Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
El Prado , New Mexico
metal plate on front panel???

I am replacing the interior and exterior lower front panels on my 65 overlander. When I removed the interior panel, I exsposed a steel plate that was riveted to the front exterior panel, just behing the tire rack. Does anyone know why this is there and do I need to rivet it back onto my new panel? It is about 10 inches tall and 20 inches long. It is placed about 6 inches off the floor. Nothing is attached to it, on the inside or the outside. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kewpie
kewpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
It should be attached to the "A" frame and the front skin of the trailer! In many ways this is what holds the trailer to the front of the frame! It is very vital part of how the stress is loaded though out the trailer! In other words think of it as the stress "key stone"
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Per Andy at Inland, this takes much of the stress of the front of the frame and holds it together. He recommends 5 rows of rivets in it side to side. We only have 2 rows in ours currently, and will add 2 rows in the spring when we start work again, but don't really have room for a 5th row. So I'd keep it!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
El Prado , New Mexico
Thank you so much for the information. I did take a second look and located the plate that is attached to the A frame. This is a secondary plate which extends the original plate. When I remove the skin, and replace I will re-attach both plates just like they are now. I now clearly understand the function.
Thanks again,
Kewpie
kewpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewpie View Post
Thank you so much for the information. I did take a second look and located the plate that is attached to the A frame. This is a secondary plate which extends the original plate. When I remove the skin, and replace I will re-attach both plates just like they are now. I now clearly understand the function.
Thanks again,
Kewpie
more info http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ose-41064.html
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewpie View Post
Thanks again,
Kewpie
When you reinstall the metal, add about 50 percent more rivets to the front hold down plate, since you already have it apart.

That will increase the hold down abilities.

Also, if you can, replace the panel below the window with .040 metal instead of the original .032.

Or, you can add another aluniinum panel on top of the original, for additional strength.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
When you reinstall the metal, add about 50 percent more rivets to the front hold down plate, since you already have it apart.

That will increase the hold down abilities.

Also, if you can, replace the panel below the window with .040 metal instead of the original .032.

Or, you can add another aluniinum panel on top of the original, for additional strength.

Andy
On mine, the PO overlaped the front panel, they did a great job, .064 thick, had to order longer rivets and could only get 3 rows, 33 rivets.

toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belly3.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	91262  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote