense at times, but it's only because I have a passion for these tin cans.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Corrosion requires moisture. Is it possible the trailer is in the path of a lawn sprinkler or other source of water?
dmac's post about salt air is relevant. Onshore winds will deposit a fine mist that dries to a very thin salt layer. This attracts and holds moisture in humid conditions.

I would no more expect to encase an Airstream in clearcoat than I could expect to encase a wooden boat in epoxy. Edges/corners of sheetmetal would have the most thin and vulnerable clearcoat -- even before you get to considering friction from washing or fine road debris.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote