Old 06-23-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Mystery Dents

I am a new member but have visited this site for several months as a guest. Last fall I became the proud owner of a 64 Bambi II. I love the trailer almost as much as I love my wife. The trailer was in great shape, so all I did was make a few modifications to suit my taste.

A couple of weeks ago, I was outside admiring my new trailer when I saw a dent across the top of the roof. The dent was in front of the roof vent and looked like a tree had fallen across it. I looked around but did not see a fallen tree. As the day progressed and the sun went down, the dent disappeared. The next day, the sun came out and the dent reappeared. Being the Einstein I am, I developed the following formula. Hot+sunny day=dent, cool+cloudy day=no dent. One modification I did this spring was to have an A/C unit installed by an Airstream dealer. Although the dent forms in front of the vent, I wonder if the A/C unit might be the culprit.

When I first got the trailer, it was becoming cooler and I might have missed the dent form in the fall. It can't be good to have the metal flex back and forth during the day. Has anyone else had this experience and what can I do to stop it?

Old 06-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Welcome to the forums - officially. We have the same issue on a front segment of our argosy... I suspect that a dent was repaired/pushed out and that aluminum has some kind of memory. Glad you're here - sorry about the dent.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:57 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Same thing here and I deduced the same must be happening with the surface temperature of the skin. This was before getting the AC installed. I don't believe its from prior damage. Just make sure its a coudy day when you have an open house.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:58 PM   #4
Site Team

, Minnesota
I don't have that problem, but I agree that it can't be good to let it continue. Can you take it back to the dealer? I imagine sooner or later it will crack due to metal fatigue.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:02 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Dealer fix?

Probably not - 1964 bambi - unless AS has an amazing extended warranty program....

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hi Matt,

Liked your post. Thanks for sharing. Can you send us some photos of your rig and the dent? I, for one, am curious. The trailer sounds terrific. We love to see photos here.

Vintage owners call them "beauty marks". Small dents and dings often result from great experiences camping in your Airstream. I once owned a '67 Caravel that was in terrific shape and, for awhile, I was afraid of using it. But an old Airstream guru once told me wisely to "use it and enjoy it!". I did and never regretted it.

I was upset by the very first rock ding on our CCD but I learned to live with the inevitable wear and tear. It was almost a relief having that first blemish if you know what I mean.

Nice to have you onboard!
Old 06-24-2005, 03:05 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm very proud of the trailer and will love to post some pictures. I will have to get my camera from work and learn how to post pictures.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM
Thanks for the responses. I'm very proud of the trailer and will love to post some pictures. I will have to get my camera from work and learn how to post pictures.
If your camera has a resolution setting, set it on "low" for the photos you want to post here on threads. If the resolution is too high, it won't post, and you will lose photo quality if you reduce the resolution after the fact.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

I didn't make it back in time to get a photo of the trailer when it was hot and the dent was present. I did take some photos of my trailer and post them on my photo gallery. I can't tell you all how much I appreciated this site as a guest and I appreciate it even more as a member. I love the way your treat each person as a family member by being so helpfull, sharing advice, and even engage in a few squables now and then. I learned alot from this site when I got my trailer and hope to learn even more from each of you. Hopefully I will be able to give advice one day.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:39 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Matt,
Welcome to the forums from another North Carolinian ( I hate being accused of being a Tarheel ) These are just a couple of SWAG's given the short length of your trailer and the added weight of the aircondtioning; you may have shortened the available "length" for the metal to expand and contract. Even though the AC install was by an Airstream dealer did they add the extra bracing? IIRC the 64's did not come with this from the factory. The other is that it is an issue caused by a repair in the distant past and has been doing the dent thing for a while and was never noticed before. This are just a couple of ideas that came to mind...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
I have the exact same issue. I don't have AC though, and I believe my AS never had it installed. But I did do a shell off floor replacement, could it be that I did something wrong when resetting the shell?

Or is this from a pre existing dent that I never noticed before?

Kevin
Old 07-15-2005, 02:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Thermal expansion causes "oil canning" in most anything that uses aluminum.

Small aircraft have the same situation. Jet aircraft do the same thing.

Nothing to worry about.

That oil canning also changes depending on how the trailer may be supported with jacks.

Andy